Author Topic: mini-STX NVMe SSD  (Read 353 times)

locurran

• View Profile
mini-STX NVMe SSD
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:08:26 PM »
Now that we have the mini-STX option with the ASRock H110M board in the build guide, is there an upgrade suggestion to the MyDigitalSSD? Reviews frequently mention how hot it runs. If we break the build's budget a bit, is there a better option in the 250G range? Seems that other brands were early leaders in the SSD field.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: mini-STX NVMe SSD
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
Now that we have the mini-STX option with the ASRock H110M board in the build guide, is there an upgrade suggestion to the MyDigitalSSD? Reviews frequently mention how hot it runs. If we break the build's budget a bit, is there a better option in the 250G range? Seems that other brands were early leaders in the SSD field.

Most PCIe drives run hot, especially when they're in hot systems. I wouldn't be too worried about the MyDigitalSSD BPX 240GB in this STX system. There's no video card to pour heat on top of it.

I've tested a number of PCIe-based drives. Simply put, there is no better 250GB-class drive than the MyDigitalSSD, especially given the price. That's why it's in the guide. If you want an upgrade, I'd go for the Plextor M8Pe 512GB M.2 PCIe. At $200 after Amazon coupon, it's a steal. If you're thinking the Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, I suggest you stay away. It's just not a very good drive.