Author Topic: The TBG Home Office Mini-ITX Build  (Read 17821 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Home Office Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
Hey everyone, this build has returned after a one-year hiatus! It turns out that mini-STX, which was set to replace mini-ITX, never took off, which means we're back to recommending that builders look at the ITX format for their compact PC needs!

perfectson

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
HI,

I just completed this build and have it for about 3 weeks.  I have the G4600 with the AsRock motherboard , 4 2x GB Ram and the Sata harddrive.  Basically it's the march build but i just switched out the pentium for the 4600 version.  It runs around 90-100F.  Is that a decent temperature?

secondly, I woke up this morning, and the system was unresponsive.  I turned it off and turned it on and it would not turn on.  So I opened it up and disconnect the USB and harddrives. It then booted to the BIOS.  I connected the harddrives and it booted up fine, then I connected the USB 3.0 and it worked fine as well.

So I'm not sure what the problem was, I thought maybe it got too hot over night but I can't explain the behavior.  Is there anything I can run (I just downloaded the intel extreme tuning utility) that can help me discover the issue?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:05:05 AM by perfectson »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 07:49:19 AM »
HI,

I just completed this build and have it for about 3 weeks.  I have the G4600 with the AsRock motherboard , 4 2x GB Ram and the Sata harddrive.  Basically it's the march build but i just switched out the pentium for the 4600 version.  It runs around 90-100F.  Is that a decent temperature?

secondly, I woke up this morning, and the system was unresponsive.  I turned it off and turned it on and it would not turn on.  So I opened it up and disconnect the USB and harddrives. It then booted to the BIOS.  I connected the harddrives and it booted up fine, then I connected the USB 3.0 and it worked fine as well.

So I'm not sure what the problem was, I thought maybe it got too hot over night but I can't explain the behavior.  Is there anything I can run (I just downloaded the intel extreme tuning utility) that can help me discover the issue?

90-100F is standard operating temperature and not remotely a cause for concern. If it were 90-100C, then that would be a problem suggesting the heatsink isn't mounted correctly.

Use Prime95 to check for instability. Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility is really more for overclocking.

Nwambe

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Hey Ari,

Saw your Mini ITX Build from April 9, and really wanted to give it a try - On PCPartPicker, though, there's a great big warning sign that the case won't support the power draw. Do I need to get an external power supply or anything for this system? The case is rated for 90 volts, but it seems like the components will exceed that.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
Hey Ari,

Saw your Mini ITX Build from April 9, and really wanted to give it a try - On PCPartPicker, though, there's a great big warning sign that the case won't support the power draw. Do I need to get an external power supply or anything for this system? The case is rated for 90 volts, but it seems like the components will exceed that.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Nwambe!

This is a good question, but there's no need to worry, the 90W power supply is more than capable of supporting this build. Unlike PCPartPicker, The Tech Buyer's Guru actually conducts product testing, so we know how PCs work in the real world. We don't base our build recommendations just on spec sheets. This PC will draw about 60W at full load, and in fact the power supply could support a much more powerful CPU, including some quad-core models.

If you decide to go ahead with the build, please feel free to share your experience!

perfectson

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »
HI,

90-100F is standard operating temperature and not remotely a cause for concern. If it were 90-100C, then that would be a problem suggesting the heatsink isn't mounted correctly.

Use Prime95 to check for instability. Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility is really more for overclocking.

thanks will check it out and if any issues arise, will be back.  Thanks for the tip

dlott

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
Hi Ari,

I was excited to see the June updates for this build! I am looking at upgrading the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and adding a second hard drive to (attempt to) future proof it.  Like Nwambe, I'm worried about the power supply not being sufficient, especially with the quad core and second hard drive.  How close am I going to be?  Is there another similar sized case with a beefier power supply you could recommend?  I noticed Antec also has the ISK 310-150 which has a 150W power supply.  Is that a good option?  I'd like to stay ~$100 and it seems like getting a standalone power supply will push me well past that.  Other options?  I'm looking to make this 4k streaming ready and I have a bad habit of having too many tabs open.   No need for a GPU.

Thanks,
David

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
Hi Ari,

I was excited to see the June updates for this build! I am looking at upgrading the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and adding a second hard drive to (attempt to) future proof it.  Like Nwambe, I'm worried about the power supply not being sufficient, especially with the quad core and second hard drive.  How close am I going to be?  Is there another similar sized case with a beefier power supply you could recommend?  I noticed Antec also has the ISK 310-150 which has a 150W power supply.  Is that a good option?  I'd like to stay ~$100 and it seems like getting a standalone power supply will push me well past that.  Other options?  I'm looking to make this 4k streaming ready and I have a bad habit of having too many tabs open.   No need for a GPU.

Thanks,
David

Welcome to the Forum, David!

Glad you like the update to the Home Office ITX Build. With Intel's latest line of CPUs and motherboards, it really does make sense to pick up the latest and greatest, because honestly, they are better.

But don't worry, no matter what you put in this system, you aren't going to damage the power supply running any of the Core i3 or Core i5 65W processors, even if you load it up with two hard drives, as laptop hard drives only use about a 1W at load! I definitely would not recommend the Antec ISK 310-150. It's completely different, and not nearly as good. The problem is the loud internal power supply. Yes, it's more powerful, but it has at terrible fan, and it's also very inefficient.

So just stick with the build as it's set out in the guide, and you'll be happy!