Author Topic: The TBG Ultra-Extreme ITX PC Buyer's Guide  (Read 13484 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultra-Extreme ITX PC Buyer's Guide
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »
bensrichards - as a regular contributor here, you should sign up for the big TBG Forum prize drawing we're holding right now!

Rhizome

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
Iím smitten with the Core 500 case. Before buying, I wanted to double check that I can put a full size (3 fan; 268 mm; 2070) video card in it. I plan on using the Seasonic PSU listed on the build page. Fractal Design says that the case supports up to 310 mm video cards, but I wanted to dbl-check with folks here. Thanks in advance.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
Iím smitten with the Core 500 case. Before buying, I wanted to double check that I can put a full size (3 fan; 268 mm; 2070) video card in it. I plan on using the Seasonic PSU listed on the build page. Fractal Design says that the case supports up to 310 mm video cards, but I wanted to dbl-check with folks here. Thanks in advance.

Hey there, Rhizome, and welcome to the TBG Forum!

It's actually been a while since TBG has recommended the Core 500 Case, as it's a bit older at this point, and today's PC components might be better suited by a different layout. A few things I would point out in regard to your question:

(1) If you're using a triple-fan RTX 2070, it won't be 268mm long. That's reference length (10.5"), and every triple-fan model is at least 12" long. An example would be the MSI RTX 2070 8GB Duke, which is 314mm long (12.36"), and would actually be impossible to install.

(2) While a 12" card can "technically" fit, it's not something I'd recommend. The issue is two-fold: first, it leaves essentially no room for cables, and second, modern video cards have backplates that the Core 500 wasn't really designed for, meaning the card will push against the optical drive bay, which of course isn't used by that many people anymore.

For the two reasons above, I'd suggest you at least have a look at some of the other ITX systems currently in TBG's DIY Guides. The closest in form factor is the $1,500 build, but it's actually much, much smaller, which is nice. The build that replaced the Core 500 build is the $2,000 system, using a slim SilverStone Raven case.

As an aside, the RTX 2070 is being replaced by the RTX 2070 Super, but at this point, availability is very poor, so neither gets a full TBG recommendation at the present moment (only buy the original RTX 2070 if it's well below $500, or wait for the RTX 2070 Super models that will fit in small systems).

Rhizome

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »
Thank you Ari. Super helpful reply. I will investigate other cases.
Yes, my local retailer has the 2070 on discount at the moment for $400 ($US).