Author Topic: PC's at the shop and I was wondering...  (Read 959 times)

GTing

• View Profile
PC's at the shop and I was wondering...
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »
I admit to being a bit of a paranoid person, but I was worried that the guys assembling my PC at the workshop might stick something in it like an RAT or keylogger or something. They're keeping it till tomorrow morning to fully check that everything is functional and will be logging into the windows 10 itself. Is there anything I can do to make sure it's clean and clear when I receive it? Like a fresh re-install of windows 10 or some feature within windows 10 that would reformat itself but stay fully functional?

They said they'll be logging in as user and skipping all those start-up steps and such. I might just be paranoid, but....any advice on how to stay safe?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PC's at the shop and I was wondering...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »
This is pretty easy to take care of. Just go into Windows 10 Settings, select "Update & Security", and then select the option to "Reset this PC." That will actually reinstall Windows from scratch, and if you want a completely clean system, you'll allow it to remove all applications and files. That does mean, however, that anything like Microsoft Office or other applications you might have paid for will be removed as well. You'll just get Windows 10 and nothing else. You'll need to reinstall some motherboard drivers as well as drivers for any add-in cards or external accessories you had them set up for you.

GTing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »
Thanks, is re-installing drivers easy? (I'm just a user, not really tech-savvy. EDIT: Well maybe not completely clueless, if it's something with simple instructions I ought to be able to follow them)

Also, if I ask them to have the PC reset when I pick it up, could they still have something squirreled away or is it better if I just reset windows 10 myself (this kind of goes back to the first point and if it's easy to re-install drivers myself)? I'm kind of worried about whether I'll need to have any special knowledge to make dual graphics cards work together and such.

As for applications, I never got anything additional, I'm planning on getting open office and possibly AVG (though AVG has been driving me crazy recently to get the retail version of it).

Also they managed to install both noctua fans onto the motherboard, not sure how and not sure if that's something that's supposed to be possible but awesome nonetheless.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:27:38 PM by GTing »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »
I think you'll be able to get the drivers installed. And for general maintenance on a high-end system, it's good practice anyway! So just do a clean install yourself when you get it home.

Good they got both Noctua fans installed, that is ideal.

GTing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks, will do (also, turns out I'm REALLY not tech-savvy. They didn't install both Noctua fans, I saw two fans and two heatsinks and thought they were both of them but they were just the one. I'm keeping the other as backup although I might give it to my brother if he wants it as he's also building his own rig).

By the way the rig is a beaut, thanks again for all your advice. All that's left now is finding an adapter for my power supply cable so I can plug it into my UPS like I did my old rig.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
Happy it worked out for you!

GTing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
Windows 10 has been stuck on reset  at 11% for a while now, I'll check it again in a few hours to make sure it's still going, but any tips in case it doesn't work? (Also, can I switch off my PC safely to get past it if it turns out to be stuck?)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
That's a bit concerning, but the good news is that if you still have the Windows 10 USB Drive that your OS came on (hopefully the builder gave it back), you can always re-install the OS directly from the drive should shutting off the power during the reset cause corruption of the OS.

GTing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
Heheh, actually it turns out I was worried for nothing. It was stuck on 11% for an hour, maybe two, but I left it for several more hours, came back and found it was working properly. I got worried from the posts I read online about other folks having it get stuck at certain percentages but that wasn't the case here.

Reading online I'm finding that it's still possible for malware to be in the system despite using the reset option but I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm overthinking this matter. The folks who set up my PC run a shop for repairs (and they apparently also do assembly) and get laptops (and maybe even PCs) all the time, I think I probably let my paranoia run away with me (although obviously I'll download avira and malwarebytes as a matter of course, and that ought to put me at ease).

As my rig is able to load up windows 10, are there are drivers I need to worry about? I'll download the titan x pascal drivers just to make sure I'm getting full use of my cards, but is there anything else I should get too? If windows 10 is actually loaded up, do I still need to get drivers for my motherboard for instance?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
Heheh, actually it turns out I was worried for nothing. It was stuck on 11% for an hour, maybe two, but I left it for several more hours, came back and found it was working properly. I got worried from the posts I read online about other folks having it get stuck at certain percentages but that wasn't the case here.

Reading online I'm finding that it's still possible for malware to be in the system despite using the reset option but I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm overthinking this matter. The folks who set up my PC run a shop for repairs (and they apparently also do assembly) and get laptops (and maybe even PCs) all the time, I think I probably let my paranoia run away with me (although obviously I'll download avira and malwarebytes as a matter of course, and that ought to put me at ease).

As my rig is able to load up windows 10, are there are drivers I need to worry about? I'll download the titan x pascal drivers just to make sure I'm getting full use of my cards, but is there anything else I should get too? If windows 10 is actually loaded up, do I still need to get drivers for my motherboard for instance?

Strange that it got stuck, but glad it recovered on its own.

Yes, you should install all the drivers for your motherboard, because some are quite specialized. Windows 10 won't load the latest ones automatically. That includes Ethernet, wireless Internet, audio, and a few others.

Malwarebytes is very good. I can't say anything one way or the other about Avira. I recommend free Microsoft Windows Defender for viruses.

GTing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »
If I'm...ummm....listening to my paranoia again and decided to do a clean install of windows 10, and the installation window showed me several partitions and such, should I follow the advice I read somewhere that I should delete all partitions (after backing up anything necessary, which I don't yet have in the PC)? I see one with a total space of nearly 2TB (which is where the windows will ultimately install) and one with almost 4TB, and then a whole bunch of smaller ones (with differing labels). Should I delete all partitions, or all partitions EXCEPT the ones labelled primary? Should I format the two primary ones (cause I don't want something stuck in the windows.old getting me)? If I was to hit delete for the two primary ones (which I won't unless you advise otherwise), what's the worst I could expect? Would it be something fixable?

Also, they installed windows 10 but I don't know if they had internet access and so the key got activated or not, should I hit 'I don't have the product key' for now and then enter it in later (in case it was already activated prior)?

Actually, since I was supposed to have a clean install of windows 10 already, why would I have an MSR (reserved) and system and all that partitions? Shouldn't it just be the two primary ones?

Also, there's no goof I could do that would cause permanent damage or inability to fix, is there? Like say maybe some necessary drivers that must always remain located on a primary drive, or deleting a primary drive and never being able to find it again unless I take it back the PC hardware store again (or ever).

I'm probably being unnecessarily paranoid but.....better safe than sorry?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
If your system is working fine, I'd probably leave it alone at this point. There's nothing left on there but the operating system. All the partitions you see were created by it.

If you really wanted to start over, as in what you'd see if you just took the parts out of the boxes, you need to delete all partitions and format the drives.