Author Topic: In need of some help!  (Read 1090 times)

waleh

• View Profile
In need of some help!
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
Hello Ari and everyone else!

I currently have a skylake system with an i5 6600k. I feel like the i5 is holding me back in some titles like bf1 and so I wanted to upgrade to an i7. I have an itx system consisting of: i5 6600k, Asus z170i pro gaming, gtx 1070 FE, silverstone sugo sg13, corsair LPX 16 gb DDR4 2400 ram, and a samsung evo 500 gb SSD. Should I get a 6700/6700k, or 7700/7700k. I do not plan to overclock but I like the extra Mhz that the k processors have but if performance doesn't vary much I can live with the non K. I also need a new cooler. I want something compatible with my motherboard/case, easy to install, and able to control the heat. I primarily thought of the shuriken B2 or even a simple noctua L9i since I'm not OC'ing. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: In need of some help!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:02:55 PM »
Hello Ari and everyone else!

I currently have a skylake system with an i5 6600k. I feel like the i5 is holding me back in some titles like bf1 and so I wanted to upgrade to an i7. I have an itx system consisting of: i5 6600k, Asus z170i pro gaming, gtx 1070 FE, silverstone sugo sg13, corsair LPX 16 gb DDR4 2400 ram, and a samsung evo 500 gb SSD. Should I get a 6700/6700k, or 7700/7700k. I do not plan to overclock but I like the extra Mhz that the k processors have but if performance doesn't vary much I can live with the non K. I also need a new cooler. I want something compatible with my motherboard/case, easy to install, and able to control the heat. I primarily thought of the shuriken B2 or even a simple noctua L9i since I'm not OC'ing. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Welcome back, Waleh!

So, you've got an itch to upgrade that very new system of yours, huh? Such is the life of a PC builder! The truth is, however, that an i7 is superior in many recent games, as shown in several TBG Gamer's Bench articles, so your desire to upgrade is well-founded.

As for the 6700K vs 7700K question, absolutely go for the Core i7-7700K at this point. It's basically a factory overclocked 6700K, performing about 10% faster out of the box, with just a $10-$15 price premium. That makes it a no-brainer. The one thing you must do, however, is update the firmware for your Asus Z170I to version 3016 (released Jan. 5, 2017)  before you install the new CPU. Note that even if you don't plan on overclocking, the tremendous clockrate of the 7700K makes it worth buying over non-K processors like the 7700. To learn more about how clockrate affects game performance, see TBG's Gaming CPU Shootout.

In terms of coolers, there are only a few that will fit on that board in that case. The Scythe Big Shuriken is a great option. While I can't personally guarantee that it will fit over your Corsair LPX RAM, multiple user reviews using your motherboard suggest that it will fit. Just note that I found that the similar Reeven Steropes would not. As for the Noctua NH-L9i, as much as I love most Noctua coolers, I can't recommend that model, because it performs terribly for the price. If you want something similar to that design that actually performs decently, go with the SilverStone AR06. By the way, feel free to check out TBG's Low-Profile Cooler Shootout for more details on the Steropes, AR06, and several other similar coolers.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:06:09 PM by Ari Altman »

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »
Thanks Ari! I always appreciate your in depth answers. I went ahead and ordered the Shuriken (I asked other people with the same RAM and motherboard as me and they didn't have clearance issues). I also ordered the 7700k and updated to the 3016 bios. Hopefully I can do the upgrade on Friday after work. Cheers.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
A little update,

I installed the 7700k and big shuriken 2 last week. I can definitely feel the difference in smoothness when upgrading to an i7 from an i5 and my gtx1070 is actually being used more (GPU usage is mostly above 90% compared to 50-70% with the i5). The one thing I've noticed is the 7700k gets toasty. After some hours of BF1 I see the CPU hitting 75-80 degrees but this is a tiny cooler and small case with a beefy CPU plus kabylake seems to run hotter than skylake from my reading. All in all, I will never buy an i5 again! I love this baby

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
A little update,

I installed the 7700k and big shuriken 2 last week. I can definitely feel the difference in smoothness when upgrading to an i7 from an i5 and my gtx1070 is actually being used more (GPU usage is mostly above 90% compared to 50-70% with the i5). The one thing I've noticed is the 7700k gets toasty. After some hours of BF1 I see the CPU hitting 75-80 degrees but this is a tiny cooler and small case with a beefy CPU plus kabylake seems to run hotter than skylake from my reading. All in all, I will never buy an i5 again! I love this baby

You've got a big upgrade there, glad to hear it's paying off! It's also great to have confirmation that the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 will work in the SilverStone SG13 in combination with the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming board.

It's not actually true that Kaby Lake runs hotter than Skylake. In fact, apples-to-apples, the opposite is the case. But it's not apples to apples comparing a 3.5GHz 6600K to a 4.2GHz 7700K. It's not even apples-to-apples comparing a 6700K to a 7700K. The fact is that the 7700K is what would have been called a newer stepping of the 6700K in past generations, meaning slight efficiency has been gained in the manufacturing process. To brand it a new processor, Intel has increased the voltage and the clock speed, however, which is why the 7700K can use more power than the 6700K. It's faster, but the new stepping doesn't improve efficiency enough for this to be a "free" speed boost.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:55:06 AM by Ari Altman »

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Yup the shuriken definitely fits with no problems! And, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help Ari. What is a safe temperature for the 7700k to be at? I don't want it to overheat or anything like that.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
Yup the shuriken definitely fits with no problems! And, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help Ari. What is a safe temperature for the 7700k to be at? I don't want it to overheat or anything like that.

You don't want it to regularly be above 80C while gaming.

How do you have the power supply installed? As odd as it seems, you might want to flip the fan on the Big Shiruken to blow into the fan intake of the psu.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 03:00:57 PM »
Yeah, I had that configuration on my previous cooler (AXP 100) but when I flipped the fan on the shuriken it made an unusual sound that was loud and made me think that the fan was not made to be flipped. It would be nice if I could fit a 25 mm fan in a flipped orientation  but I'm not sure if I'd have clearance for that. I do use a corsair SF600 PSU though which is tiny.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »
Not all fans can run upside-down, as the bearings may rub the housing. Also, it's possible the fan was hitting the heatsink. Still worth a try with your current one.  Also, with that small power supply, you should have much more clearance for larger fans given the case layout.