Author Topic: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case  (Read 2469 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Comments or questions on TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case? Post them here!

dpluigi

• View Profile
Re: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »
Ari,

This is a great case and I really like the look and layout - so far my HTPC is very quiet.  Plenty of space for future upgrade, server drives and graphic cards for 4K when the time comes.  The Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU cooler is holding up quietly with the i7-7700 cpu.

I just looked yesterday evening into the installation of  a 3.5" Seagate Baraccuda HDD under the Optical drive.  It looks like the regular (short) screws are too small to secure the 3.5" HDD drive from the sides.  Note that I placed the Optical drive in place already and this drive come in second.

Aren't longer screws needed here and were they provided in the pack?   I mixed up all the hardware between the MSI Z270 Carbon Pro motherboard and the case. There is a longer screw which is referenced as SCREW - PAN - 4 X 4.8H - 6 - 32 X 3.4 - NI in the manual, but it is looks too long unless a spacer is used.

Also, the case came with anti vibrating ring (referenced as SHOCK TANT - RING - YEL - GRAY in teh manual).  Are these rings supposed to be used with the HDD as a spacer or do there need to fit in the holes on the mount flange?

On a side note, I thought it'd be plug and play to install a second Sata 3 HDD with Disk management, but the drive didn't show-up in teh Bios or Disk Management and the system would bootup so I'll look into this issue later.  I wonder the Sata port number / order matters for the primary boot m.2 HDD drive (taking the place of Sata 1) and my second drive (i.e. which can't be connected on Sata 1, and is connected after the optical drive).

Thank you,
Donat
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:17:25 PM by dpluigi »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Donat,

As it turns out, I was pretty confused by the two issues you raised about hard drive mounting as well. The correct screws did indeed come with the case, so you'll need to dig through the box to find them. The GD09 manual could have been a bit clearer in this regard, as multiple screws are listed for hard drive mounting.

For direct mounting the drives, you need to use "SCREW - I - 6 - 32 X 5 - BK". There's also the option of using "SCREW - PAN - 4 X 4.8H - 6 - 32 X 3.4 - NI," which I believe is designed to be used with the anti-vibration rings, although I didn't test them.

As for accessing your second hard drive, the first thing to try is a different SATA port. Perhaps you used the one that was disabled when you installed the M.2 drive. Also make sure it's properly connected with both data and power cables. As a test, you can pull the SATA data cable from your optical drive (which you know has been identified by Windows), and use it for the second hard drive. It should be seen immediately in the BIOS, but if it's not, you may have a hard drive issue.

Isosceles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
Hi Ari,

I just wanted to confirm something on your build with this case. Do you have both fans on the left hand side of the case (power supply side) as intake fans, and on the right hand side (drive-bay side) as exhaust?

Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
Hi Ari,

I just wanted to confirm something on your build with this case. Do you have both fans on the left hand side of the case (power supply side) as intake fans, and on the right hand side (drive-bay side) as exhaust?

Thanks.

Great question, Isosceles.

The answer actually depends on the components you have installed in the case, specifically the CPU cooler and the video card (if any). In the example build in this article, the single fan next to the power supply was used as an intake, and the two fans on the CPU side were used as exhausts.

If you provide more specifics, I can suggest the best option.

Isosceles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:02:10 AM »
Hi Ari,

Sorry for not dropping in the specifics, but here they are:

Video Card: GTX 1050
CPU Cooler: Noctua  NH -L9x65 SE AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Thanks again Ari.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:05:06 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
Hi Ari,

Sorry for not dropping in the specifics, but here they are:

Video Card: GTX 1050
CPU Cooler: Noctua  NH -L9x65 SE AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Thanks again Ari.

With this setup, I would prioritize CPU cooling, which means setting both fans near the CPU to intake, and the fan next to the PSU as exhaust. To a certain degree, this will mean that the GPU will  pull in some moderately-heated air for its own cooling, but it's so efficient and cool-running that it won't cause any issues. With two fans pointed at the CPU, your CPU cooler will remain silent, which is what you want in an HTPC.

Isosceles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
Thanks a lot Ari. I'm glad I asked this question, since I was about to set up the fans in the exact opposite flow!

Cheers

mm0047

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »
Ari,
 I liked building in this case, with the exception that the motherboard screws provided were too short to mount the board; I had to get aftermarket screws to mount your recommended board.  When I wrote to Silverstone saying that the supplied screws appeared to be too short, they replied that apparently the motherboard screws were not long enough (!); they did not offer to supply replacement screws, even after I asked for them.  S-like the case, don't like Silverstone tech support. BTW, the aftermarket screws I used were not extra length, they were just standard motherboard screws.  You might want to post my experience in your review of this case....

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »
Ari,
 I liked building in this case, with the exception that the motherboard screws provided were too short to mount the board; I had to get aftermarket screws to mount your recommended board.  When I wrote to Silverstone saying that the supplied screws appeared to be too short, they replied that apparently the motherboard screws were not long enough (!); they did not offer to supply replacement screws, even after I asked for them.  S-like the case, don't like Silverstone tech support. BTW, the aftermarket screws I used were not extra length, they were just standard motherboard screws.  You might want to post my experience in your review of this case....

mm0047 - thanks for the feedback. I'm going to share your comment with TBG's SilverStone rep to see if I can get any further insights into this issue. I didn't notice the short screws in my sample, but perhaps there was a mistake made with a recent production run.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 07:42:40 PM »
Ari,

mm0047 - thanks for the feedback. I'm going to share your comment with TBG's SilverStone rep to see if I can get any further insights into this issue. I didn't notice the short screws in my sample, but perhaps there was a mistake made with a recent production run.

I ran this by SilverStone, and they wanted to help you out. Here's what they said:

"our tech support in US and Taiwan both reported to me that they did not receive his e-mail. Can you ask him to send his e-mail directly to the following address? Michael will help take care of him: mh@silverstonetek.com"

I encourage you to reach out to Michael if you need any parts or have concerns about the quality of SilverStone's support.

mm0047

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
Ari,

Thank you for your quick and informative replies.  Now that I have a specifoc person to contact, I will reach out.  Appreciate your help.

V/R,

Mike

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
Ari,

Thank you for your quick and informative replies.  Now that I have a specifoc person to contact, I will reach out.  Appreciate your help.

V/R,

Mike

Happy to help.