Author Topic: The TBG Ultra-Extreme ITX PC Buyer's Guide  (Read 2378 times)

bensrichards

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultra-Extreme ITX PC Buyer's Guide
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 06:22:03 AM »
Love the new ultra-extreme build that just went live on the site.  That FTZ01 case is just so classy.  I've got the older version in-hand now and am so happy with it.  It's got a great substantial and sturdy feel that was missing from so many other cases I looked at.

I know you've looked at a lot of Silverstone products over the years.  Any chance you can convince them to make a Fortress variant of the SG-13 ITX case? :)  That's another case where I'd love to see the basic layout and form factor in a premium material version.

Where would you put the two case fans in this build?  Both underneath the gpu?  There will be no room above the cpu cooler, correct?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
Love the new ultra-extreme build that just went live on the site.  That FTZ01 case is just so classy.  I've got the older version in-hand now and am so happy with it.  It's got a great substantial and sturdy feel that was missing from so many other cases I looked at.

I know you've looked at a lot of Silverstone products over the years.  Any chance you can convince them to make a Fortress variant of the SG-13 ITX case? :)  That's another case where I'd love to see the basic layout and form factor in a premium material version.

Where would you put the two case fans in this build?  Both underneath the gpu?  There will be no room above the cpu cooler, correct?

Glad you liked the updated $2,500 Ultra-Extreme ITX Guide. While in the past this guide has featured a big ultra-high-performance ITX build, I've decided to transition it to an extra-premium ITX build, which isn't the same as ultra-high-performance. It's all about sleek looks and the smallest profile that can fit the best components. Cooler size gets second priority here, but that's fine for builders who want an ultra-compact, high-performance system.

I think you're on to something in suggesting the SG13 in premium "Fortress" materials. The SG13 is SilverStone's top-selling ITX case, but premium it is not (it's light, made partly of plastic, and very flexible). Back at CES 2017, I covered the prototype SilverStone SG14, which is shown below:

You can read more about it in the original news article, but don't get too excited - SilverStone has since cancelled the SG14!!! Perhaps you'd like to start a petition to get it reinstated?!?  ;)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:47 PM »

As for the case fans in your FTZ01, I'd install them in the GPU compartment as intakes. They will not fit above the CPU cooler.

jd.burns31@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »
Hello TBG!

I am new to building PC's yet a SFF one, and i was wondering if there was a guide on how to build this model. I purchased all the recommended items (except the monitor), but i cant figure out how some of the parts are supposed to fit, or how they connect to each other.

As i was trying to build this using youtube and reading the instructions on everything, i ran into a problem, where my cooling unit on the mother board is hitting the sleeve on the power supple. My thoughts is i might have assembled the cooling unit on the motherboard wrong.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:31 PM »
Hello TBG!

I am new to building PC's yet a SFF one, and i was wondering if there was a guide on how to build this model. I purchased all the recommended items (except the monitor), but i cant figure out how some of the parts are supposed to fit, or how they connect to each other.

As i was trying to build this using youtube and reading the instructions on everything, i ran into a problem, where my cooling unit on the mother board is hitting the sleeve on the power supple. My thoughts is i might have assembled the cooling unit on the motherboard wrong.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum, JD!

This is definitely a challenging PC to build. That comes with the territory when you're trying to put this much power into a compact chassis.

The NT06-Pro CPU cooler should be able to fit in this case though. This is how it should look once installed:

If the tips on the right side are hitting the power supply mount inside your case, you can actually bend the cooler slightly so that it moves to the left.

jd.burns31@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
Thank you!

That helped out so much and made me feel a lot better.

The next question i have is, where do all the cables actually connect? I have looked at the back of the power supply and on the motherboard, and i just don't understand which cables are needed and where they connect.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »
Thank you!

That helped out so much and made me feel a lot better.

The next question i have is, where do all the cables actually connect? I have looked at the back of the power supply and on the motherboard, and i just don't understand which cables are needed and where they connect.

Read this page of the TBG High-End PC Builder's Guide. It tells you all about the power supply cables.