Author Topic: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)  (Read 34720 times)

stpauljim

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Extreme Gaming Mini-ITX Build (SG13)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Are there any updates on the recommendations for this build?  The GPU (Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo) seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere. Has anyone found similarly compact 1080's that fit into this build?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:14 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, stpauljim!

It's not just the Asus GTX 1080 Turbo that's out of stock - it's just about every single GTX 1080 on the market. This is a result of the latest cryptocurrency mining craze.

There are only a handful of GTX 1080 models that will fit -  the Turbo, the Nvidia Founders Edition, and several EVGA models. While you can get the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 for $570 right now, it's not the best match for this build, as it exhausts directly into the CPU cooler. I'd instead recommend the EVGA GTX 1080 blower edition. It's guaranteed to fit, and will exhaust out the back of the case. This is a VERY small PC, so exhausting into the middle of the case just isn't a great setup.

If you're hoping to pay $500 or less for a video card, you'll need to wait until at least the end of the month, when supplies will hopefully replenish and Ethereum mining will have imploded.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:42:47 PM by Ari Altman »

yohanology

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »
Hello! I'm new here, found it as the first result for "mini itx vr build"  :)

As you guessed, I'm interested a mini itx build just for VR. I will connect a small touchscreen to avoid keyboard and mouse. It needs to be powerful and mobile (laptops still too expensive though). That's why I'm hesitating between the SG13 and the Core500 build. In terms of performance, the Core500 build is what I'm looking for, but for mobility the SG13 seems perfect.

So what would be the ideal build for the SG13 with a 2000$ budget? Is it possible to fit a 1080ti in it? I was thinking of the Zotac 1080ti Mini https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-mini#spec

PS: thanks for all the articles Ari! Best resources so far!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Hello! I'm new here, found it as the first result for "mini itx vr build"  :)

As you guessed, I'm interested a mini itx build just for VR. I will connect a small touchscreen to avoid keyboard and mouse. It needs to be powerful and mobile (laptops still too expensive though). That's why I'm hesitating between the SG13 and the Core500 build. In terms of performance, the Core500 build is what I'm looking for, but for mobility the SG13 seems perfect.

So what would be the ideal build for the SG13 with a 2000$ budget? Is it possible to fit a 1080ti in it? I was thinking of the Zotac 1080ti Mini https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-mini#spec

PS: thanks for all the articles Ari! Best resources so far!

Hello, yohanology, and welcome to the TBG forum!

If you're want true portability, go for the SG13. The Fractal Core 500 is a wonderful case, but it just doesn't feel portable to me. Yes, you can carry it around, but slipping it into a bag isn't what it's designed for.

In terms of running a higher-powered system in the SG13, yes, you can absolutely do that. If you've seen the SG13 assembly guide, you know that I run a Titan X in this system. Note that this is an externally-exhausting card. The Zotac 1080 Ti Mini is an interesting concept, but I wouldn't trust it to cool a 1080 Ti GPU. These things run very hot! And furthermore, with the SG13, you really do want the hot air going outside of the case. There's just nowhere for it to exit if it is dumped inside the case. You can get away with that if using a GTX 1070 (which is sold out worldwide due to Ethereum mining), but a 1080 Ti/Titan class GPU is a very different beast. These generate a tremendous amount of heat, and the SG13 case can't deal with that, especially when the CPU cooler is trying to blow heat up and out of the case as well.

So, in short, if you want to go use a GTX 1080 Ti in the SG13 case, just get a Founders Edition. Hope that helps!

yohanology

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 06:20:03 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I can't order on Amazon because of my current location, so here is the final build I could have with my supplier, with some components different from your original build (**):

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K (4.2 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC
** Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11 GB
** SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 To
** RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR4-3200
Case: SilverStone Sugo SG13
CPU Cooler: SilverStone NT06-Pro
** CPU Fan Low-Noise Adapter: Noctua NA-SRC10
Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1
Case Fan: Arctic F12 PWM 120mm
** Power Supply: SilverStone SFX-L SX500-LG
** Power Supply Bracket: SilverStone PP08 SFX to ATX

Do you see anything that can cause trouble or can improve? If it's fine then I'll order now :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:22:13 AM by yohanology »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 07:11:05 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I can't order on Amazon because of my current location, so here is the final build I could have with my supplier, with some components different from your original build (**):

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K (4.2 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC
** Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11 GB
** SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 To
** RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR4-3200
Case: SilverStone Sugo SG13
CPU Cooler: SilverStone NT06-Pro
** CPU Fan Low-Noise Adapter: Noctua NA-SRC10
Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1
Case Fan: Arctic F12 PWM 120mm
** Power Supply: SilverStone SFX-L SX500-LG
** Power Supply Bracket: SilverStone PP08 SFX to ATX

Do you see anything that can cause trouble or can improve? If it's fine then I'll order now :)

Looks very good. The only thing I'd recommend is that you check the price of the Samsung 960 Evo 1TB. In the U.S. it's only around $100 more than the 850 Evo 1TB, and is much faster.

ivanmkc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
Hi everyone,
I haven't built a pc in a long time but looking for a portable VR rig. Appreciate all the help from the experts!

I'm planning to build with pretty much the recommended components except have heard recommendations (saying they're easier to install) to use either of these CPU cooler + fans instead:
1. Noctua L-Type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler_ Retail Cooling NH-L9x65: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Premium-Cooler-Cooling-NH-L9x65/dp/B00VB3Y89E/

OR

2. Noctua NH-L12 Low-profile Quiet CPU Cooler with 120/90mm Dual PWM Fan: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-L12-Low-profile-Quiet-Cooler/dp/B007C861WO

Will these work fine and what would you recommend?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:08:03 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
Hi everyone,
I haven't built a pc in a long time but looking for a portable VR rig. Appreciate all the help from the experts!

I'm planning to build with pretty much the recommended components except have heard recommendations (saying they're easier to install) to use either of these CPU cooler + fans instead:
1. Noctua L-Type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler_ Retail Cooling NH-L9x65: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Premium-Cooler-Cooling-NH-L9x65/dp/B00VB3Y89E/

OR

2. Noctua NH-L12 Low-profile Quiet CPU Cooler with 120/90mm Dual PWM Fan: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-L12-Low-profile-Quiet-Cooler/dp/B007C861WO

Will these work fine and what would you recommend?
Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, ivanmkc!

Both of those Noctua coolers were reviewed alongside the SilverStone NT06-Pro in TBG's Low-Profile Cooler Shootout. The short answer is that yes, they are both easier to install (especially the NH-L9x65), but no, you shouldn't use them. In fact, you can't use the NH-L12, because it's too big, and while the NH-L9x65 will fit, you are trading off a lot of cooling power and saving very little money going for that cooler. It's a nice HTPC cooler, but for serious gaming, it's not what I'd recommend unless it's all that will fit. If you decide to go ahead with the NH-L9x65, I wouldn't recommend running a Core i7-7700K at anything above stock settings with that cooler.

ivanmkc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go with your recommendation then!

I'll wait around a few weeks to see if the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING Blower edition you recommended earlier in the thread has stock, as it seems to be all gone now. If you have another similar 1080 that is in stock that you'd recommend, let me know.

Ivan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:07:46 PM by ivanmkc »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go with your recommendation then!

I'll wait around a few weeks to see if the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING Blower edition you recommended earlier in the thread has stock, as it seems to be all gone now. If you have another similar 1080 that is in stock that you'd recommend, let me know.

Ivan

Ivan,

The availability of GTX 1080 cards is definitely still not that great, which is pretty amusing considering that they've been bought up by cryptocurrency miners despite the 1080 being a very inefficient mining card (I know, I've tested it!).

The good news is that you can currently get the Asus GTX 1080 Turbo blower model from Newegg for $550. It's just as good as the EVGA blower version, which may never show up in stock again!

While I know some gamers are tempted to go with an open-air card in this build, it really will fill the case with hot air, and having the GPU and CPU exhaust right into each other just isn't a good option.

smithrb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
Ari,

I've just finished this build with some variations to suit my preferences:

- Samsumg EVO 960 1TB in the M.2 slot
- Additional 2.5" Samsumg 1TB SSD on sata 3
- Corsair 32G DDR4

Otherwise, the components are as specified in the August build.

The system powered-up fine when I completed the build; all fans spinning (to include the EVGA fans), MB lights, etc.

After about 2 minutes, the system went dark and now will not power up.

So far, I've been pulling items off the power supply (EVGA card, SSDs) to attempt to identify what the problem might be.

In the meantime, I've re-ordered a replacement MB and Power Supply thinking they must be the "likely" failure candidates.

I suspect the power supply at this point, but won't know until I swap it out this evening.

With the little info I've supplied, any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »
Ari,

I've just finished this build with some variations to suit my preferences:

- Samsumg EVO 960 1TB in the M.2 slot
- Additional 2.5" Samsumg 1TB SSD on sata 3
- Corsair 32G DDR4

Otherwise, the components are as specified in the August build.

The system powered-up fine when I completed the build; all fans spinning (to include the EVGA fans), MB lights, etc.

After about 2 minutes, the system went dark and now will not power up.

So far, I've been pulling items off the power supply (EVGA card, SSDs) to attempt to identify what the problem might be.

In the meantime, I've re-ordered a replacement MB and Power Supply thinking they must be the "likely" failure candidates.

I suspect the power supply at this point, but won't know until I swap it out this evening.

With the little info I've supplied, any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Welcome, to the TBG Forum,smithrb! Very sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your new PC. It sounds like you're using some very high-end upgrades with the two 1TB SSDs and 32GB of RAM!

Can you specify exactly what the PC was doing when it failed? Were you only in the BIOS, already installing the OS, or actually using the system in Windows? Did you actually have it connected to a monitor, or were you just looking at the fans/lights to determine that it was running?

By the way, you may want to cancel your orders of the motherboard and power supply until we do some troubleshooting. While those are the likely hardware failure candidates, it's actually much more likely something else has caused the issue that will just take a quick fix to get running.

smithrb

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, I bumped the specs a bit since I intend to use for sw development too...

A total of about 2 minutes or so was all I had before it went dark.  Basically, I powered it up for the 1st time and was just looking (and smelling) things over.  All fans spinning, various LEDs on MB were on.  The LEDs along the leading edge of the MB were on.  Not much to say about the SSDs since they don't wiggle much.  Fans on the 1070 were spinning as well as the LED being lit on top.  Both SSDs are still clean (no prior installs), so I only briefly saw the BIOS screen as I never got to the point where I would begin OS install.  I powered down to re-position the machine to another area on my desk with a little more room, and it would not power up again afterwards.  Weirdness... Not a lot of hints...

Given the slow nature of replacements, I decided to gamble and order those two items.  Can always send them right back unopened if not needed (Amazon 30 day).  I didn't want to get jammed into another weekend bind and have to wait any longer than I had to.  Power supply comes in this afternoon, I figure it might be a good 1st try.  Any ideas on "quick fix" possibilities?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, I bumped the specs a bit since I intend to use for sw development too...

A total of about 2 minutes or so was all I had before it went dark.  Basically, I powered it up for the 1st time and was just looking (and smelling) things over.  All fans spinning, various LEDs on MB were on.  The LEDs along the leading edge of the MB were on.  Not much to say about the SSDs since they don't wiggle much.  Fans on the 1070 were spinning as well as the LED being lit on top.  Both SSDs are still clean (no prior installs), so I only briefly saw the BIOS screen as I never got to the point where I would begin OS install.  I powered down to re-position the machine to another area on my desk with a little more room, and it would not power up again afterwards.  Weirdness... Not a lot of hints...

Given the slow nature of replacements, I decided to gamble and order those two items.  Can always send them right back unopened if not needed (Amazon 30 day).  I didn't want to get jammed into another weekend bind and have to wait any longer than I had to.  Power supply comes in this afternoon, I figure it might be a good 1st try.  Any ideas on "quick fix" possibilities?

So it sounds like you powered it up successfully, had an image on screen, and then shut it down to move the system. There are a number of clues here. First, the system successfully booted and outputted video, which means you don't have a CPU or video card problem. Then you moved it and it didn't turn on. This immediately suggests that it's a power issue, unless by "not power up" you mean you get lights and fans but no image on screen. Assuming that you really mean it's entirely dead, then you need to take a close look at all power cables attached to both the power supply and the motherboard to make sure they are still firmly attached. Any other component issue, like a bad stick of RAM, a damaged CPU, or a damaged video card, would at least allow the system to power up and then automatically shut down. No power means just that: there is no power to the system. This either means the PSU went dead suddenly, which is possible but highly unlikely, or you have a cable issue.

smithrb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
Good feedback.

By not powered up, I mean nothing, nada, utterly dark as if not plugged in. No light, no fans, nothing.

I've removed and replaced (took off and put back on) all cables, ram, etc.  No change.

I vaguely recall that power supplies are somehow interlocked to the motherboard - meaning unless they sense they're connected the PS won't supply any power?  Not sure about this.

Will a power supply power up outside the chassis and disconnected from everything except the wall plug?

If so, can it's outputs be measured with a multi-meter or scope - I have both.

Thanks, Brad...