Author Topic: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)  (Read 14778 times)

cooper

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Awsome - thanks Ari!  Looking forward to the space savings and the HUGE upgrade.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
Awsome - thanks Ari!  Looking forward to the space savings and the HUGE upgrade.

What system are you coming from?

cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2018, 02:17:51 PM »
Its a PC I built 5+ years ago... I don't even recall what video card I am running.  I think I have upgraded he video card twice and overclocked it back along time ago and it has been running without issue all this time. I only play WOT on it but would like to get back into FPS games...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
Its a PC I built 5+ years ago... I don't even recall what video card I am running.  I think I have upgraded he video card twice and overclocked it back along time ago and it has been running without issue all this time. I only play WOT on it but would like to get back into FPS games...

This build will definitely let you get back into FPS!

cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
Thanks - that's the plan.

Tigerman82

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »
Had to join the forum as I'm currently in search for a SFF PC (coming from iMacs) and that Ultra-Compact SG13 rig looks sweet. What's the noise level in these rigs like? I'm only asking because I will doing word processing/productivity 85-90% of the time and so need a distraction-free computer? I previously was thinking about going for those gaming NUCs as in Hades Canyon which would be more compact and the cooling custom-designed. A lot of people recommend these DIY mini-ITX builds but I always get the feeling that these people prioritise performance instead of low noise and as-small-as-possible size. As for gaming, I'm aiming at being able to play something like Witcher 3 at 1440p.

By the way, the successor of Hades Canyon was just announced and it seems this Ghost Canyon will be the size of these mini-ITX builds with a PCIe X16 slot for upgradable dGPU.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2018, 08:16:29 AM »
Had to join the forum as I'm currently in search for a SFF PC (coming from iMacs) and that Ultra-Compact SG13 rig looks sweet. What's the noise level in these rigs like? I'm only asking because I will doing word processing/productivity 85-90% of the time and so need a distraction-free computer? I previously was thinking about going for those gaming NUCs as in Hades Canyon which would be more compact and the cooling custom-designed. A lot of people recommend these DIY mini-ITX builds but I always get the feeling that these people prioritise performance instead of low noise and as-small-as-possible size. As for gaming, I'm aiming at being able to play something like Witcher 3 at 1440p.

By the way, the successor of Hades Canyon was just announced and it seems this Ghost Canyon will be the size of these mini-ITX builds with a PCIe X16 slot for upgradable dGPU.

To get this SG13-based system as quiet as possible, you'll want to make a few adjustments to the components. The guide is definitely focused on performance per dollar, but you can absolutely make it a silent system. Here are the tweaks you'd want to make:

(1) CPU Cooler: switch from the high-powered SilverStone NT06-Pro to the slightly small and much, much quieter Noctua NH-L12S.

(2) Front fan: switch from the Arctic F12 to the absolutely silent Scythe Kaze Flex PWM Fan. It's what I personally use in my SG13 build.

(3) PSU: switch from the SilverStone SX500-G to the Corsair SF600, which is a bit more power than you need for the build, but has a zero-fan mode that makes it silent at idle.

With those three changes, and sticking with the EVGA RTX 2070 already in the guide, your build will be absolutely inaudible under low loads.

By the way, I saw the news about Ghost Canyon, but it's very preliminary, as the PCs aren't expected to ship until the end of 2019. Furthermore, my guess is that the PCIe slot will be for single-slot or low-profile dual-slot cards, so the system won't be the size of the SG13, nor will it fit high-end video cards. It's more of a replacement for the Mini-STX form factor that Intel released a few years ago and has since abandoned.

Tigerman82

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »

To get this SG13-based system as quiet as possible, you'll want to make a few adjustments to the components. The guide is definitely focused on performance per dollar, but you can absolutely make it a silent system. Here are the tweaks you'd want to make:

(1) CPU Cooler: switch from the high-powered SilverStone NT06-Pro to the slightly small and much, much quieter Noctua NH-L12S.

(2) Front fan: switch from the Arctic F12 to the absolutely silent Scythe Kaze Flex PWM Fan. It's what I personally use in my SG13 build.

(3) PSU: switch from the SilverStone SX500-G to the Corsair SF600, which is a bit more power than you need for the build, but has a zero-fan mode that makes it silent at idle.

With those three changes, and sticking with the EVGA RTX 2070 already in the guide, your build will be absolutely inaudible under low loads.

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I'm not exactly a DIY kinda guy (probably the most demanding job I've done was to take apart an iMac to install an SSD) and my fear with these DIY builds is not only that they will be loud but that the components don't play well together (which is why I've gone with Macs and NUCs because I like that the manufacturer has not only chosen good components but also built the hardware around them instead of just throwing components inside a chassis) resulting in a clunky PC that's big on power and low on aesthetics and reliability. With your guides I feel like I'm ready to try out a DIY rig.

Tigerman82

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

Sorry for bothering you again but wanted to make sure... Added these parts to PCPartPicker which alerted incompatibilities. So the SilverStone bracket/adapter will make both the Noctua NH-L12S and Corsair SF600 compatible with the SilverStone SG13 chassis as PCPartPicker says they are not compatible with SG13. Moreover, PCPartPicker alerted that the EGVA RTX 2070 Black just exceeds the max allowed length of SG13. I assume the SG13 allows the extra 2.2mm length of the EGVA as you were able to use it.

At the risking of sounding like a total noob, is the installation process straightforward with all the cables and screws provided with the parts or do you think (especially with parts that may exceed default max measurements like the GPU) there will situations where you have to have know-how to be able make parts fit. Moreover, is thermal paste needed with these new builds? Or is really the only thing I need is the parts plus the proper screwdrivers for the job?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:36:25 AM by Tigerman82 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
The owner of PCPartPicker doesn't actually test, review, or build anything, certainly not SSF PCs. His algorithm is just based on specifications, and it often gets things wrong because it doesn't actually know how parts go together. There's no human, or any actual knowledge, behind what PCPP recommends. It's just an automated shopping site.

So to answer your question, everything will fit, and all cables and supplies are included, other than the screwdrivers. This build is a bit more difficult than a standard PC because there's not much room to work inside the case, so you'll have to pay attention to bundling cables out of the way, but otherwise, it's very straightforward.