Author Topic: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine  (Read 10781 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »
Oh.

Hm. I was just about to post that Amazon won't allow me to buy more than 1 Ti from the link on the build page. I'd like to support you so if you have another Amazon link for the same price I will use that. I see you posted a pricier Newegg link which I'm happy to use, but now I am considering your idea about waiting on a hybrid for the liquid cooler...

That kind of seems good BUT...remember with my case I'm going to have it on what would normally be the side so there won't be a "top" card like normal. Still good to wait for liquid cooled anyway?

Even so...for the games I'm going to be playing first one 2080 ti is already overkill...however I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077...  8)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
Oh.

Hm. I was just about to post that Amazon won't allow me to buy more than 1 Ti from the link on the build page. I'd like to support you so if you have another Amazon link for the same price I will use that. I see you posted a pricier Newegg link which I'm happy to use, but now I am considering your idea about waiting on a hybrid for the liquid cooler...

That kind of seems good BUT...remember with my case I'm going to have it on what would normally be the side so there won't be a "top" card like normal. Still good to wait for liquid cooled anyway?

Even so...for the games I'm going to be playing first one 2080 ti is already overkill...however I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077...  8)

Thanks for letting me know about that purchase limit on Amazon. What a pain!

But it's all for the best, as I think you really should wait on that Hybrid. Even with the case on its side, one card will run much hotter than the other, so it really helps. If the Hybrid does indeed make it to market, it will be the recommend model for the SDM.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
Ok...I will wait. And I can wait on the bridge then too.  :)

3 970 Pros is just a tiny bit more expensive than a single Optane so that really does seem the better option for my purposes. Given the snail-speed 2011 Macbook Pro I've been dealing with a 970 on the OS is going to be like a divine revelation!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Ok...I will wait. And I can wait on the bridge then too.  :)

3 970 Pros is just a tiny bit more expensive than a single Optane so that really does seem the better option for my purposes. Given the snail-speed 2011 Macbook Pro I've been dealing with a 970 on the OS is going to be like a divine revelation!

Yes, 3TBs worth of 970 Pro does make a lot more sense than 1TB worth of Optane. But you can always dream, which is what the SDM is about!

Sure, wait on that NV Link bridge - it may go down in price over time anyway, so no reason to buy it today just to have it sit in the box.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
And it's done!!!

After shipping and over $500 in tax it came out to being just over $8k, with that Hybrid it will end up being around $9.5k including the case and peripherals. I'm going to hire a pro to put it all together for me rather than risk any issues so that will probably take the final price close to that 10k mark. Hope you get some nice kickbacks from your links...I really appreciate all your help and advice!

You know...I ALMOST said screw it and went for the Optane, because at this point what's another $800 (which would have been the difference after subtracting one of the 970 Pros)...but I didn't simply because I don't know how many slots the Hybrid will eventually take up.

This has been a few years in the making/saving.waiting/procrastinating.  :)

The case as you know isn't fancy like the usual SDM cases you showcase but I kind of like that it's going to be this stealthy compact cube in the corner.

Actually that's a good question...there will be my surround system sub but it's going to be 8 inches away with a cinderblock in between...is that enough distance?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »
Congrats on finally bringing this system together. It has been a long time in the making, but I think it will have been worth the wait! I'd typically recommend that readers build their own system for the experience, but this is a fairly complicated build, and the CPU/motherboard combo alone costs more than most CPUs. That's where I'd be very, very patient if I were doing it myself - the socket pins can bend easily. I've done that on some cheap motherboards and it's trashed them. So you should still consider trying this on your own, but make sure you full understand how the CPU sits in the socket.

Regarding the speaker, if you're worried about electromagnetic interference, or the subwoofer's magnet causing data errors, you should be fine. The only thing that can really be affected by a large magnet as far as I know is a traditional hard drive, which itself uses magnets. Keep your external RAID as far as possible from the subwoofer and you should be fine.

And of course, thanks for using the affiliate links - that's a huge help to the forum and the site.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2018, 11:14:51 PM »
Hm.

Well I did put computers together at a shop as a summer gig but that was a long time ago. So in theory I know how to insert the the CPU, and basically plug everything in, but that was a long time ago. Tech has come a long way and I've never done anything with liquid coolers or thermal paste, or overclocking...My handle here comes from a tabletop rpg, but ironically I'm not really that tech savvy if you couldn't tell, which is why I rely on experts such as yourself! ;)

Mainly I don't have a ton of extra time and I'm concerned I'll screw up the software installation and integration of all the components and getting them all talking well, overclocking etc.. But yeah...also nerve wracking to have my first build in 20 years be on masterwork equipment! How long would it take do you think for a first time person to put it all together? What might be best for me is to find someone I know who has a lot of experience to kind of walk through it with me...

And yeah...my current external RAID drives are sitting on a wooden shelf to the upper right of the woofer, so apparently that hasn't been an issue!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:19:43 PM by TekHed »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2018, 02:15:56 PM »
Hm.

Well I did put computers together at a shop as a summer gig but that was a long time ago. So in theory I know how to insert the the CPU, and basically plug everything in, but that was a long time ago. Tech has come a long way and I've never done anything with liquid coolers or thermal paste, or overclocking...My handle here comes from a tabletop rpg, but ironically I'm not really that tech savvy if you couldn't tell, which is why I rely on experts such as yourself! ;)

Mainly I don't have a ton of extra time and I'm concerned I'll screw up the software installation and integration of all the components and getting them all talking well, overclocking etc.. But yeah...also nerve wracking to have my first build in 20 years be on masterwork equipment! How long would it take do you think for a first time person to put it all together? What might be best for me is to find someone I know who has a lot of experience to kind of walk through it with me...

And yeah...my current external RAID drives are sitting on a wooden shelf to the upper right of the woofer, so apparently that hasn't been an issue!

A build like this would probably take about two hours, once you've unpacked all the gear (which itself will take some time, but not a lot of concentration). You could probably handle it if you built PCs in the past, even many years ago. It's mostly screw in this, plug in that, insert this, and power on. The most time-consuming part will probably be tidying up cables and wires, assuming you'd like this build to look as fancy as it is!

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
Oh yes, I need help with the cable management