Author Topic: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)  (Read 37487 times)

beachedaz

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:19 PM »
Yay Finally completed ITX build today and have just been trialing it out and really happy so far. Specs are exactly as in guide only I used the Noctua NH-L12s for the CPU cooling and managed to slot in a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT. Also added a baracuda SATA 2.5" 4tb hdd just for basic cheap storage (of note this would not fit in nicely as the top metal press outs on the SG13 case for mouting a 140mm fan interfered with it sitting back nicely and i ended up drilling out and removing that metal). After a problematic start - no video out but all other lights/power working (pulled it all apart a few times guessing it might be a not well connected ram module even though visually and physically it appeared home) I gave up and soldered up a little motherboard speaker to ascertain the problem (the z930i MOB didn't come with one)... and sure enough on connecting the speaker and starting it up - the problem magically disappeared never to be seen again - all it wanted it appears is a voice :) "The second worst problem is to have a bug and not no why. The worst problem is to fix a bug and not know why." Ran out of the nice Noctua CPU thermal compound (there was enough for two installs) and used a standard substitute - feel like the Noctua one was better by a degree but hard to really tell all still working fine though. Would love to post some pictures but not sure how as I feel they might help others with gaps and spacing as I had way more room above the CPU cooler than I was lead to expect.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »
Yay Finally completed ITX build today and have just been trialing it out and really happy so far. Specs are exactly as in guide only I used the Noctua NH-L12s for the CPU cooling and managed to slot in a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT. Also added a baracuda SATA 2.5" 4tb hdd just for basic cheap storage (of note this would not fit in nicely as the top metal press outs on the SG13 case for mouting a 140mm fan interfered with it sitting back nicely and i ended up drilling out and removing that metal). After a problematic start - no video out but all other lights/power working (pulled it all apart a few times guessing it might be a not well connected ram module even though visually and physically it appeared home) I gave up and soldered up a little motherboard speaker to ascertain the problem (the z930i MOB didn't come with one)... and sure enough on connecting the speaker and starting it up - the problem magically disappeared never to be seen again - all it wanted it appears is a voice :) "The second worst problem is to have a bug and not no why. The worst problem is to fix a bug and not know why." Ran out of the nice Noctua CPU thermal compound (there was enough for two installs) and used a standard substitute - feel like the Noctua one was better by a degree but hard to really tell all still working fine though. Would love to post some pictures but not sure how as I feel they might help others with gaps and spacing as I had way more room above the CPU cooler than I was lead to expect.

Glad to hear that this worked out so well. Funny conclusion you have about the worst problem being fixing a bug and not knowing how you did it!

As for posting photos, you can do so, but you need to host them on a third-party image hosting service, like Imgur or imgbb.

Note that the Noctua NH-L12S may appear to have a lot of clearance under the PSU, but it wouldn't come close to fitting without the SFX PSU adapter listed in the guide. Also, the original assembly guide used a taller cooler, but the Noctua and other shorter models like it (the Scythe Big Shuriken and be quiet Shadow Rock LP) are really a better match overall.

Gekko64

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »
wouldn't it be better to go with the 3600 if you're not going to use the wraith prism cooler? you could maybe still cram in an XPG ssd ;D

also, iirc the build used a 1700 PWM case fan for a while, I guess the 1300 was deemed to be the best compromise between noise and performance?

thanks for the ongoing effort, the low profile cooler comparison was really nice :D

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2019, 10:54:41 PM »
wouldn't it be better to go with the 3600 if you're not going to use the wraith prism cooler? you could maybe still cram in an XPG ssd ;D

also, iirc the build used a 1700 PWM case fan for a while, I guess the 1300 was deemed to be the best compromise between noise and performance?

thanks for the ongoing effort, the low profile cooler comparison was really nice :D

You know, when I reviewed the 3600X, I wasn't that excited about it, because it wasn't that much faster. But it is in fact about 150MHz faster in my testing, and it's only $40 more now thanks to a price drop, so I think that's a pretty good value. As for the Wraith Spire cooler, I actually don't like it all - it's too loud. Hence the aftermarket cooler. The 3600 is a good choice for those who want to tinker, the 3600X is running at nearly its max speed out of the box, so you don't have to mess with it. But I'll keep your thoughts in mind - the XPG SX8200 Pro is a fantastic choice to spend that extra $40 on, in fact it's exactly what I'd do if I were building the system for myself!

As for the case fans, 1700RPM is fine if you're willing to adjust fan speeds a bit, because at default it will ramp up to a very audible level quite often. 1300RPM is actually better for a case fan, because it will never get all that loud, and you don't need the airflow that 1700RPM produces in most situations.

Landris

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
Hi Ari,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for when my ancient gaming computer died, and it finally did so I can justify building a new one! I really appreciate your work and responsiveness in the forums.

A while ago you wrote about some alternative options to make this build quieter. Specifically, the two changes you suggested were the case fan (Arctic F12 -> Scythe Kaze Flex) and PSU (SilverStone SX500-G -> Corsair SF600). The defaults for both of those things have since changed, so I'm wondering if those same swaps are worthwhile or if the Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM and the EVGA Supernova 550 GM are good quiet choices?

What, if any, changes would you make to this October 2019 build if I wanted to prioritize making it quieter? I don't want to sacrifice too much performance, so I would want to stick with the 2070 Super.

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2019, 07:10:05 PM »
Hi Ari,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for when my ancient gaming computer died, and it finally did so I can justify building a new one! I really appreciate your work and responsiveness in the forums.

A while ago you wrote about some alternative options to make this build quieter. Specifically, the two changes you suggested were the case fan (Arctic F12 -> Scythe Kaze Flex) and PSU (SilverStone SX500-G -> Corsair SF600). The defaults for both of those things have since changed, so I'm wondering if those same swaps are worthwhile or if the Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM and the EVGA Supernova 550 GM are good quiet choices?

What, if any, changes would you make to this October 2019 build if I wanted to prioritize making it quieter? I don't want to sacrifice too much performance, so I would want to stick with the 2070 Super.

Thanks!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Landris! Sorry to hear your old PC died, but at least you knew the day was coming!

As it happens, while the changes made to the build for October 2019 weren't specifically for purposes of making it quieter (it has more to do with price increases due to tariffs in the US), the end result is perfect for you: absolutely the best gear you can get for making the PC silent. The Supernova 550 GM is quieter than the SX500-G, and on par with the SF600, yet much cheaper at this point (at least in the US). And the Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM fan is easily the equal of the Scythe Kaze Flex. I actually like the slightly higher RPM limit on the Noctua (1300RPM vs. 1200RPM) for this build, due to the constricted nature of the case, but both are excellent fans.

So, in short, go with the build as it stands right now, and good luck grabbing a 2070 Super, making sure you don't go for anything but a reference-sized model!

Landris

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
Hi Ari,

Thanks!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Landris! Sorry to hear your old PC died, but at least you knew the day was coming!

As it happens, while the changes made to the build for October 2019 weren't specifically for purposes of making it quieter (it has more to do with price increases due to tariffs in the US), the end result is perfect for you: absolutely the best gear you can get for making the PC silent. The Supernova 550 GM is quieter than the SX500-G, and on par with the SF600, yet much cheaper at this point (at least in the US). And the Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM fan is easily the equal of the Scythe Kaze Flex. I actually like the slightly higher RPM limit on the Noctua (1300RPM vs. 1200RPM) for this build, due to the constricted nature of the case, but both are excellent fans.

So, in short, go with the build as it stands right now, and good luck grabbing a 2070 Super, making sure you don't go for anything but a reference-sized model!

Thanks so much! I'm in Canada so although we don't have the same tariffs, prices tend to follow US prices. Your suggested Zotac 2070 Super is actually available on Amazon in Canada with less than a week's delay.

Thanks again, I will try to get some pictures as I build.

Landris

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
One additional question, if you don't mind: I found a shorter version of the Zotac 2070 super, "ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 Super Mini", which says that it is only 209.6mm x 126.1mm x 41mm (8.25in x 4.96in x 1.61in).

Am I right in thinking that this card would allow a 140mm case fan? Would that be worthwhile for air flow, or would it potentially be counteracted by a hotter video card?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
One additional question, if you don't mind: I found a shorter version of the Zotac 2070 super, "ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 Super Mini", which says that it is only 209.6mm x 126.1mm x 41mm (8.25in x 4.96in x 1.61in).

Am I right in thinking that this card would allow a 140mm case fan? Would that be worthwhile for air flow, or would it potentially be counteracted by a hotter video card?

I hadn't been aware of the Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. With that said, I wouldn't recommend it. That's because the 2070 Super is not a low-power GPU - it uses nearly as much power as the RTX 2080, which is to say it can run hot. The Mini cooler is barely adequate for a card of this type.

For the record, however, you are right that a 140mm fan could fit if you used that GPU. The maximum card length if you wanted to install a 140mm fan in the SG13 chassis is 9.6". The 2070 Super Mini is 8.25". But the trade-off in terms of cooling isn't worth it. You'd lose more in the GPU than you'd gain in the 140mm fan. The only place to use the 2070 Super Mini is in a chassis that requires a card that short. There aren't many cases designed around this size card, but that doesn't matter too much to Zotac - it uses these cards in its own line of Magnus gaming PCs, which is why they exist at all.

Landris

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2019, 08:22:49 PM »

I hadn't been aware of the Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. With that said, I wouldn't recommend it. That's because the 2070 Super is not a low-power GPU - it uses nearly as much power as the RTX 2080, which is to say it can run hot. The Mini cooler is barely adequate for a card of this type.

For the record, however, you are right that a 140mm fan could fit if you used that GPU. The maximum card length if you wanted to install a 140mm fan in the SG13 chassis is 9.6". The 2070 Super Mini is 8.25". But the trade-off in terms of cooling isn't worth it. You'd lose more in the GPU than you'd gain in the 140mm fan. The only place to use the 2070 Super Mini is in a chassis that requires a card that short. There aren't many cases designed around this size card, but that doesn't matter too much to Zotac - it uses these cards in its own line of Magnus gaming PCs, which is why they exist at all.

Great, thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Koussy

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
Hi Ari,

Just found your website while looking for a guide to build a compact gaming desktop and its the exact thing I wanted ! I was originally inspired by the Corsair One  i160 but that's definitely out of my price range lol. Anyway, the UI for your site is very easy to navigate and your writing style is informative and concise. Thanks alot for the guide.

Would I be able to upgrade to a 2080 Super with the rest of the specs unchanged ? Or would it cause issues with overheating/ spacing/ power draw  ?

Do you think Black Friday sales  will have an effect on the listed components ?

Thanks !
Koussy

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
Hi Ari,

Just found your website while looking for a guide to build a compact gaming desktop and its the exact thing I wanted ! I was originally inspired by the Corsair One  i160 but that's definitely out of my price range lol. Anyway, the UI for your site is very easy to navigate and your writing style is informative and concise. Thanks alot for the guide.

Would I be able to upgrade to a 2080 Super with the rest of the specs unchanged ? Or would it cause issues with overheating/ spacing/ power draw  ?

Do you think Black Friday sales  will have an effect on the listed components ?

Thanks !
Koussy

Welcome to the Forum, Koussy, and thanks for the positive feedback! You know, the Corsair One i160 (now replaced with the i164) is an absolutely amazing PC that you can't build on your own, but yes, it comes at a premium.

As for the SG13-based system, yes, you can definitely use the 2080 Super in this system, but you need to be careful about the model. Only one will fit: the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Black (or overclocked Super XC Gaming). Everything else will be too big.

It may run a bit hot, which will limit boost levels. Iit won't get damaged, it just won't run quite as fast as it would be in a much larger case.

trisz

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 09, 2019, 11:48:06 PM »
Hi Ari,

Just found your website while looking for a guide to build a mini-ITX system. My system will be build according to your gaming pc build guides with the following components (I ordered almost everything)

case                   Silverstone SG13
motherboard   Gigabyte GA-Z370N-WiFi
cooling, case   Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM
cooling, cpu   NOCTUA NH-L12S
ssd                   Crucial P1 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (CT1000P1SSD8)
psu, accessories   SilverStone RL-PP08B Bracket
psu                   EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GM, 80 Plus Gold 550W, SFX
ram                   CORSAIR 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz CL16 KIT CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
cpu                   Intel Core i5-9400F
vga                   EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC BLACK GAMING, 08G-P4-2171-KR

I read all specs of items, especially the vga. Will be fit this card for SG13? The length is exactly 10,6" in SG13 user guide limited the length in 10,5", but in your guide you mentioned 10,6" :)

Thanks your guide and thanks your reply.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2019, 07:20:00 AM »
Hi Ari,

Just found your website while looking for a guide to build a mini-ITX system. My system will be build according to your gaming pc build guides with the following components (I ordered almost everything)

ram                   CORSAIR 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz CL16 KIT CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I read all specs of items, especially the vga. Will be fit this card for SG13? The length is exactly 10,6" in SG13 user guide limited the length in 10,5", but in your guide you mentioned 10,6" :)

Thanks for stopping by,  trisz!

I actually get this question a lot, and in the past, I've sometimes included an explanation in the guide. To keep it simple, it will work. Silverstone used an older standard, 10.5", when writing its manual, but all reference cards in the past 5 years have been 10.6". And yes, they fit too. Given how many people are concerned about this based on wisely reviewing the manual, I'll ask Silverstone to update the online specs to bring them up to date. Can't promise they'll actually reprint the manual though!

trisz

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »
Hi Ari,

Thanks for stopping by,  trisz!

I actually get this question a lot, and in the past, I've sometimes included an explanation in the guide. To keep it simple, it will work. Silverstone used an older standard, 10.5", when writing its manual, but all reference cards in the past 5 years have been 10.6". And yes, they fit too. Given how many people are concerned about this based on wisely reviewing the manual, I'll ask Silverstone to update the online specs to bring them up to date. Can't promise they'll actually reprint the manual though!

Hi Ari,

thank you for your reply, so on tomorrow I will order the vga :)
I'm so curious about the power of this build, last time when I played with games was appr. 10 years ago.  ;D ;D