Author Topic: TBG's High-End Home Theater PC Buyer's Guide  (Read 8317 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's High-End Home Theater PC Buyer's Guide
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
Gene,

If you still have your original Windows install media (likely a thumb drive), you can reinstall Windows from scratch and you'll return to an older version of Windows. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the system generally worked to your satisfaction before the Windows 10 update was rolled out. Just make sure you shut off auto-updates.

The other issue you mention, needing to reboot the PC when you turn on your AV, is a pretty common issue relating to how the HDMI handshake (copy protection) works. I often have that with my own HTPC hooked up through a Pioneer AV. There's probably one handshake status for AV on, and another for off (likely pass-through). I'm not sure why it would take 3-4 reboots, but yes, one reboot is probably the norm.

geneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Ari,
I want to thank you once again for all of your help with Windows, the build recommendations and encouragement along the way. 
I've been running a dual boot Linux/Windows HTPC with the parts I ordered from your website and sent you the build photos about.  The 5.1 issue has gone away completely on the Linux side of the house and I'll stick with Linux from here on out.  I'll keep the Windows Operating System until I need the space for something else. 
I've been using everything described in my initial build and have not had to replace anything nor re-install Windows (dodged a big bullet there) and I'll now have complete control over the Linux side of things.

Gene

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »
Ari,
I want to thank you once again for all of your help with Windows, the build recommendations and encouragement along the way. 
I've been running a dual boot Linux/Windows HTPC with the parts I ordered from your website and sent you the build photos about.  The 5.1 issue has gone away completely on the Linux side of the house and I'll stick with Linux from here on out.  I'll keep the Windows Operating System until I need the space for something else. 
I've been using everything described in my initial build and have not had to replace anything nor re-install Windows (dodged a big bullet there) and I'll now have complete control over the Linux side of things.

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for reporting back on your success using Linux. Which version of Linux did you install? Were there any challenges along the way that others might want to know about? Amazing to hear that Linux has better audio support than Windows 10!