Author Topic: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine  (Read 2986 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: Building a Supreme Dream HTPC Machine
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »
Negative pressure?

The hv200i is the cpu cooler yes?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
Negative pressure?

The hv200i is the cpu cooler yes?

You'll be using the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 CPU Cooler.

Negative pressure is caused by more air being drawn out than pushed in, and typically forces air to be drawn in through passive vents in the chassis. This can in turn lead to some dust buildup. I'm still debating in my head what the best setup would be for your needs. That's in part why I'd like you to check back in when you're ready to buy, as I can then really give some thought to the exact parts to use. I might prefer air-cooled GPUs in your situation, in part due to the relatively small size of the case (it's ATX, but it's not in the "super-tower" ATX class I recommend for the Supreme Dream Machine).

By the way, because this build is really getting to be pretty different from the standard Supreme Dream Machine, I'm going to split off this topic into a separate thread on the forum.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Ok, I'll look for the new topic. :)

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
Subscribed. :)

Yeah I did some research and there seemed to be a lot if debate about pressure. Some say negative for getting the heat out, some say positive for the dust, which in my old house really is a major issue, especially on the floor where this will likely sit. I wish I had more space but I just do not!

Thanks for giving it more thought. Why are you recommending a different cpu cooler than the dream one? And didn't you just say liquid is categorically better?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
Subscribed. :)

Yeah I did some research and there seemed to be a lot if debate about pressure. Some say negative for getting the heat out, some say positive for the dust, which in my old house really is a major issue, especially on the floor where this will likely sit. I wish I had more space but I just do not!

Thanks for giving it more thought. Why are you recommending a different cpu cooler than the dream one? And didn't you just say liquid is categorically better?

The semi-custom cooler in the Supreme guide may not fit in this case, which is why I'm recommending a different one.

And yes, liquid cooling is categorically better from a performance point of view. From the point of view of a builder and end-user, however, it is not. It's much harder to install, especially in the setup you are considering with three radiators in a small space, and typically much louder as well. In fact, this system will VERY loud with three pumps in it. If you need that last 1% of performance, then you go liquid, but it has very significant downsides.

Like I said, I'm giving it some more thought.  ;)

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Oh wow. I thought liquid would be less noisy than a bunch of fans.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
Oh wow. I thought liquid would be less noisy than a bunch of fans.

Nope, still requires just as many fans, if not more. And it's the pump that's really loud.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
You might be interested in my initial impressions on watching 4K HDR content on the LG 65" C6P: http://techbuyersguru.com/forum/index.php?topic=386.msg4061#msg4061

To cut to the chase, this is why I make recommendations regarding cutting-edge tech based on my own reviews, not those of other review sites.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
Hi Ari!

Been a minute so wanted to check in and touch base.

First of all, congratulations on your new partnership, and for getting a Youtube channel going. Keep up the great work putting out content!

Have you given any more thought to the challenge of this build?

As it turns out, for tax purposes, it is to my advantage to spend as much money as possible on a new PC, though that does not supercede the desire for performance, i.e. I'd still get the 1080ti over the more expensive Titan xp.

I am however a bit concerned after seeing your cryptocurrency article. As long as I buy and build before the end of the year I'm good, and I do want to get the best build money can buy in that time.

Thoughts?

P.S. Happy 4th!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
Things have changed a bit since we last conversed. There are all new high end Intel CPUs, which you'll definitely want to use, but which run pretty hot. Second, there's mining, and everything but the 1080 Ti has risen in price dramatically. Then there's the continuing increase in SSDs and RAM.

Can you provide a ranking of importance of the following three factors?
1) noise
2) size
3) performance

A rough budget would be helpful too.

I should add that I've now tested a liquid cooled GTX 1080 Ti, and while it's ideal for a system that will be used for nothing but gaming, the idle noise is too high for a home theater PC.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:15:02 PM by Ari Altman »

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2017, 02:19:05 AM »
The size limits are pretty much unalterable, as it has to fit into the space previously discussed.

Will be used primarily for gaming, though obviously if it's too loud that can drown out the sounds of the game and interfere with immersion.

Best performance possible, with a budget of 10k or possibly more...

We had found a great case I could rig on its side, which looked perfect but for the issues of negative pressure.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2017, 06:34:34 AM »
The size limits are pretty much unalterable, as it has to fit into the space previously discussed.

Will be used primarily for gaming, though obviously if it's too loud that can drown out the sounds of the game and interfere with immersion.

Best performance possible, with a budget of 10k or possibly more...

We had found a great case I could rig on its side, which looked perfect but for the issues of negative pressure.

Ok, got it. With this information in hand, I can recommend a few updates for you. I'll put together a list and post back a little later. We're going all liquid!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
All right, here you go with an updated build using the latest components, literally some so new that you'll need to pre-order them:

(1) CPU: Intel Core i9-7900X
(2) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X299
(3) Video Cards: 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Hybrid
(4) Memory: Corsair 4x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
(5) Case: Corsair Carbide 540
(6) Power Supply: Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W Platinum
(7) Primary SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB MLC PCIe
(8 ) Secondary SSD: Mushkin Reactor 2TB MLC SATA
(9) CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i v2
(10) OS: Windows 10 Flash Drive
(11) Optical Drive (if required): LG 24x DVD Burner or LG 16x Blu-Ray Burner

Note that this setup will draw a lot of power. I'm very serious about the PSU requirement listed above - you actually do need this much wattage. Also, the Mushkin Reactor drive is a rare find at its pricepoint, featuring fast MLC NAND. While it's an older design, it's what I recommend for you as long as it's available.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:40:28 PM by Ari Altman »

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »
Is there a reason why you downgraded the SSD and ram? Would like to max out everything including the 6 TB SSD. The idea was to fit the dream machine into a smaller form factor, with the case you recommended before. You were just concerned about fan placement and negative air pressure...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »
Is there a reason why you downgraded the SSD and ram? Would like to max out everything including the 6 TB SSD. The idea was to fit the dream machine into a smaller form factor, with the case you recommended before. You were just concerned about fan placement and negative air pressure...

The 850 Evo 4TB has skyrocketed in price since we last chatted. It's still listed in the Supreme Dream Machine, but truth be told it's a bit of a waste of money. Get two of the Mushkin Reactors if you want 4TB of space. And of course, you can get the 960 Pro 2TB rather than the 1TB. I just used that as a reference point.

With the liquid cooler setup, you're not going to have to worry about negative pressure. You'll have relatively balanced pressure, and liquid cooling really doesn't need positive pressure to work well.