Author Topic: Edited: question of noctua space interference. Ready to upgrade. Thanks!  (Read 1997 times)

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Good day!

First a shout out to Ari.  Your advice is spot on.  Ready to upgrade my pc and the only thing concerning me is the interaction between the 2 noctua coolers I've been looking at and interference within the case.

Current PC Spec: (changes/upgrades in bold)
Intel Core i7 i7-3930K 3.20 GHz Processor - Socket R LGA-2011 - Hexa-core
Patriot Memory Viper Xtreme 16GB DDR3 SDRAM (4 sticks of 4gb) 1600 MHz DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 - Non-ECC - Unbuffered - 240-pin DIMM
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (Noctua NH-D15 or Noctua NH-D15S if it's easier to work with)
Asus P9X79 PRO Desktop Motherboard - Intel X79 Express Chipset - Socket R LGA-2011
Corsair Obsidian 550D System Cabinet - Mini-tower (Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition Full Tower Case)
Seasonic Power Supply X850 Active PFC 100-240V ATX +12V GOLD Modular 850W 80PLU
Asus Video Card GTX680-2GD5 GTX680 2GB 2048MB DDR5 256Bit (GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1)

My spec is older and the socket is LGA 2001.  I am pretty sure both coolers would be suitable, but I am leaning toward the DH 15S as it is smaller.

regards,
Nikola
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:52:39 PM by NikolaZdravkovic »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to decide on a new case (and cooler) need some advice. Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Hello Nikola, and welcome to The TBG Forum!

In terms of cases, the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 really isn't much bigger than your 550D, so I wouldn't bother with that upgrade. Instead go with the Corsair 750D Airflow (do not buy the standard 750D).

As for coolers, you have an older hex-core processor based on the 2011 Sandy Bridge design. It was actually pretty efficient and cool-running, but being a six-core processor built on a 32nm architecture, it still generates a lot of heat, and the Hyper 212 Evo really isn't a good cooler in general, and certainly isn't a good cooler for this processor.

I'd say the minimum air cooler for this system would be the Noctua NH-U14S, which I have successfully used on hot-running six-core processors. With no overclocking, it is more than sufficient. If you wanted to try overclocking your processor, I'd look at the Noctua NH-D15, the best air cooler on the market. I do not think you need to use a liquid cooler, but if you really wanted one, the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 would be more cooling than you'll ever need.

Coolers don't really need maintenance, but liquid coolers can fail (for example, the pump stops), whereas the worst thing that can happen to an air cooler is that the fan is damaged and stops spinning. This is something you can easily see, however, and even with no fan, the Noctua heatsinks will still protect the CPUs from damage.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »
I would like to thank you for your in depth response.  I have had that hyper 212 evo for almost 5 years and I idle at high temps, better late than never to learn :).  With the upgrades I want and the 1070 or 1080 gpu, I should have this computer running for a few years yet.  Is the Corsair 750D the king for cases for maximum airflow?  As long as I can get the new gpu and the massive noctua fan installed i'll be happy.  Haven't built in a long time.  Do you see any other problems with this build?  Appreciate your response.

Many thanks!
Nikola

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
I would like to thank you for your in depth response.  I have had that hyper 212 evo for almost 5 years and I idle at high temps, better late than never to learn :).  With the upgrades I want and the 1070 or 1080 gpu, I should have this computer running for a few years yet.  Is the Corsair 750D the king for cases for maximum airflow?  As long as I can get the new gpu and the massive noctua fan installed i'll be happy.  Haven't built in a long time.  Do you see any other problems with this build?  Appreciate your response.

Many thanks!
Nikola

The Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow is the best of the big cases when it comes to airflow. It is the ideal case for use with an air-based CPU cooler. I do want to note, though, that all the components you are considering will fit easily in a smaller case, so if you thought the 550D was too small because it had limited airflow, there are many other options to consider. The 550D is considered a quiet case, and while it's nice for mainstream computing, it's not a good gaming case. To run a GTX 1080, your CPU, and a Noctua air cooler, there are many other cases that would work well, including the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 and MasterCase Maker 5, and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass. The only thing these cases lack versus a 750D is hard drive space and room for extreme liquid coolers, but these won't limit your particular system.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:47:50 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply.  Much appreciated.

Regards,
Nikola