Author Topic: Premium System Mashup  (Read 2958 times)

UfoMan

• View Profile
Premium System Mashup
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
Greetings Ari, and the TBG community.

As so many have said, thank you for this great site and all of these great builds! Iíve been in IT for a while now, always wanted to build my own system, but never have. Our company resells Dell, so I reached out to our rep for a quote on the newly refreshed Aurora gaming desktop with an i7-7700k and 2667MHz RAM, but my build came back at only a slight discount and still above $2600Ö which lead me here.

Been over the website for the last week (you know how we get), and found so much great information. Before diving into the system mashup Iím thinking about, a little background on where Iím coming from and system requirements.

Iím replacing a Dell Precision T5400 from 2008 that I picked up 3 years ago cheap, $25 cheap! Itís running dual Xenon Quad Core 3.0GHz CPUs, 16GB RAM @ 667MHz, dual Samsung 840 Pro Series 120GB SSDs in a RAID 1 (OS) (ran tests and with the crappy RAID card was only seeing a 10% increase in write speeds, but was still seeing a 90% increase in read speed regardless of RAID 0 or 1, so I opted for redundancy having just come off a drive failure), dual WD Blue 500GB HDDs in a RAID 1 for data, a Radeon RX 460 and dual 24Ē 1080p monitors. All of this was pieced together for a total of about $600. Not a bad little systemÖ for its timeÖ

Thereís only 2 purposes for this computer: basic productivity and Eve Online. Havenít seen Eve mentioned on here, but CCP keeps the system requirements really low, with the recommended setup able to run 1080p at full graphic. The trouble comes when running 2 or 3 clients in windowed mode. CPU and RAM donít seem to be an issue, but the RX 460 runs at 100% usage, even when OCíd to the max, and 20 minutes later the clients start crashing. The GPU has dual fans and 2x 120mm fans blowing from the front of the case (CPUs & RAM have a dedicated 240mm). So, airflow isnít an issue, and if I change to potato mode (aka = graphics all the way down), I have no problems at all. Itís a pity changing to potato mode, as Eve is really pretty with full graphics! The system is old, so here we are.

One ďniceĒ thing about Eve is that itís limited to 60 fps, which makes 4k an option as thereís no loss over the 1440p refresh rate. Also, due to legacy code, Eve runs on a single core, making clock speed more important than core count. Lastly, Eve is easy on the RAM; even with my super slow bus speeds, I can run 6 clients with full graphics and only hit 12GB used (until they start crashing ofc). Since Iím only shooting to run 3 or 4 clients, 16GB should be sufficient. With that said, Iím looking at a cross between the $2k and $2.5k builds. Hereís the build I have so far, but thereís a number of places I need help:

• CPU: i7-7700k
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 or Corsair H100i v2
  •     *Totally open here; whatever I can push clock speeds furthest with
  • RAM: Corsair LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 C16 Blue or Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 C16 White
  •     *LED if water cooled, LPX if air cooled (for clearance)
  • MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5
  •     *Other than bus speeds of 4133MHz and an extra LAN port, any other advantage to the K7?
  •     *Based on your builds Iíd also be considering the Asus Strix Z270E or even the Asus Maximus IX Hero, but Iím put off by Asusí extremely poor customer service record. Whatís your experience on that front?
  • Video Card:  Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
  •     *The G1 comes at a great price; is the XTREME worth the added cost in your eyes?
  •     *Should also consider the Asus GTX 1070 Strix, but see above.
  •     *Am I totally off base with a 1070 when considering 4k? Should I go straight to the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 or dual 1070s in SLI?
  •         *If going straight to SLI the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW & Hybrid seem like a sweet setup with the cards ability to handle heat by mixing air & water cooling. They do come at a bit of a premium for the rated speed, but customer service is important too. Is there a better option for SLI?
  •             *SLI Bridge: EVGA PRO SLI Bridge HB - Looks like 4 spaced for the MoBos mentioned
  • EVGA Supernova P2 750W
  •     *Probably an 850 if I plan to go SLI?
  • Drives:
  •         *Reused from the existing build as they are SATA III and only 3 yearís old
  •     *Data: WD Blue 500GB HDD x2
  •         *Reused from existing build
  • Case: SilverStone Primera PM01 or Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Phanteks Enthoo PRO M
  •     *Or any other case. Iím totally open here with no attachment to a DVD drive.
  • Monitor: 4k something or other based on you Monitor Buyerís Guide
  •     *For the time being I will continue with the 2x Dell 24Ē 1080p I currently have, till the system is built and I start itching for 4k goodness.

Wow, after reading over that it sure looks like I wasnít able to narrow things down at all! A lot of the options are things that I need help with, but once one decision is made the other items should start to fall into line.

I should probably just pick one of your builds rather than asking you to re-invent the wheel. That said, I really appreciate your replies in the forums, thoughtfulness you give to the site and am looking forward to what you have to say, if for no other reason than to dork out a bit.  ;)

Anyways, thank you so much for your time and any direction would be much appreciated.

P.S. - What is the list syntax to get a second level bullet to work? Couldn't figure it out for the life of me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:00:31 PM by UfoMan »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Premium System Mashup
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
Welcome to the TBG Forum, UfoMan!!!!

Let me break this into four focus points to facilitate decision making:

(1) Video Cards

So, I'd love to talk you into a monster SLI rig (because I run several of them and they're tons of fun just to look at, not to mention play on!)...

But, you absolutely don't need one, and shouldn't build one. Eve Online is the kind of game where you won't get anything out of throwing money at it from the GPU perspective. That 60Hz framerate lock could probably be achieved with a card under $200, but since you're shopping in the $2,000+ price range, I'll support your inclination to go with a single GTX 1070. Is it overkill for your game? Yes, but not massive overkill, and it's brutally efficient, meaning you're not going to generate tons of heat. The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 is the best value out there in terms of a custom card with a big factory overclock at a discounted price, but if you wanted a truly premium cooler, go with the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X. Will it run faster? Nope. But it will be a bit quieter. Don't bother with the Gigabyte Xtreme, and leave SLI out of the picture for now. I don't think it will do anything for you in Eve Online, even at 4K. If you need it, you can add it later.

(2) CPU, Motherboard, Cooler and Memory (the "guts" of the system)

I think you're doing the right thing going with the Core i7-7700K. I just upgraded TBG's quad-core bench with a 7700K, and it's humming along right now at a 5GHz core clock, using under 1.3V. Sure, it's not really all that different than a 6700K, but that OC headroom is just so sweet! And Eve Online will eat up its massive single-threaded performance.

Good of you to catch on to the fact that big RAM heatsinks (as on the Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3200 Blue Kit) can get in the way of liquid coolers like the Corsair Hydro H100i v2. If I were you, I'd go for the LED RAM, and skip the liquid cooler. You don't really need it, and it only adds complication and noise. The Noctua NH-D15 will work (as in it's the most powerful air cooler ever made!), but it's pretty big, hard to install, and will run right into those LED memory modules, requiring you to mess with the fan height. Instead, go with the Noctua NH-U14S. It installs more easily than any other cooler on the market, runs silently, and is more than powerful enough to tame a 5GHz 7700K. Your game's only going to use one of your CPU's cores, after all! If you were a competitive Prime95 bencher, than yeah, liquid cooling would be the way to go, but in your situation, I'd keep it simple. I love the U14S, it's my favorite cooler ever, period. And I've tested a lot (I have five 120mm coolers sitting right here ready for my next cooler shootout, as it happens!).

By the way, when it comes to Z270 motherboards, there are diminishing returns as you approach $200. I'd recommend the Gigabyte Gaming K5 or the MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, which I'll be featuring in a review later this week. The Asus Z270E is great in that it comes with built-in 802.11ac networking. If that's something you want, it's the best pick, otherwise the other boards are just as good.

(3) Case

This one's pretty easy, in the sense that the SilverStone Primera PM01 and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M are my two favorite cases on the market right now, and they're the two you're considering. The Enthoo Pro is also excellent, but it's pretty big, and I tend to prefer smaller cases, at least when they don't compromise component compatibility.  You don't need its larger size for this build.

Here's an easy way for your to choose: The Enthoo Pro M is all business, the equivalent of the "teutonic" BMW in the car world, which isn't too surprising given that it's from a Dutch company. The Primera PM01 is curvy, maybe just a little crazy, but it performs with the best of them (literally, the Pro M and PM01 are the two best cases for air-cooling on the market today). I view the PM01 as the equivalent of a Ferrari in the car world. Luckily, neither will set you back all that much cash (unlike said automobiles), so you can pretty much just choose them based on style. Note that the Pro M has a wider stance, while the PM01 is a lot taller and deeper due to its flashy "grill and hood" work. If I were buying a Pro M today, I'd get the tempered glass edition. It's only available in black and adds $20 to the cost, but it will give this mid-range case a very high-end feel.

(4) SSDs

You didn't ask, but I'll go ahead and suggest this anyway: replace your small 840 Pros with a single 250GB or 500GB drive. They're ready for retirement (or repurposing in a family member's older PC that needs a boost). Those high-end drives were pretty crippled when equipped with so little NAND (i.e., 128GB), and using an SSD for RAID backup seems like a less than optimal scenario to me (as you discovered, RAID0 SSDs don't perform quite as well as we'd like them too - something I explored in TBG's SSD shootout). If you really don't need more than 250GB of space, treat yourself to a Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2, which offers insane sequential speeds versus your drives. Otherwise pick up a Crucial MX300 525GB for around the same price. I've got no issue at all with your dual WD Blue 500GB drives, as long as you don't need more storage than they provide.

You mentioned that maybe you should just pick one of the existing builds, and ultimately, you probably could, but this kind of discussion will help you, and other readers, understand the logic behind how those builds are structured. And it also helps me think about what readers in the real world are looking for, so thanks for asking!

P.S. I don't actually know how to do multi-level bullets on this forum - trust me, I've tried, and the fact that I've failed to figure it out is kind of embarrassing, given that it's my gosh-darn forum!

UfoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
Ari,

Here's the short reply: AWESOME, THANK YOU!

Here's the less short reply:

This made a world of difference. I'm very appreciative that you took the time to thoughtfully and intentionally address so many questions, and in such short time. I get that you enjoy this stuff as much as I do (probably more, given the site and all). :p

(1) Video Cards:

Thank you for narrowing this down. Huge help. My inclination is to match the GPU to the Mobo. While I understand this is in no way necessary, that's just what my gut tells me. Which brings us to...

(2) "Guts":

U14S and LED RAM, done. Simple is good.

As to the Mobo, might we get a sneak peek of the upcoming MSI Pro Carbon review before next week? Since it's so new there's virtually no reviews available anywhere. I have a hard time over looking that the Gigabyte has 4.3 starts over 231 reviews on Amazon alone and is a much more known quantity. Don't get me wrong, I'm open to brand new products, just looking for some feedback on what I'm buying first.

Edit: Given this config, should I be good dropping to a 650W PSU?

(3) Case:

The analogy worked perfectly. I'm a rather pragmatic guy, so the Pro M it is. And yes, I'm going full vanity and dropping the extra $20 for tempered glass.

(4) SSDs:

It was bound to happen eventually, I was just going to pause to get the Pro series rather than the Evo. This thought was mostly around the extended life of Pro drives since the additional speed is minimal. Pausing was just a money thing, since I'd have to more than double the cost and go from 250GB in the Evo to 512GB for the Pro. After another review of you SSD shootout, the Evo does make a lot of sense from a price / performance perspective. All I need is 250GB, so, think I'm sold, but maybe I'll sleep on it.

As to the process of understanding the logic behind the build, I only posted because others had done the same and you were so helpful in your replies. I'm all for an open learning / thinking process, never know who it might help, beyond the present company of course.

P.S. - Stupid bullets; I managed to get 5 lines working, but as soon as I tried to have 2 sub bullets everything went bad. It's going to bug me...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:54:08 PM by UfoMan »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »
So this is really, really sad, but in between the time that I posted that response to you and my typing this follow-up response, my MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon bit the dust. Seriously, I've been on the floor switching out motherboards, PSUs, and CPUs since about 5pm (it's 10pm now, so yes, I pretty much wrote off my evening).

Luckily, the other board I got in for review, a Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3, is working perfectly, and I'm back up typing on this system now (the floor is still strewn with motherboards, cases, and power supplies, unfortunately, so the night is not over).

With that being said, I'm feeling a bit hesitant about recommending that MSI board at the moment, as you might imagine. Go with the Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming K5, but take note, Amazon is doing something I really, truly dislike (and have sent feedback on in the past): it's grouping a previous-gen product with a whole slew of current-gen products to pump up that user rating. None of these Z270 boards are going to have more than a handful of reviews, but somehow Amazon has slipped in the Z170X-Gaming 7, which had hundreds of reviews since it's a few years old. In fact, every user review prior to February 2nd is for the Z170X, and frankly, I'm going to blow my top in a moment....

OK, feedback submitted to Amazon regarding deceptive user feedback practices. Feel better now.

And yes, for your system, the EVGA Supernova 650 P2 is perfect. In fact, it's even perfect if you go SLI later on. A 7700K/1070SLI system will only draw 450W, believe it or not.

By the way, I thought about suggesting the 960 Pro to you, based on your having a previous-gen Pro series. I agree that the MLC NAND in the Pro is a more resilient design, but unless you're really hammering your SSD with writes, it truly won't make a difference in terms of longevity. And you've got the problem of having to jump up to the 960 Pro 512GB for $330, given that a 256GB model isn't being offered. All that did factor into my advice to you, which is why I ended up suggesting the 960 Evo 250GB. I have a 960 Evo 500GB sitting right here that I bought at retail, so you could say it passed the "putting my money where my mouth is" test.

Off to clean up the mess I've made...

UfoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
How'd the evening play out? Your floor still a mess? :)

Thank you for pointing out the massive flaw in Amazon's review process! Rolling old reviews onto new products certainly impacted my decision making process. Thank you for following up with Amazon. I bet it's a result of legacy code and how they have been combining products over the last few months. Combining reviews sure is a HUGE drawback from a consumer POV.

As to the MSI Carbon, sounds like we did get a sneak peek, and the answer was clear. Thus is life.

So, that leaves me with the following build:
*Should really stick with a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming card on the Gigabyte Mobo, or am I just being superstitious?

Just a few follow up questions and I promise I will start buying stuff:

Still wondering what you think about Asusí extremely poor customer service record. Mind saying a few words on that front?

Lastly, I'm still tempted to start with the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW; if I add the Hybrid later on it would be an efficient way to handle heat by mixing air & water cooling as per your Elite Gaming PC build. Worth considering this option for me? I know you said ignore SLI, but this is coming more from a 3 to 4 monitor perspective (dual 4k and dual 1080p) with 2 video cards running in a stand-alone setup.

(These are the links I'm working off of. If you'd like to double check them to be sure that Amazon gives you the proper credit for when I order, that'd be great.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:01:40 PM by UfoMan »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
Hey again, UfoMan!

Yeah, all's well over here, floor cleaned up, rebuilt 7700K test rig humming along at 5GHz on a Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3 board, running dual GTX 1070 cards in SLI (an Asus Founders Edition and an EVGA ACX, by the way).

So, that answers one of your questions: no need to worry about mixing manufacturers when it comes to motherboards and video cards. Interestingly, Asus added video card overclocking features to its motherboard software that only works with Asus cards, but Gigabyte's newest Windows Z270 software suite adds even better controls, and allows them to work with any brand. So there's another feather in Gigabyte's cap.

As mentioned above, I'm mixing a blower and an open-air card, and I've done a lot of testing that shows that these "frankenstein" approaches actually work really well (I also have matched GTX 1080 ACX cards in SLI in another system, and the top card gets very toasty). The coolest setup would be dual liquid, but liquid cards are more expensive and a serious pain to install versus a standard card. That's especially true when you're using two, as one radiator must be mounted in front, blowing back into the case. Furthermore, liquid cooling is completely unnecessary for the lower card in an SLI setup. Because SLI never runs both cards at 100% all the time, and because the top card is pulling heat away from the lower card, you'll always get comparatively-low temps on the bottom card in a dual-card setup versus the top card, as well versus that very same card running on its own. If you have an interest in SLI (or dual cards in non-SLI for multi-monitor use-), go for the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW now, and get the FTW Hybrid model later (if at all).

You asked about the Asus reputation issue. Here's the deal: I've never had an Asus product fail, and I've tested a lot. So I can't comment on their service, but their motherboards are fantastic, in my opinion, and often roll out cutting edge features long before competitors (they were a generation ahead on RGB controls, and are currently a generation ahead on implementing USB 3.1 Gen 2 headers). Sometimes this gets them into trouble (some of the early ultra-high-end X99 boards were notoriously buggy, because Asus basically tried to add too many third-party controllers to them in a quest to add more features than anyone else). I spotted that issue early on, and for TBG's Core i7-6900K/X99 bench system went with the "stripped down" Asus X99-Pro at around $300. It's been rock solid through lots of benchmarking and rebuilds, and the built-in WiFi is ultra-fast, not surprising given that Asus sells some of the best routers in the world, which no other motherboard manufacturer can claim.

The issue with Asus boards in my opinion is price: you typically pay a premium versus other brands, especially at the lower end of the price spectrum, and Asus is particularly aggressive about cutting back in the I/O cluster, where you'll always find fewer USB ports than on competing boards. That being said, I recommend Asus strongly at the high end ($200 and up), where the $10-20 premium is worth paying. I believe you may be looking at the Asus Z270E, and I think it's totally worth considering (it's out of stock at the moment at Amazon, but was in stock earlier today). Ideally, you won't need their customer service, and customer service when it comes to motherboards is far less compelling than quality. For example, EVGA has the best customer service, bar none, but their motherboards are pretty unreliable. Would I buy (or recommend) an EVGA motherboard? Nope, no way. But for video cards, they are absolutely the best for anyone who wants the comfort of knowing that service is just a phone call away. Again, here's an example of how I determine what gets recommended on this site.

By the way, thanks for helping support this site by using the Amazon links provided. I didn't check all of the ones you posted, but if you start your purchase with an empty Amazon cart and then use this Core i7-7700K link, you can just add all the other components directly from Amazon. The forum only gets credit for purchases "generated" after following a link, so things already in your cart don't count, but anything you add afterward does.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:40:24 PM by Ari Altman »

UfoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »
Hey Ari,

Just getting going with the buying process and came across an article that the new AMD line is slated to be made public come March 2nd. Was wondering if I should wait till then to see if Intel respond and lowers their prices. As normal, the AMD line is expected to give the same performance as the comparable Intel, for 1/3rd the price.

As I haven't been watching "the market" when a new product hits, I'm not sure if expecting a price drop from Intel is just a fantasy. Any experience you might be willing to share?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:48:58 PM by UfoMan »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
Hey Ari,

Just getting going with the buying process and came across an article that the new AMD line is slated to be made public come March 2nd. Was wondering if I should wait till then to see if Intel respond and lowers their prices. As normal, the AMD line is expected to give the same performance as the comparable Intel, for 1/3rd the price.

As I haven't been watching "the market" when a new product hits, I'm not sure if expecting a price drop from Intel is just a fantasy. Any experience you might be willing time share?

Cheers!

The release of Ryzen will indeed be quite interesting. It's been a while (since 2005, in fact) that we had a truly competitive AMD. I can virtually guarantee you, however, that Intel will not lower prices. They are rumored to be releasing slightly upgraded chips at the same price points. When Intel introduced Kaby Lake last month, it already had plenty of indications of what AMD had on offer, and it priced its products right where it wanted them, while introducing some surprising firsts: the first $60 chip with Hyperthreading (the G4560), the first unlocked Core i3 dual-core (the 7350K). That's how Intel hopes to counter AMD at the low end.

And as for "same performance...1/3 the price", I'm afraid that's really not ture. It's never been that way, and it won't be that way now. From the test sessions I sat in on at CES with AMD's engineers, from benching the Core i7-6700K, 7700K, and 6900K extensively, and from leaked pricepoints for Ryzen's top-end chips, what I believe we'll be seeing is a chip that can match the Core i7-6900K eight-core chip for half the price. But that is a niche chip, so the reality is that for a lot of people, a $350 Core i7-7700K is still better, and would have been better even if the Core i7-6900K were actually $500 all this time.

So it's going to be a question of finding the right tool for the job. Will Intel's Broadwell-E lineup be under some serious pressure from AMD? Yes, it will, absolutely, and we may see price drops on those year-old processors. But I don't think AMD has anything to match the Core i7-7700K, which I'm running at 5GHz as we speak. AMD is bringing multi-cores to the masses, which has been a long time coming, but it just doesn't have Intel's clock speed or IPC, and in fact even Intel can't do much to push beyond what it has right now. For single- and lightly-threaded tasks, we're all stuck with what Intel pioneered more than five years ago and has just been refining ever since.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:47:27 PM by Ari Altman »

UfoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
Hey Ari,

Wanted to follow up with the final build and some gratitude for all the help! The system looks and runs great. Super quiet, extremely fast and more than enough horsepower to make Eve look beautiful! At least on the dual 1080p monitors (for the time being).

Here's the final build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
RAM: Corsair LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 C16 Red
MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Gaming X
PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W
Drive (OS): Samsung 960 Evo M.2 250GB
Drive (Data): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Drive (Backups): WD Blue 500GB
Case: Phanteks Enthoo PRO M Tempered Glass
Fans: 3x Phanteks 140mm Cooling Fans
Monitors: 2x Dell 24Ē 1080p monitors

I managed to cram 3x 140mm fans on the front of the case, though it's only made for 2. I used the 2 bottom must mounting locations and then, with some long screws, mounted the 3rd fan inside the case, where the dvd drive would have gone. There's also 2 fans on the back; one exhausting out the back and the other out the top.

Thanks to your 120mm CPU Cooler review I adjusted the fan profiles and can barely notice them running! Prior to the adjustment the CPU and 2 other fans (sharing the CPU Opt header) were constantly revving up and down.

Also, changing the data drive to an SSD is AMAZING! I will never use a spinning disk again, unless it's for cold storage. What a difference.

Again, thank you so much for all the help. I'm so happy with the outcome!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:28:50 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:53 PM »
So glad to hear this worked out for you - that's a very sweet (and modern) system you have. Agreed that SSDs for data are the way to go if you can swing it. I personally don't run hard drives at all anymore - I just couldn't bear to hear them spinning up and down!

Speaking of that, as you learned, fans can be similarly annoying, even when you're using high-quality gear. I'm glad the 120mm CPU cooler Shootout's discussion of fan profiles set you in the right direction. I feel that's not a subject dealt with enough in typical reviews, and it's such an easy way to improve the PC experience.