Author Topic: Request for CPU advice on the upcoming mini-STX build  (Read 575 times)

locurran

• View Profile
Request for CPU advice on the upcoming mini-STX build
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:57:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to the upcoming TBG Silverstone VT02/mini-STX build. I'd like to nail down the right CPU for my needs - running Win 10 in a virtual environment on Linux. There will be some 2D GIS and simple 3D CAD. Mostly, of course, I'm in native Linux mode. I like the price/performance of the Intel G4560, but should I be looking at one of the Kaby Lake i5s instead? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:59:36 AM by locurran »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Request for CPU advice on the upcoming mini-STX build
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »
I actually just checked in with SilverStone yesterday about when they'd be able to provide me a VT02 for review. The cases are just coming off the assembly line in China, and will arrive in the US in mid-April. I should have a review up by mid/late-April, and I'd anticipate retail availability by the end of April.

As for the right CPU for your needs, I'd look at something a bit more powerful than the G4560, if for no other reason that the G4560 isn't actually available (it's sold out nationwide, and grey-market sellers are trying to make a quick buck off of remaining units). The Pentium G4600 offers much better graphics performance, which may help with CAD, and it's actually available at a decent price.

I can't say for sure whether your applications are multi-threaded. You may want to look into that, as if they are, a Core i5 can help, but if they are not, a Pentium will perform just like a Core i5 for you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:06:39 PM by Ari Altman »

locurran

• View Profile
Re: Request for CPU advice on the upcoming mini-STX build
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »
That's great info, thanks!