Author Topic: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)  (Read 32294 times)

beachedaz

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:19 PM »
Yay Finally completed ITX build today and have just been trialing it out and really happy so far. Specs are exactly as in guide only I used the Noctua NH-L12s for the CPU cooling and managed to slot in a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT. Also added a baracuda SATA 2.5" 4tb hdd just for basic cheap storage (of note this would not fit in nicely as the top metal press outs on the SG13 case for mouting a 140mm fan interfered with it sitting back nicely and i ended up drilling out and removing that metal). After a problematic start - no video out but all other lights/power working (pulled it all apart a few times guessing it might be a not well connected ram module even though visually and physically it appeared home) I gave up and soldered up a little motherboard speaker to ascertain the problem (the z930i MOB didn't come with one)... and sure enough on connecting the speaker and starting it up - the problem magically disappeared never to be seen again - all it wanted it appears is a voice :) "The second worst problem is to have a bug and not no why. The worst problem is to fix a bug and not know why." Ran out of the nice Noctua CPU thermal compound (there was enough for two installs) and used a standard substitute - feel like the Noctua one was better by a degree but hard to really tell all still working fine though. Would love to post some pictures but not sure how as I feel they might help others with gaps and spacing as I had way more room above the CPU cooler than I was lead to expect.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »
Yay Finally completed ITX build today and have just been trialing it out and really happy so far. Specs are exactly as in guide only I used the Noctua NH-L12s for the CPU cooling and managed to slot in a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT. Also added a baracuda SATA 2.5" 4tb hdd just for basic cheap storage (of note this would not fit in nicely as the top metal press outs on the SG13 case for mouting a 140mm fan interfered with it sitting back nicely and i ended up drilling out and removing that metal). After a problematic start - no video out but all other lights/power working (pulled it all apart a few times guessing it might be a not well connected ram module even though visually and physically it appeared home) I gave up and soldered up a little motherboard speaker to ascertain the problem (the z930i MOB didn't come with one)... and sure enough on connecting the speaker and starting it up - the problem magically disappeared never to be seen again - all it wanted it appears is a voice :) "The second worst problem is to have a bug and not no why. The worst problem is to fix a bug and not know why." Ran out of the nice Noctua CPU thermal compound (there was enough for two installs) and used a standard substitute - feel like the Noctua one was better by a degree but hard to really tell all still working fine though. Would love to post some pictures but not sure how as I feel they might help others with gaps and spacing as I had way more room above the CPU cooler than I was lead to expect.

Glad to hear that this worked out so well. Funny conclusion you have about the worst problem being fixing a bug and not knowing how you did it!

As for posting photos, you can do so, but you need to host them on a third-party image hosting service, like Imgur or imgbb.

Note that the Noctua NH-L12S may appear to have a lot of clearance under the PSU, but it wouldn't come close to fitting without the SFX PSU adapter listed in the guide. Also, the original assembly guide used a taller cooler, but the Noctua and other shorter models like it (the Scythe Big Shuriken and be quiet Shadow Rock LP) are really a better match overall.