Author Topic: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case  (Read 4138 times)

dpluigi

• View Profile
Re: TBG's review of the SilverStone GD09 ATX HTPC Case
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »
Great,

Thank you for the quick reply.  RTX 2070 is a better choice than 1080ti (used or new) to keep this case then.  I also wondered if there is an advantage with a three fans option and brand MSI vs EVGA vs Zortac... also I'll need to figure any size restrictions (hight and depts) for my case.  is my SilverStone Platinum 550W PSU sufficient for this GPU, NVIDIA recommends 650W?

I forgot to mention I have a hauppauge TV card in my case too.

Regarding the water cooling, I was wondering if there is an option to mount the radiator/fan block outside the case so that space is not a limitation and also, keep the airflow max out inside.  I have no experience with GPU (or CPU) water cooling and saw a 1080 T FE with Alphacool closed loop cooler on Ebay (sold for $520) and gave me food for thoughts.

Thanks,
Donat
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:26:29 PM by dpluigi »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
Great,

Thank you for the quick reply.  RTX 2070 is a better choice than 1080ti (used or new) to keep this case then.  I also wondered if there is an advantage with a three fans option and brand MSI vs EVGA vs Zortac... also I'll need to figure any size restrictions (hight and depts) for my case.  is my SilverStone Platinum 550W PSU sufficient for this GPU, NVIDIA recommends 650W?

I forgot to mention I have a hauppauge TV card in my case too.

Regarding the water cooling, I was wondering if there is an option to mount the radiator/fan block outside the case so that space is not a limitation and also, keep the airflow max out inside.  I have no experience with GPU (or CPU) water cooling and saw a 1080 T FE with Alphacool closed loop cooler on Ebay (sold for $520) and gave me food for thoughts.

Thanks,
Donat

The GD09 is not a good case for use with water cooling. Mounting something externally would require massive drilling or just leaving the case top off. Not elegant at all, nor really worth it given the intended use.

As for air cooling, tall cards will not work, and three-fan models will not fit either. Best to stick to the EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Gaming. Your SilverStone 550W PSU is more than sufficient. Nvidia's recommends 650W assuming you are using a cheap overrated model. The SilverStone Platinum is an ultra-high-end model.

dpluigi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 07:46:59 AM »
Hi,

I found cards that fit within (under) 5.25" and 12.2".  Regarding drilling holes, I was actually thinking of lifting up the back of the top case cover to allow water cooling tubes out.  It is discreet when looking from the front of my HT stand shelf and could even block some of the opening with duct tape.  If I did get a closed loop water cooling GPU, or later on installed one as a custom mod, you don't think it would work this way and would help displace some of the heat outside the case?  I am not really interested in overclocking but solid baseline quiet and efficient use.

Either way, I looked at the current case fans and the direction of the GPU fans.  The GPU fans sucks air from the left side when looking at the case from the front and above.  On the left of the case is the PSU and only 1 fan space left blank on the side,  and I installed two 120 PWM artic fans on the right side as intake.  Shall I reverse the flow and add a fan at the PSU as intake and the two at the right as exhaust?  (The only drawback is most dust would come from the two 90mm fan space left empty since I'd be working on negative pressure).

If airflow and/or cooling is an issue I could upgrade the case to the GD07 of GD08 Standard ATX HTPC cases, which have more room and an extra 120mm count, i.e. up to 4 120mm fans.  I could resel my case on Craigslist then - I still have the box and manual.

Thank you,
Donat
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:49:53 AM by dpluigi »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
If you upgrade to a high end video card with an open air cooler, install a 120mm fan as intake next to the psu and switch the other two to exhaust.

Skip liquid cooling. Not a good choice for this system.

dpluigi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 07:11:37 PM »
Great,

Thank you for clarifying so quickly.  I found a barely used Zortac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 AMP which I am trying to negotiate down from $650 to 600 on eBay and just found a "New" card from Gigabyte with the very same clock spec than this Zortac card (1830MHz) for $669.99.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080GAMING-OC-8GC#sp

There is also a new MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE 8G OC 8GB Graphics with a current bid of $560 on eBay.  So, all in all, I am being tempted by RTX 2080 cards for $100 more (or less) than the EVGA RTX 2070 Gamic you recommended.  So yes, I might install an RTX 2080 if I can find a good deal - i.e.referably new and not used or from eBay.

I'll keep you posted how my GPU upgrade performs and fits in the Silverstone case.
Have a great CES 2019

Best,
Donat