Author Topic: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine  (Read 22884 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »
Ok...I purchased the new bridge and it should be here on Friday. Query: Is it as simple as removing the bridge, taking out the optane and PNY, plugging them into the new slots, putting the bridge back on, and turning the computer back on? Or will I have to do any changes on the software side once things are in the new slots? Will the computer just detect the new slots? Since the OS is on the Optane will it just run automatically off the new slot?

Edit: The first game I decided to play is Doom 2016...I've heard this game doesn't really support SLI anyway but I'm pleased to report that even with one 2080ti it's running buttery smooth with every possible setting set to ultra... :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:38:29 AM by TekHed »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »
Yup, that's right - the bridge was really the issue in this build, not the motherboard itself. So the 3-slot bridge will allow you to move the Optane and PNY up one slot each.

Good question on moving the boot drive - the UEFI should detect that the PCIe boot drive is in another slot and boot it normally, but if not, we'll just need to make a change in the UEFI settings.

And you're correct, DOOM does not support SLI very well. You can see my benchmarks right here. Specifically, it's the Vulkan rendering option that doesn't actually support SLI at all - OpenGL does, but it's the slower engine because it while it sort of supports SLI, it can't cope with CPUs with more than 4 cores (which today is all of them!).

In short, don't worry, a single RTX 2080 Ti will max that game out without issue (you'll hit about 120fps at 4K, which of course is more than your current monitor will support). DOOM uses an incredibly efficient game engine, and yes, you should use the Vulkan rendering option in the graphics menu. So go ahead and play that game while you wait on the new bridge to arrive. It's no problem to leave the other 2080 Ti in the system unused. It will just be idling.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Next question...

Been chatting with the guy who helped me build it.

He is saying that he originally tried to install the Optane Drive in slot 2 (the one you want me to move it to when I bump the PNY from slot 4 to 3), but that it wouldn't detect the Optane drive in that slot in the BIOS. I watched him do this. Once he put the Optane into slot 3 it was detected and we could install windows on it. Any idea why this would be happening? Ideally I can just plug the Optane into slot 2, because otherwise in slot 4 it will block the PNY intake fan as you mentioned. I'd have to rejigger the whole thing and put Optane in slot 1, but that will require moving the fans on the radiator as well because the PNY is too long and blocks a fan from being wherever it is placed...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »
Then try it the Optane in slot six, the last slot on the board. You can (and should) try this right now by removing the PNY card. It could be that the second slot is using the same PCIe lanes as one of the M.2 slots. Don't worry too much about the PNY's cooling - just be glad it's a dual-slot card!

In any event, you can't rejigger it any other way. The video cards will only work in the first and fourth slots. Your builder would likely know that a graphics card can't be installed in a PCIe x4 slot which is where the PNY is right now. You can see these labels silkscreened right on the motherboard - maybe he missed that. You must use either x16 or x8 for a graphics card.

That last PCIe slot is a PCIe x8 slot, which will absolutely support the Optane drive.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »
Ok, optane is in slot 6 and the computer booted up fine and both cards are still recognized. Evga is in 1 and 2 slots and pny is in 4 and 5. Will be able to connect them with new bridge on Friday. The Optane is right up against the pny Gans and blocking them though.

I also just noticed that the fan on the Evga isn't working/on. The liquid radiator fan is just not the one on the card...any reason why?

Can you verify that the Optane won't work with the number 3 slot in between, or if maybe he missed something? I think it would be more ideal than blocking the PNY fans...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:54:38 PM by TekHed »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
Ok, optane is in slot 6 and the computer booted up fine and both cards are still recognized. Evga is in 1 and 2 slots and pny is in 4 and 5. Will be able to connect them with new bridge on Friday. The Optane is right up against the pny Gans and blocking them though.

I also just noticed that the fan on the Evga isn't working/on. The liquid radiator fan is just not the one on the card...any reason why?

Can you verify that the Optane won't work with the number 3 slot in between, or if maybe he missed something? I think it would be more ideal than blocking the PNY fans...

Always in the fine print!

The PCIEX4_1 slot shares bandwidth with the M2M_32G connector. The PCIEX4_1 slot becomes unavailable when a device is installed in the M2M_32G connector.

Source.

M2M_32G is in fact the middle (long) M.2 slot, which sits underneath your EVGA video card. I'm sure that one of your 970 Pro SSDs is in there.

So, just leave it as is - you know it will work, since you've tested it!

By the way, I can't quite remember if you got two 970 Pros or three. If you had only two, you could have installed them in the upper M.2 slot next to the CPU and the lower M.2 slot at the bottom of the board, which would have allowed you to use the second PCIe slot for something else. If you have three M.2 drives, well, then your current setup is the ONLY option, because you've maxed out your system's bandwidth! Hey, you wanted a Supreme Dream Machine, and that comes with pushing it to the max, right?!?

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »
Hm. So when you say the middle slot you mean slot 3? And yeah I have 3 M.2 drive. After disk utility I have 2.78 TB of blazing fast SSD. After installing all of my games I have about 1.34 TB left. :)

I think one thing I can do is switch the EVGA hybrid to slots 4 and 5 and move the PNY to slots 1 and 2, but I'll have to move one of the radiator fans to do so.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2019, 05:34:46 PM »
Hm. So when you say the middle slot you mean slot 3? And yeah I have 3 M.2 drive. After disk utility I have 2.78 TB of blazing fast SSD. After installing all of my games I have about 1.34 TB left. :)

I think one thing I can do is switch the EVGA hybrid to slots 4 and 5 and move the PNY to slots 1 and 2, but I'll have to move one of the radiator fans to do so.

Ah, yes, you're right, you can swap the EVGA and PNY cards, but that's a huge amount of work and could actually make things worse. You won't be able to exhaust your EVGA out the top anymore, and in fact I don't think you'll have anywhere to mount the radiator.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
Well...I tried. The problem is the PNY is too long and so it means I can only have two of the three CPU radiator fans mounted. We took one of them and mounted it as a second intake blowing over the PNY (and now the Optane in front of the PNY).

So what I tried to do was move the middle 2 position CPU cooler fan into the 3rd  position on the radiator (O_O insteads of OO_ like it is now) so that I could put the PNY where the EVGA is currently... but it didn't work. The damn PNY is so big that it can only fit where it is and the fans have to be where they are.

I am considering selling the PNY on Craigslist for around $1,000 and then eating the $300 difference to get one of these shorter ones instead...would that work?

That way I could put all three out fans over the radiator again.

What do you think? I know it's not strictly necessary but it would look better and more symmetrical, I'd get better CPU cooling and the power cables wouldn't be sandwiched between the end of the PNY right up into and directly on the CPU radiator Grill.

If you think it's a good idea I can use your link if it helps you. :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »
Well...I tried. The problem is the PNY is too long and so it means I can only have two of the three CPU radiator fans mounted. We took one of them and mounted it as a second intake blowing over the PNY (and now the Optane in front of the PNY).

So what I tried to do was move the middle 2 position CPU cooler fan into the 3rd  position on the radiator (O_O insteads of OO_ like it is now) so that I could put the PNY where the EVGA is currently... but it didn't work. The damn PNY is so big that it can only fit where it is and the fans have to be where they are.

I am considering selling the PNY on Craigslist for around $1,000 and then eating the $300 difference to get one of these shorter ones instead...would that work?

That way I could put all three out fans over the radiator again.

What do you think? I know it's not strictly necessary but it would look better and more symmetrical, I'd get better CPU cooling and the power cables wouldn't be sandwiched between the end of the PNY right up into and directly on the CPU radiator Grill.

If you think it's a good idea I can use your link if it helps you. :)

Good work attempting to rejigger it. If nothing else, all this fine-tuning is helping you learn how to assemble and disassemble your PC!

As for the RTX 2080 Ti swap, I really want to make sure you get your SLI working first. So wait for the new bridge to come in, test out the PNY in the original location, keep the Optane in the last slot, and if it all works, then I'll give you the go ahead to eat that loss! ;)

But yes, the EVGA model you linked to would be a good size, and in fact I have one sitting right here in front of me waiting for some Small Form Factor tests I'm going to be running tomorrow (I'm jamming it into a SilverStone SG13 shoebox case to test thermals for my SFF readership!). With that said, for the best match with your Hybrid, you'd want to get the XC Gaming, rather than the baseline Black Edition, as the factory-overclocked XC Gaming matches the clock rates of the Hybrid (and the PNY) you already have.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2019, 11:38:17 AM »
Bridge installed, SLI enabled!!!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2019, 02:15:26 PM »
Bridge installed, SLI enabled!!!

Awesome!

Now you can pick up that EVGA 2080 Ti Gaming XC we were talking about, and the best place to actually buy it is direct from EVGA. They'll even throw in a free shipping and a free PowerLink cable adapter. Alas, could have scored a discount on the EVGA bridge, but that is water under the bridge, no pun intended!

By the way, I do have an EVGA affiliate code, but it works differently than an Amazon link. When you register your card (which you absolutely should), just plug this code into the "affiliate" box: 80XTSXKZE2

And just FYI, I'm testing the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black right now, and the cooler is fantastic. I am actually really impressed at how cool it keeps this power-hungry GPU with just two fans and such a compact size.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 14, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
So I haven't had any interest on Craigslist...I think even at a discount that marketplace just ins't high end enough. I do know someone who works at YouTube gaming but as Google employees they are paid well and I think most either already bought their high end cards, or like I was are waiting for the next best thing to drop. They did all agree I was offering a good deal on a great card...\

...any chance you might want to buy it off me? Still have the original box too!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 14, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
So I haven't had any interest on Craigslist...I think even at a discount that marketplace just ins't high end enough. I do know someone who works at YouTube gaming but as Google employees they are paid well and I think most either already bought their high end cards, or like I was are waiting for the next best thing to drop. They did all agree I was offering a good deal on a great card...\

...any chance you might want to buy it off me? Still have the original box too!

Ha, ha, I'm more in the business of selling than buying, and as you know, I've already got an RTX 2080 Ti.

But I've got a suggestion for you: the Heatware forum marketplace. That's where I sell all my high-end gear. It's full of extremely trustworthy people, because Heatware was founded to provide rankings for second-hand traders.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 19, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »
OK I posted my card up there...thanks!