Author Topic: Need some help changing THE $2,000 PREMIUM GAMING PC BUILD  (Read 941 times)

Jannicuss

• View Profile
Need some help changing THE $2,000 PREMIUM GAMING PC BUILD
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:26:51 AM »
Hello guys,

First of all, thank you so much for such a great website. I have been trying to buy and build my first PC and techbuyersguru.com is a game changer for me.

So, as I mentioned in the subject I want to build the $2,000 premium gaming pc build. There are 2 things that I want to ask:

1) I have over $2,000 to spend on my PC but not $2,500, so I thought of changing the Noctua NH-U14S to the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler. At the same time, I was thinking of going with the EVGA Supernova P2 850W instead of the 750W. The reason behind these decisions brings me to my second question.

2) I can't fit the Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case in my table (it's too tall) so I wanted to ask your opinion on what other cases can I go with? And can the other case have the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler, as the place where I want to put my PC is covered from all sides by wood (hardwood table) except the front and I need as much cooling power as possible, so it won't overheat.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help changing THE $2,000 PREMIUM GAMING PC BUILD
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
Hello guys,

First of all, thank you so much for such a great website. I have been trying to buy and build my first PC and techbuyersguru.com is a game changer for me.

So, as I mentioned in the subject I want to build the $2,000 premium gaming pc build. There are 2 things that I want to ask:

1) I have over $2,000 to spend on my PC but not $2,500, so I thought of changing the Noctua NH-U14S to the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler. At the same time, I was thinking of going with the EVGA Supernova P2 850W instead of the 750W. The reason behind these decisions brings me to my second question.

2) I can't fit the Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case in my table (it's too tall) so I wanted to ask your opinion on what other cases can I go with? And can the other case have the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler, as the place where I want to put my PC is covered from all sides by wood (hardwood table) except the front and I need as much cooling power as possible, so it won't overheat.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Jannicuss!

It sounds like you want to place your PC inside a closed compartment. I would caution you that even with a fresh air intake, the cooling of the system will be highly compromised if there is no way for the hot air to exit the cabinet. A small vent cut out of the back of the cabinet would help. A liquid cooler is only somewhat beneficial in this situation, as the hot air will exhaust directly out of the PC case, but if it's trapped inside a cabinet, eventually it will begin to back up into the PC case.

With that being said, there are a few cases smaller than the Phanteks Enthoo Pro that can fit the Corsair H100i v2 Cooler. The big issue is that many cases that advertise compatibility can only fit it in front, which is a pretty terrible location from a thermal management standpoint. You want it installed on top or not at all, in my opinion. Therefore, the case I recommend is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, which has a 240mm cooler mount on top, and both front and rear 140mm fans. Note that this is case is just as wide as the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, so make sure to check that all dimensions work, not just height. Here they are: 235 mm (W) x 480 mm (H) x 500 mm (D).

In terms of the power supply, there is no advantage to choosing the EVGA Supernova P2 850W rather than the Supernova P2 750W in this build. The system can't possibly use anywhere near enough power to even stress the 750W unit. The only reason to consider the 850W unit is if you wanted to run dual video cards in the future, but in this situation, you really cannot place the system in a close cabinet, as the video cards will overheat.

Jannicuss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

After some contemplation, I have decided to go with the $2,000 Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC build, because of the lack of space in the cabinet. By the way, the cabinet does have 2 large holes in the back for ventilation.

I do have a couple of questions about this build as well:

1) Is the $2,000 Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC build just as powerful as the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC build?

2) Why are the motherboards different?

3) Should I purchase the Corsair LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB Memory instead of the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB), because I can afford to upgrade on this?

Looking forward to your reply.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:08:04 AM »
Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

After some contemplation, I have decided to go with the $2,000 Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC build, because of the lack of space in the cabinet. By the way, the cabinet does have 2 large holes in the back for ventilation.

I do have a couple of questions about this build as well:

1) Is the $2,000 Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC build just as powerful as the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC build?

2) Why are the motherboards different?

3) Should I purchase the Corsair LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB Memory instead of the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB), because I can afford to upgrade on this?

Looking forward to your reply.

Given that you're space-constrained, the $2,000 Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX is a great option. It will perform exactly like the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC, and even has the liquid cooler you wanted to use. The motherboard is different because you need to use a smaller motherboard in an ITX case. The only limitation is on expansion, as it will have no free PCIe or memory slots. That's the trade off.

In terms of memory, I guarantee you that upgrading from 16GB to 32GB will have absolutely zero effect on pure gaming performance. I recommend 32GB in dual-GPU systems, as they tend to use a bit more system memory during gaming, but a single-GPU system will never exceed 16GB. On the other hand, productivity apps like Photoshop are much heavier users of system memory. When I'm editing multiple high-resolution photos, I can use way beyond 8GB, sometimes upwards of 12GB. If I wanted to leave that application open and run a game, yes, I could run into memory limitations on a 16GB system, but games on their own can't possibly use that much memory.