Author Topic: TBG's High-End Home Theater PC Buyer's Guide  (Read 9609 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's High-End Home Theater PC Buyer's Guide
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
Gene,

If you still have your original Windows install media (likely a thumb drive), you can reinstall Windows from scratch and you'll return to an older version of Windows. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the system generally worked to your satisfaction before the Windows 10 update was rolled out. Just make sure you shut off auto-updates.

The other issue you mention, needing to reboot the PC when you turn on your AV, is a pretty common issue relating to how the HDMI handshake (copy protection) works. I often have that with my own HTPC hooked up through a Pioneer AV. There's probably one handshake status for AV on, and another for off (likely pass-through). I'm not sure why it would take 3-4 reboots, but yes, one reboot is probably the norm.

geneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Ari,
I want to thank you once again for all of your help with Windows, the build recommendations and encouragement along the way. 
I've been running a dual boot Linux/Windows HTPC with the parts I ordered from your website and sent you the build photos about.  The 5.1 issue has gone away completely on the Linux side of the house and I'll stick with Linux from here on out.  I'll keep the Windows Operating System until I need the space for something else. 
I've been using everything described in my initial build and have not had to replace anything nor re-install Windows (dodged a big bullet there) and I'll now have complete control over the Linux side of things.

Gene

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »
Ari,
I want to thank you once again for all of your help with Windows, the build recommendations and encouragement along the way. 
I've been running a dual boot Linux/Windows HTPC with the parts I ordered from your website and sent you the build photos about.  The 5.1 issue has gone away completely on the Linux side of the house and I'll stick with Linux from here on out.  I'll keep the Windows Operating System until I need the space for something else. 
I've been using everything described in my initial build and have not had to replace anything nor re-install Windows (dodged a big bullet there) and I'll now have complete control over the Linux side of things.

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for reporting back on your success using Linux. Which version of Linux did you install? Were there any challenges along the way that others might want to know about? Amazing to hear that Linux has better audio support than Windows 10!

Peo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:37 PM »
Hi Ari and everyone,

I'm about to build one of these and have few questions to the forum:

1. Has anyone used Kodi Linux build?
2. Can't find that memory in my country, and as you mentioned Ari it's better if it's single channel - how can I determine that?
3. I would like to stick 10Tb on SSD M.2 only, any tips on achieving that?

Thank you,
Peo

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi Ari and everyone,

I'm about to build one of these and have few questions to the forum:

1. Has anyone used Kodi Linux build?
2. Can't find that memory in my country, and as you mentioned Ari it's better if it's single channel - how can I determine that?
3. I would like to stick 10Tb on SSD M.2 only, any tips on achieving that?

Thank you,
Peo

Welcome, Peo!

There are several forum users who have used Kodi/Linux for an HTPC build, but none have mentioned it recently. That being said, a forum member was quite active a few days ago talking about his Kodi/Windows build, so you might post in this thread to see if you can ask him some question about Kodi generally, if you'd like.

The memory you want is "single rank," not "single channel." It's a bit frustrating that there are so many similar terms we now have to keep track of, I know! The two manufacturers that have the broadest selection of clearly-labeled single-rank RAM are Kingston HyperX and Crucial Ballistix. You could also go with a Ryzen-specific G.Skill Flare X RAM kit, if they're available in your country.

In terms of 10TB of M.2 storage, you're slightly ahead of the industry there! The largest M.2 drives today are 2TB, with the leading contenders being the Samsung 970 Evo PCie and Samsung 860 Evo SATA drives. While you could use two SilverStone EMC22 SATA/PCIe adapters to add another three 2TB drives (the ECM22 supports one PCIe drive and one SATA drive with a jumper cable), I wouldn't recommend it, as it will limit the number of other expansion cards you can use. Just pick up one each of the 970 Evo and 860 Evo M.2 drives (the Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming has one PCIe/SATA slot and one PCIe-only slot), and then add two 860 Evo 4TB 2.5" drives. That will take you to 12TB.