Author Topic: First time builder and chose $500 home office build  (Read 1472 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First time builder and chose $500 home office build
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »
B250M Pro-VDH
Intel G4560
WD Blue 1TB SATA 6
LG Electronics Internal Super Multi Drive Optical Drive
Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 SSD
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
Zalman ATX Mini Tower PC Case T4
Windows 10 cd

Thank you for your help on this -your patience is greatly admired and appreciated.

I unplugged the sata cable to the HDD. I then installed windows 10 ,,I believe ,,this time on the SSD.
It still didn't ask me for time zone or whether It is 32 bit or 64 bit. Maybe I'm good on that?

I do want to have a window pop up and a small sound when a disc or thumb drive is inseted. Right now when you insert one of the two short little message on the bottom right of the screen will pop up for a few seconds and then disappear and then you're left wondering what the hell happened and then you have to manually go over to control panel and open up the file( sometimes not knowing which folder it's in and can be confusing.) eSpecially if it's a disk where you're downloading and you want it to run/execute.

Now should I hook the cable back up to the HDD and what drive will I be using to save files to places such as my documents my pictures etc?

For quickest/safest  boot up ,what typical boot drive priority should be used?

OK, great, it sounds like this approach worked. Sorry about the trouble - I've never encountered the issue where the SSD didn't show up as an option in the installer.

To get the hard drive to be recognized, you'll want to shut off your system and reattach the cables. If you've already figured out how to select the boot priority in the MSI UEFI, you'll want the Windows Boot Loader on the SSD as the first priority. Then you'll want to boot it up, after which you'll want to make sure it is running off the SSD. Once you're in Windows, see which disk is listed as the Windows C: drive. You'll know if its the SSD or the hard drive by the listed capacity (the hard drive is 931GB as you noted before).

Remember, there is also a copy of Windows on the hard drive, which you'll want to remove by formatting that disk. If the hard drive appears in the File Explorer on the Windows desktop, you can simply right click on the hard drive and format it. If it doesn't appear, I can tell you another way to access it.

To select where your documents, music, and apps are saved, you entered the Windows Settings, Click "System", and then click "Storage". This is where you can select your C: drive or your secondary drive (likely called D: or E:).

Ballslammer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
Alright Ari,!  :)
 I did as you suggested and everything looks to be working.

I don't think I'm going to worry about the RAM locations.

oh, I was wondering if I could format(erase) a couple of my OLD hardrives out of a few old computers laying around. can i just hook them up to this computer.
and just right click and then format?:
 (2) Western Digital 1.0TB sata/64MBcache  WD10EARX
 (1) western Digital 3.0TB sata/64MBcache   WD30EFRX

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »
Alright Ari,!  :)
 I did as you suggested and everything looks to be working.

I don't think I'm going to worry about the RAM locations.

oh, I was wondering if I could format(erase) a couple of my OLD hardrives out of a few old computers laying around. can i just hook them up to this computer.
and just right click and then format?:
 (2) Western Digital 1.0TB sata/64MBcache  WD10EARX
 (1) western Digital 3.0TB sata/64MBcache   WD30EFRX

Great to hear you're up and running. I agree that for now leaving the RAM as is probably makes sense.

If those Western Digital drives you have are currently is use (i.e., formatted with data on them), that means they'll be recognized easily by the new PC. All you'll need to do is hook up a SATA power cable from the power supply and a SATA data cable from the motherboard. Note that you've probably already used the two SATA cables that came in your motherboard box, but if you're not going to use the cables in the old system, you can just reuse them in the new PC.

Ballslammer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
hey Ari,
Just wanted to say thanks again.
I really enjoyed building this computer and will definitely recommend it to all my friends.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
hey Ari,
Just wanted to say thanks again.
I really enjoyed building this computer and will definitely recommend it to all my friends.

Great to hear you enjoyed the experience of building your own $500 PC. Feel free to send your friends to this forum if they have questions of their own!