Author Topic: The TBG Ultra-Extreme ITX PC Buyer's Guide  (Read 3751 times)

Bp4242

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultra-Extreme ITX PC Buyer's Guide
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
Thank you Ari. You are the man! I will be recommending you to everyone as I hopefully get more involved in this hobby! When I save up the money and build it I will post the build!
Best,
Brett.

rbroders

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
Hey guys, just finished putting together this build.  The only modification I made was to use a different CPU cooler.

The Noctua NH-L12S is only 70mm tall (your recommended Silverstone NT06-PRO-V2 is 83mm tall)

With the smaller cooler, I was able to install a 15mm chassis fan in the case door which blows directly onto the CPU cooler (which I turned to blow down onto the CPU).  You end up with a fan radiator fan sandwhich which does a great job of cooling.  I used the Noctua NF-A12-15 PWM (which is the same as the fan in the CPU cooler).

The fit is perfect with about 1mm between the chassis fan and the top of the CPU cooler.  I configured the BIOS to control both fans in PWM mode based on CPU temperature.

I was able to overclock the i7-8700K to 4.5Ghz (for all 6 cores) with the uCore at 4.3Ghz and 4.2Ghz during AVX instructions with AUTO vcore and all power saving modes enabled.  At full load the CPU uses 110W and the hottest core is ~94C.  The 1800rpm fans are a little noisy at full power, but its is amazingly fast for such a small build.

I might try delidding next for even better temps!  If I had known before I might have purchased a pre-delidded CPU, but now I can't have the computer off-line for a week to ship it, so I guess I'll try it myself...

--Bob

P.S.  No video card yet as I'm waiting for GTX 1180

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
Hey guys, just finished putting together this build.  The only modification I made was to use a different CPU cooler.

The Noctua NH-L12S is only 70mm tall (your recommended Silverstone NT06-PRO-V2 is 83mm tall)

With the smaller cooler, I was able to install a 15mm chassis fan in the case door which blows directly onto the CPU cooler (which I turned to blow down onto the CPU).  You end up with a fan radiator fan sandwhich which does a great job of cooling.  I used the Noctua NF-A12-15 PWM (which is the same as the fan in the CPU cooler).

The fit is perfect with about 1mm between the chassis fan and the top of the CPU cooler.  I configured the BIOS to control both fans in PWM mode based on CPU temperature.

I was able to overclock the i7-8700K to 4.5Ghz (for all 6 cores) with the uCore at 4.3Ghz and 4.2Ghz during AVX instructions with AUTO vcore and all power saving modes enabled.  At full load the CPU uses 110W and the hottest core is ~94C.  The 1800rpm fans are a little noisy at full power, but its is amazingly fast for such a small build.

I might try delidding next for even better temps!  If I had known before I might have purchased a pre-delidded CPU, but now I can't have the computer off-line for a week to ship it, so I guess I'll try it myself...

--Bob

P.S.  No video card yet as I'm waiting for GTX 1180

Sounds like an awesome build, rbroders!

Just out of curiosity, isn't the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM the same thickness as the stock SilverStone 120mm fans that come with the FTZ01-E chassis? The Noctua fans are actually better, and having them sync'd in a push-pull arrangement is very cool, but just wondering if you tried using the fan that was pre-installed in the case.

By the way, to crank up that overclock, you might try lowering the unCore and setting a bigger AVX offset (you really don't want it running much above 4GHz in my opinion for AVX). What are you using for a stress test to hit 94C? I hope that's not a gaming load.

And yes, the GTX 1180 is coming, likely announced at the end of August for mid-September release, but if history is any guide, it will sell out immediately at well beyond MSRP, and won't be available in quantity until November. Things could always be different, but I wouldn't bank on it!

rbroders

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
I did use the stock 15mm Silverstone case fan (I was not expecting it to fit actually, and had purchased a 12mm fan to do the job).  It worked ok.  If memory serves, it kept the CPU below 95C at around 95W.  As I wanted to overclock a bit, I looked for a more powerful fan.  At 1800 rpm, the noctua works somewhat better (louder though).  My understanding is that some fans are designed for high airflow and some are designed for high pressure.  Not sure if my setup is ideal in that regard, but it seems to work pretty well.

I used Prime95 for my load, so its probably worse than any game.  At 4.2GHz for AVX loads the CPU uses 110W and also reaches about 94C (with 12 threads running).  I think I can get higher than 4.5GHz, but I have to force the voltage up and that makes the power and temps go way up.  I did tweak the speeds for when fewer cores are running, but it took a lot of load testing to make sure everything was stable.  51/50/48/45/45/45.

Fun, fun, fun!  --Bob

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
I did use the stock 15mm Silverstone case fan (I was not expecting it to fit actually, and had purchased a 12mm fan to do the job).  It worked ok.  If memory serves, it kept the CPU below 95C at around 95W.  As I wanted to overclock a bit, I looked for a more powerful fan.  At 1800 rpm, the noctua works somewhat better (louder though).  My understanding is that some fans are designed for high airflow and some are designed for high pressure.  Not sure if my setup is ideal in that regard, but it seems to work pretty well.

I used Prime95 for my load, so its probably worse than any game.  At 4.2GHz for AVX loads the CPU uses 110W and also reaches about 94C (with 12 threads running).  I think I can get higher than 4.5GHz, but I have to force the voltage up and that makes the power and temps go way up.  I did tweak the speeds for when fewer cores are running, but it took a lot of load testing to make sure everything was stable.  51/50/48/45/45/45.

Fun, fun, fun!  --Bob

Sounds like you've been doing some solid tuning. Did you try the fans with air blowing out of the case rather than in? While the Noctua cooler typically will run better blowing up, if you have an external vent right next to it, your approach is probably better.