Author Topic: The TBG Ultra-Compact Micro ATX Build  (Read 5485 times)

Gradydann

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultra-Compact Micro ATX Build
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
Very interesting article. Considering the market share they have, kinda looks like we're at their mercy. Talk about a monopoly!

I haven't even added back the other 8GB stick yet.  :D

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »
Very interesting article. Considering the market share they have, kinda looks like we're at their mercy. Talk about a monopoly!

I haven't even added back the other 8GB stick yet.  :D

You got that right! To think...10 years ago, AMD actually had the better product, and Intel was about to launch its Core 2 Duo line that would change the computing world (and AMD's fortunes) forever!

mattym

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 05:03:18 AM »
Hi all,

First of all, thank you Ari for such a wonderful resource you are providing here. It really has saved me hours of research!

I'm just about to hit the big order button, but wanted some opinions on my hardware beforehand. My build is very very similar to the newly updated one (parts list below), with a couple of exceptions.

I have decided on the Cooler Master V550 psu, as I can get it for a good price but I note you recommend a 650w psu. Pcpartpicker suggests maximum draw is 340w, so should the v550 be ample?

Also, I was thinking of swapping the MB from the guide to the gigabyte z170m-d3h. Where I am based (China), the z170mx gaming 5 runs at about a 75% cost premium to the d3h and at the moment I'm not sure it's worth it (I won't be going SLI in the future). The only problem is that I can find very few reviews etc for this board.

Here is the permalink to the parts list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XW2ZJV

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions or suggestions (if you have any of course!).

Cheers,

Matt

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
Hi all,

First of all, thank you Ari for such a wonderful resource you are providing here. It really has saved me hours of research!

I'm just about to hit the big order button, but wanted some opinions on my hardware beforehand. My build is very very similar to the newly updated one (parts list below), with a couple of exceptions.

I have decided on the Cooler Master V550 psu, as I can get it for a good price but I note you recommend a 650w psu. Pcpartpicker suggests maximum draw is 340w, so should the v550 be ample?

Also, I was thinking of swapping the MB from the guide to the gigabyte z170m-d3h. Where I am based (China), the z170mx gaming 5 runs at about a 75% cost premium to the d3h and at the moment I'm not sure it's worth it (I won't be going SLI in the future). The only problem is that I can find very few reviews etc for this board.

Here is the permalink to the parts list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XW2ZJV

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions or suggestions (if you have any of course!).

Cheers,

Matt

Welcome to The TBG Forum, mattym!

Glad to hear you're interested in this build. It's definitely quite impressive when put together!

At to your two component questions, here are the answers:

(1) The Cooler Master V550 (US Link | UK Link) is an older Seasonic-based fully-modular PSU, which is to say it's actually a great pick. It's no longer cost-competitive in the US, but if you're finding it at a good price in China, then definitely go for it.

(2) Gigabyte's D3H line has a history of delivering great value, and the GA-Z170M-D3H (US Link | UK Link) is no different. One of the ways Gigabyte cuts costs on this board is to equip it with two PCIe slots and two PCI slots, the latter which are essentially useless. So you have to view this board as having two slots, which does reduce versatility a bit. The lack of SLI isn't a problem for you, clearly, but for example you might want a sound card and a wireless card - you'd have to choose one or the other.

Now, a word on power requirements. You are correct that a 650W unit is not required for this build, but in fact PC Part Picker is also wrong regarding its estimate. It uses algorithms based on listed thermal design envelope specifications, and it's typically about 30% off the mark. Because I've tested all of Intel's recent-gen quad-cores on a power meter, along with nearly every Nvidia video card released over the past 5 years, I know that the combination of a 6600K and a GTX 1070 in fact uses 240W at load.

Why do I spec the system with a 650W unit then? Two reasons: (1) the ability to go SLI (which by the way only draws about 350W, but requires a lot of cabling that 550W units may not have), and (2) economies of scale. You simply will not find high-quality PSUs rated under 550W, and 650W units typically cost just 5-10% more. Therefore, it makes sense in most cases to buy a 550W or even 650W unit even if all you need is 250-300W, as these are the best values. They also allow you to use the PSU in another more powerful system later on. Given that most quality power supplies have at least a 5-year warranty (and will likely outlast that), it's a good investment to make.

Hope that helps!

tamboril

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »
 I just ordered the updated version of this. I upgraded the RAM and the SSD to double each of their sizes. I did notice the conspicuous lack of a Wi-Fi card. So I added a cheap one of those.

One question, though. I plan to drive a dual monitor (Dell U2715H setup). What kind of cabling will I need with that graphics card?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
I just ordered the updated version of this. I upgraded the RAM and the SSD to double each of their sizes. I did notice the conspicuous lack of a Wi-Fi card. So I added a cheap one of those.

One question, though. I plan to drive a dual monitor (Dell U2715H setup). What kind of cabling will I need with that graphics card?

Congrats on the new system, and thanks for the feedback, tamboril.

Many TBG readers are surprised to learn that most PCs do not include built-in WiFi. This feature, which appears only in high-end motherboards, adds significantly to the cost and many users do not need it in a desktop. That being said, it's quite easy to add WiFi to any system. If you'd like to see TBG's recommendations for WiFi add-in cards and adapters, check out TBG's Wireless Networking Buyer's Guide.

As for your Dell U2715H monitors, they can be connected easily to your EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 video card. They include a mini-displayport to displayport cable in the box, and that's exactly what you should be using to connect them to two of the displayport outputs on your video card. The card has three in total, plus an HDMI 2.0 output.

Feel free to report back when your system is up and running!

mvlaplante

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Hello, first post on the forums.  I purchased all of the components listed except I opted for 16meg of ram (8 x 2) instead of 8.  Assembling the computer now and the only glitch I've run into was with the power supply.  I could not figure out how to install it.  There are six screws that hold the top cover down and you have to remove that to put the power supply in.  Also, the 1TB hard drive should be installed before putting the motherboard back in place.  I was barely able to squeeze it in under the cooler.

Now, all I have left is attaching the cables and waiting for the video card from Amazon.  Got to love Amazon.  Everything in the order arrived on Friday except the card which arrives on Monday.

Looking forward to firing it up and checking it out.  I am not an over-clocker so I will probably just leave everything at stock timings/voltages.  The most video intensive game I play is World of Tanks so it should not be much of a load for this CPU/GPU package.

Thank you for your article and list of components.  Perhaps you could do a quick "put-it-together" article specific to this build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »
Hello, first post on the forums.  I purchased all of the components listed except I opted for 16meg of ram (8 x 2) instead of 8.  Assembling the computer now and the only glitch I've run into was with the power supply.  I could not figure out how to install it.  There are six screws that hold the top cover down and you have to remove that to put the power supply in.  Also, the 1TB hard drive should be installed before putting the motherboard back in place.  I was barely able to squeeze it in under the cooler.

Now, all I have left is attaching the cables and waiting for the video card from Amazon.  Got to love Amazon.  Everything in the order arrived on Friday except the card which arrives on Monday.

Looking forward to firing it up and checking it out.  I am not an over-clocker so I will probably just leave everything at stock timings/voltages.  The most video intensive game I play is World of Tanks so it should not be much of a load for this CPU/GPU package.

Thank you for your article and list of components.  Perhaps you could do a quick "put-it-together" article specific to this build.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, mvlaplante!

I'm glad to hear that your micro-ATX build is coming along. As it turns out, this is one of the very first builds TBG ever covered, way back in the January 2014 review of the SilverStone TJ08-E, which is the predecessor to your SilverStone KL06. TBG's reviews back then were a bit less detailed, however, so while I'm quite familiar with the hard drive clearance issue you raised, it's unfortunately not mentioned in the review. I'm not as sure about the power supply problem, as I recall it going in without an issue. The case (and the rest of the PC) was donated, so I can't check on it anymore. Not because it wasn't great - on the contrary, it was something someone else would truly appreciate!

In any event, if other issues come up, I'll do my best to help, but it sounds like you're on the home stretch!

miiked

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »
As a complete newbie in pc building, I hope these questions are not bothersome:

Regarding this build, would I be able to to exchange the i7-7700K for the i5-7600K?
-I believe the i7 chip is more than I would want

As far as the case is concerned, the featured Silverstone KL06B will not look tasteful in my room. Would you please consider advising me on an alternative case.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »

Regarding this build, would I be able to to exchange the i7-7700K for the i5-7600K?

As far as the case is concerned, the featured Silverstone KL06B will not look tasteful in my room. Would you please consider advising me on an alternative case.

You can of course go with the Core i5-7600K. Because it uses less power and runs cooler, it is an easy substitution.

As for the case, if you provided some thoughts as to what you're looking for (color, tower shape or cube shape, windowed or solid side panel, vented or solid front panel), I can provide you with some option.

miiked

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 07:01:22 AM »

You can of course go with the Core i5-7600K. Because it uses less power and runs cooler, it is an easy substitution.

As for the case, if you provided some thoughts as to what you're looking for (color, tower shape or cube shape, windowed or solid side panel, vented or solid front panel), I can provide you with some option.

I may have seen it on this site, it was a Phantek Eclipse P400S silent edition, ATX mid-tower. Although it seems to be quite larger than I was hoping, it has simple and non-distracting designs. Would a case like this fit this build?

By the way, could we expect a March update on this build?  ;D I would like to begin purchasing the parts and have this build complete by the end if March. YAY!

Update: If the Phantek proves to be too large, would a cube case similar to Thermaltake Core V21 work? I am slowly learning what the different sizes mean and that not all parts are compatible in all cases. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:06:42 AM by miiked »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »

I may have seen it on this site, it was a Phantek Eclipse P400S silent edition, ATX mid-tower. Although it seems to be quite larger than I was hoping, it has simple and non-distracting designs. Would a case like this fit this build?

By the way, could we expect a March update on this build?  ;D I would like to begin purchasing the parts and have this build complete by the end if March. YAY!

Update: If the Phantek proves to be too large, would a cube case similar to Thermaltake Core V21 work? I am slowly learning what the different sizes mean and that not all parts are compatible in all cases. Thank you!

miiked,

The Phanteks Eclipse P400S would work fine, but as you noted, it's larger than the SilverStone KL06, primarily because it is an ATX case, rather than a micro ATX (mATX) case. What that means is that it can fit a 7-slot motherboard, not just the 4-slot motherboards that fit in an mATX case.

The Thermaltake Core V21 would work, but it's really pretty big for being mATX. If you'd like something with the understated appearance of the P400S, but the smaller size of the KL07, consider the SilverStone PS07 or the Corsair 350D.

An update to this guide will be coming soon - in fact, it will be up in a few minutes!