Author Topic: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine  (Read 13710 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:32 PM »
Well I won't have all my parts here for another couple weeks anyway, so that gives me time to find some help. :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/09/asus-reveals-liquid-and-air-cooled-rog-matrix-rtx-2080-ti-ces-2019?abthid=5c36877759d4788579000c8f

Better than my EVGA Hybrid?

Absolutely not. In fact, this may just be a publicity stunt, as it's very unlikely this card would perform any better than a standard air-cooled card. The claim that it performs almost as well as having an external 240mm radiator is simply absurd

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
Yeah I think it just means it will be quieter.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
Yeah I think it just means it will be quieter.

Sure, in the sense that it doesn't really need much of a pump. But it won't be quieter than an air cooler, and yet it's unlikely to perform much better, while cost a lot more.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »
Building it today. Finally.  ;D

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
Building it today. Finally.  ;D

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to check in!

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
Here she is! I have dubbed her "The Beast"!

I ended up paying an expert to build her who would allow me to sit in and help and oh boy and I glad I did!

Turned out to be quite a challenging build...the PNY card was so long it blocked one of the CPU cooler radiator fans...and I just barely missed the return cutoff for it. The EVGA was shorter. So we took the third to add one more intake fan that sucks air in and blows it over the PNY GPU. Then we have the intake fan from the back for a total of two intakes and then 2 fans on the CPU radiator and the one from the Hybrid GPU going out.

In order to fit both GPUs on the motherboard with the SLI spacing there was only one way to install them, meaning the Optane could only fit into one specific slot between them and still function. Unfortunately with the PNY GPU in the lower slot it actually covered up most of the power plug ins on the motherboard as well as the connectors for the USB ports on the front of the case meaning I can only use the USB ports on the back. Not a big deal in the end but yeah...not only would I have REALLY struggled on this on my own it would have taken me WAY longer. Including getting all the software installed and setup from start to finish the build took 12 hours total though he was cool and only charged me for 9. I would have been so lost on my own.

My one concern is that the feet I attached to make the new bottom are rather stubby, leaving only a tiny crack above the floor for the Power Supply intake...should I buy taller feet, or will they be ok? The computer is sitting only 3/16" above the floor and the Power Supply grill is located all the way in the far back corner...

Anyway, here she is...The Beast!!! And look how she fits perfectly into my setup!!!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:13 PM »
That. Is. Awesome.

Welcome to the pantheon of the PC Gaming Elite, TekHed. I totally understand needing some help with this build. It was pretty complex and the finished products looks great.

With that said, I think I see one oversight: you have a free USB 3.0 header clearly visible in the photo you posted, just below the 24-pin motherboard cable, which you can of course use to connect your front panel USB ports!

As for the feet you've added to the case, I believe the power supply will be OK. It doesn't actually sit flush against the case panel, so it can pull air in from the case itself. Just monitor the temperature of the air blowing out the back of it when you're gaming to make sure it's not getting too hot.

So, how does it run? Like a dream?

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2019, 09:34:09 PM »
wait, what now? I can connect USB where??? Can you draw a circle around the place to plug it in?

And air comes in from the back and wall side and blows out through front and cinder block side.

As for how it runs... I can say that the Optane drive makes it boot up in under 30 seconds, but I haven't actually played any games yet. I installed Steam, Origin, and GOG on the 970 Pro drives (RAID 0) and am currently still waiting for my games to download/install. Works nice with the TP-Link Deco. :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
Here you go:

Report back on how your games run - they should be beyond flawless!

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2019, 10:16:50 PM »
Yeah...I figured it out before I saw your post...conveniently labeled! When he did the cable management the guy helping me tucked in under but I quickly figured out how to thread it through and plug it in...I wonder how he missed that!!!

In other silly news, I bought Doom from Steam, as I intend it to be my first game played on The Beast in honor of one of my first childhood gaming experiences. But then I remembered I had already bought the colector's edition and had the disk so I cancelled the purchase on Steam...then I realized that I have no optical drive to install the disk..d'oh! So I repurchased it and it's queued up for installation now.  :P

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
May have hit my first snag...

I wanted to check if the SLI was working so I went into the Nvidia control panel and...there wasn't even an option given for SLI! Just Surround anmd Physex, where normally SLI control would be.

I did some digging on the net and others have had this issue...apparently not all of the PCI lanes will allow for SLI...and the only way we could fit everything in was in those specific slots. I looked at the manual for the motherboard and it looks like the top slot where the EVGA is is runnning x16 and the bottom slot where the PNY is only runs at x8.

Could this be the cause of the issue? Would hate to find out that I bought a $1,500 paperweight. Help!!!  :'(

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »
Here's a new slogan I just came up with: digging on the net will typically just dig you a hole!

So, there is a problem with your setup, but it's not that the slot is x8, it's that it's x4, which doesn't support SLI. Somehow you ended up with the wrong NVLink bridge, so yes, that is in fact a paperweight, and not a very good one, because it's super light!

You need to have your video card in the slot where your Optane drive is, and then you need to move the Optane drive to the empty slot above it (you could also put it in the empty slot that will become available once you shift the PNY card up, but that will block the PNY's first fan).

Remember how I said it was critical that you have a dual slot card in the top slot, which is why I liked the EVGA Hybrid model so much? This is the reason. There is only one possible setup for SLI on the Gigabyte board (and most boards), and to use it along with Optane, you needed at least one of your GPUs to be dual-slot, rather than triple-slot.

The good news is that the only thing you need is a new NVLink bridge: this EVGA 3-slot model.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
Ah. So the 3 slot is horter allowing me to move the lower card and optane up a slot?