Author Topic: Request for advice for a new motherboard  (Read 994 times)

kaal

• View Profile
Request for advice for a new motherboard
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
TBG - VERY IMPRESSIVE WEBSITE & SUPERIOR INFO YOU SHARE, MUCH THANKS!

I need help in designing a new build for primarily internet on an existing monitor & video on a 2nd screen which is a TV. The only thing I'm sure about is the motherboard has to be ATX size. The reason is I'll use my old case that fits into the custom furniture rack layout that includes my TV set top box & audio receiver. I'm able to hard-wire my internet connection. Another thing that's important is Bluetooth transmission with excellent lip sync to my APTX enabled headset cause I'm very hard of hearing.
I'd like to start with the new Intel Z270 chipset & a 6th or 7th generation Intel cpu. Should I do a graphics card or use what's built into the motherboard? One thing I'd like to think about for the future is virtual reality.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Request for advice for a new motherboard
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum kaal!

I can certainly help you with your new build. A few questions for you:

- What resolution are your TV and monitor?  This will determine if you need a separate video card.

- what case do you have?  This will determine what cooler and add-in cards you can use.

By the way, two tips: you don't need an ATX motherboard for an ATX case - you can actually use smaller, cheaper mATX boards. Also, virtual reality requires a huge amount of video card power, which may not work well for a home theater PC depending on the case and power supply.

kaal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
None of the stuff is new. It still works beautifully.

The monitor is a 24" Dell model 2407WF
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_display/dell-12407wfp-hc_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf#page4

The TV is a 58" Samsung plasma 1080P model PN58B650
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2009/04/25/pn58b650s1fxza/PN58B650_031309_R7.pdf

The case is a desktop Silverstone
http://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=en&model=lc20

I'm not married to ATX but I want to continue with an ATX size desktop case to maintain the visual balance of the furniture rack setup in my den. The monitor sits on a corner of a coffee table near my couch. The computer is about 10' away, connected by a hidden component cable & is controlled with a wireless keyboard with incorporated touch pad.

VR does look interesting & this does look like the last setup I'll ever have.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »
OK, that's some very nice gear. Your monitor is a 1920x1200 model, and your TV is a 1920x1080 model. Both are fully supported by onboard motherboard video outputs, so you actually don't need a video card to run them.

The LC20 is very nice looking case, but it has limited airflow. This is something you'll need to consider when adding high-powered components. Because overclocking isn't a great idea in this case, you really don't need a Z270 motherboard. An H270 motherboard will do everything you need, and simply drops the overclocking support. Therefore, here are the components I'd recommend:

(1) CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 for ~$200. This chip gives you very high performance along with very low power consumption. It's ideal for a high-end home theater PC.
(2) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H270-Gaming 3 for $125. This motherboard offers all the features of more expensive Z270 boards (like high-end audio components, lots of USB 3.0 and even USB 3.1 ports, and dual M.2 SSD slots in case you want to upgrade your system drive to a fast new model). It has a DVI-D output, which you'd use for your Dell monitor, as well as an HDMI output, which you'd use for your plasma TV.

The only reason to invest in a video card would be to run a VR system, like the HTC Vive. The cost of the Vive (or the competing Oculus Rift + Oculus Touch) is $800, and the video card I'd recommend to run them is the $370 Zotac GeForce GTX 1070, which at 8.7" long happens to be the perfect size for your SilverStone LC20 case (which has a 9.5" length restriction unless you remove drive trays).

You'll need to decide if you want to make that ~$1,200 investment in VR, but for now, I'll leave that aside, as it can always be added later.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:52:50 PM by Ari Altman »

kaal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:12:47 AM »
Thanks so much for your advice, much appreciated.

What do you think of this model board?
GIGABYTE Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 (rev. 1.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-K5-rev-10#kf
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-K5-rev-10#kf

It has the latest chipset Z270 plus it supports the latest fastest protocol NVMe for SSD. With the newest & grooviest and I get a game or 2, I can probably get my grandchildren over to visit more often😀. And if it only costs a couple of hundred bucks more to do it, I'm a winner.

Will the Intel Core i5-7500 do the trick with that board?

Can we find a solution for cooling? I'd like to keep the Silverstone case, or will replace if it's an issue.

As you said, the VR will wait
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:35:30 AM by kaal »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
Hi again, kaal!

If you'd like to impress the grandchildren with a fast-booting PC that offers serious gaming performance, you don't need the Z270X-Gaming K5 motherboard, but you will need a good SSD and a video card. Again, I think you can stick with the Core i5-7500 CPU (which is plenty fast) and H270 motherboard (which also supports NVMe SSDs) but here's what I'd add:

(1) The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Video Card - this GPU is incredibly powerful for running games at 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200. And this specific model is short enough to fit in your case, which most GTX 1060 models are not. Note that any GPU more powerful than a GTX 1060 will get hot and noisy in your case, but based on the resolution you're running, they would be completely unnecessary anyway. This card can even support most VR titles.

(2) The Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD - this is one of the fastest drives ever released, and a great value in the high-end market. If you want to experience the full power of NVMe, PCIe, and 3D V-NAND, this is the drive to give that to you. You really need Windows 10 to fully support this SSD, so if you're running an older version of Windows, I'd suggest upgrading using the Windows 10 Flash Drive.

By the way, a great game to share with the kids would be Overwatch, which was the unanimous 2016 Game of the Year, and isn't bloody or overly violent. It can be purchased direct from Blizzard, the publisher. Another game I think offers a lot to kids of all ages is Rise of the Tomb Raider, available from Amazon. Both would run great on a Core i5-7500/GTX 1060 setup.

If you felt strongly that you wanted to rebuild this system into a more modern case with better cooling, go with the SilverStone GD09 HTPC case, which is a compact ATX case that will work well in your cabinet. It's much better-performing than your older SilverStone model, despite being more compact (front-to-back). You can see the case built up with an extreme gaming setup in the TBG Gallery.

kaal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
I'm suffering from remote control depression :'(. Everything is under remote control but my PC. It means I've got to get off my couch to push a button to turn it on from either a cold start or wake it up if it's gone to sleep.

Is there any hardware that will solve this serious major problem?

How about the Advanced Power Management (APM) configuration in the bios? I'd like to wake it up from my Bluetooth keyboard. But it's asleep too cause my dongle is connected to the PC?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
I'm suffering from remote control depression :'(. Everything is under remote control but my PC. It means I've got to get off my couch to push a button to turn it on from either a cold start or wake it up if it's gone to sleep.

Is there any hardware that will solve this serious major problem?

How about the Advanced Power Management (APM) configuration in the bios? I'd like to wake it up from my Bluetooth keyboard. But it's asleep too cause my dongle is connected to the PC?

Actually, there is a fantastic new product that SilverStone just sent me last week to review. It's the ES02-USB 2.4GHz Wireless Remote. It uses USB power to trigger the power/reset buttons, and it works perfectly. This is going to end up in a number of the TBG PC buyer's guides soon enough, but you're the first to know!

kaal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
Ari, now you've got me excited. That SilverStone remote might be the answer but I need help in fleshing out a better understanding.
1. I assume by using Windows to exit the PC, I'm putting the PC into a deep sleep & I use the PC's reset/start button on the case to wake it up.
2. To turn off the power completely to the PC, I have to use the on/off switch on the power supply.
I think those 2 things are correct.

Can I assume the SilverStone remote can wake the PC from the deep sleep from only the USB connection without the included power/reset Y cable. Or does it need those connections to make it work.

The instructions say the ES02 attaches onto the motherboard's USB 9 pin female connector. Can the ES02 be converted to a male connection because the picture show female? It looks like it is just a slip on male/female adapter I hope. Or is it soldered on? Then it needs a 9 pin x 9 pin male to male adapter for it to fit the GA-H270. What does the included left and right angled USB adapters mean?
http://www.silverstonetek.com/sstedm/es02-usb/es02-usb-edm-en.pdf

Alternatively, if the onboard USB connection just by itself can wake up the PC, wouldn't a Bluetooth dongle fitted with the right adapter do the same trick? Conversely, what about motherboards that have the wifi Bluetooth combo built in?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
The SilverStone ES02 requires a motherboard USB header to work. It must be wired exactly as shown in the instructions, using the Y cable that's included. I'm not sure why you'd want to switch the connector, you have USB headers on your motherboard. The right-angled adapter simply allows you to position it in different ways in case it doesn't fit in your case pointing up (for example, low-profile cases). In most situations you will not use the adapter.

The remote simply replicates the power and reset buttons on the computer. It does the exact same thing, so if your PC wakes up when you press the power button, the remote will do the same.

When you shut down your computer, it is not in deep sleep, it is off, but the motherboard still retains some power for very basic functions like powering USB devices. To cut all power, you must shut off the power supply or pull the plug from the wall.