Author Topic: The TBG Home Office Mini-ITX Build  (Read 22877 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Home Office Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
Hey everyone, this build has returned after a one-year hiatus! It turns out that mini-STX, which was set to replace mini-ITX, never took off, which means we're back to recommending that builders look at the ITX format for their compact PC needs!

perfectson

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
HI,

I just completed this build and have it for about 3 weeks.  I have the G4600 with the AsRock motherboard , 4 2x GB Ram and the Sata harddrive.  Basically it's the march build but i just switched out the pentium for the 4600 version.  It runs around 90-100F.  Is that a decent temperature?

secondly, I woke up this morning, and the system was unresponsive.  I turned it off and turned it on and it would not turn on.  So I opened it up and disconnect the USB and harddrives. It then booted to the BIOS.  I connected the harddrives and it booted up fine, then I connected the USB 3.0 and it worked fine as well.

So I'm not sure what the problem was, I thought maybe it got too hot over night but I can't explain the behavior.  Is there anything I can run (I just downloaded the intel extreme tuning utility) that can help me discover the issue?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:05:05 AM by perfectson »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 07:49:19 AM »
HI,

I just completed this build and have it for about 3 weeks.  I have the G4600 with the AsRock motherboard , 4 2x GB Ram and the Sata harddrive.  Basically it's the march build but i just switched out the pentium for the 4600 version.  It runs around 90-100F.  Is that a decent temperature?

secondly, I woke up this morning, and the system was unresponsive.  I turned it off and turned it on and it would not turn on.  So I opened it up and disconnect the USB and harddrives. It then booted to the BIOS.  I connected the harddrives and it booted up fine, then I connected the USB 3.0 and it worked fine as well.

So I'm not sure what the problem was, I thought maybe it got too hot over night but I can't explain the behavior.  Is there anything I can run (I just downloaded the intel extreme tuning utility) that can help me discover the issue?

90-100F is standard operating temperature and not remotely a cause for concern. If it were 90-100C, then that would be a problem suggesting the heatsink isn't mounted correctly.

Use Prime95 to check for instability. Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility is really more for overclocking.

Nwambe

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Hey Ari,

Saw your Mini ITX Build from April 9, and really wanted to give it a try - On PCPartPicker, though, there's a great big warning sign that the case won't support the power draw. Do I need to get an external power supply or anything for this system? The case is rated for 90 volts, but it seems like the components will exceed that.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
Hey Ari,

Saw your Mini ITX Build from April 9, and really wanted to give it a try - On PCPartPicker, though, there's a great big warning sign that the case won't support the power draw. Do I need to get an external power supply or anything for this system? The case is rated for 90 volts, but it seems like the components will exceed that.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Nwambe!

This is a good question, but there's no need to worry, the 90W power supply is more than capable of supporting this build. Unlike PCPartPicker, The Tech Buyer's Guru actually conducts product testing, so we know how PCs work in the real world. We don't base our build recommendations just on spec sheets. This PC will draw about 60W at full load, and in fact the power supply could support a much more powerful CPU, including some quad-core models.

If you decide to go ahead with the build, please feel free to share your experience!

perfectson

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »
HI,

90-100F is standard operating temperature and not remotely a cause for concern. If it were 90-100C, then that would be a problem suggesting the heatsink isn't mounted correctly.

Use Prime95 to check for instability. Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility is really more for overclocking.

thanks will check it out and if any issues arise, will be back.  Thanks for the tip

dlott

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
Hi Ari,

I was excited to see the June updates for this build! I am looking at upgrading the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and adding a second hard drive to (attempt to) future proof it.  Like Nwambe, I'm worried about the power supply not being sufficient, especially with the quad core and second hard drive.  How close am I going to be?  Is there another similar sized case with a beefier power supply you could recommend?  I noticed Antec also has the ISK 310-150 which has a 150W power supply.  Is that a good option?  I'd like to stay ~$100 and it seems like getting a standalone power supply will push me well past that.  Other options?  I'm looking to make this 4k streaming ready and I have a bad habit of having too many tabs open.   No need for a GPU.

Thanks,
David

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
Hi Ari,

I was excited to see the June updates for this build! I am looking at upgrading the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and adding a second hard drive to (attempt to) future proof it.  Like Nwambe, I'm worried about the power supply not being sufficient, especially with the quad core and second hard drive.  How close am I going to be?  Is there another similar sized case with a beefier power supply you could recommend?  I noticed Antec also has the ISK 310-150 which has a 150W power supply.  Is that a good option?  I'd like to stay ~$100 and it seems like getting a standalone power supply will push me well past that.  Other options?  I'm looking to make this 4k streaming ready and I have a bad habit of having too many tabs open.   No need for a GPU.

Thanks,
David

Welcome to the Forum, David!

Glad you like the update to the Home Office ITX Build. With Intel's latest line of CPUs and motherboards, it really does make sense to pick up the latest and greatest, because honestly, they are better.

But don't worry, no matter what you put in this system, you aren't going to damage the power supply running any of the Core i3 or Core i5 65W processors, even if you load it up with two hard drives, as laptop hard drives only use about a 1W at load! I definitely would not recommend the Antec ISK 310-150. It's completely different, and not nearly as good. The problem is the loud internal power supply. Yes, it's more powerful, but it has at terrible fan, and it's also very inefficient.

So just stick with the build as it's set out in the guide, and you'll be happy!

dlott

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
Hi Ari,

I finally got all the pieces and sat down to put it all together today.  I'm running into a problem where the SSD isn't showing up.

I have the upgraded Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT500MX500SSD4 and GIGABYTE H370N WIFI (LGA1151/Intel/H270/Mini ITX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type C Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) you recommended. 

Initially I installed the SSD on the back M.2 slot, which reading the fine print is PCIe only (might be a useful note in the guide): 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370N-WIFI-rev-10#sp
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_32G)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M.2)*
* The connector is on the back of the motherboard.

But when I moved it to the front slot it's still not showing up. The LED on the drive itself does come on when I boot.  My only guess is the drive itself is bad?  Any other suggestions besides try to return it and get a new one?

Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:42:37 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
Hi Ari,

I finally got all the pieces and sat down to put it all together today.  I'm running into a problem where the SSD isn't showing up.

I have the upgraded Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT500MX500SSD4 and GIGABYTE H370N WIFI (LGA1151/Intel/H270/Mini ITX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type C Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) you recommended. 

Initially I installed the SSD on the back M.2 slot, which reading the fine print is PCIe only (might be a useful note in the guide): 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370N-WIFI-rev-10#sp
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_32G)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M.2)*
* The connector is on the back of the motherboard.

But when I moved it to the front slot it's still not showing up. The LED on the drive itself does come on when I boot.  My only guess is the drive itself is bad?  Any other suggestions besides try to return it and get a new one?

Thanks,
David

This almost certainly is not caused by a faulty SSD. What do you mean it's not showing up? You don't see it listed in your drives in the UEFI? You mention that the LED doesn't turn on, but it doesn't actually have an LED.

I would suggest you review all the storage- and boot-related options in the UEFI to see if you can get it to recognize the SSD. Have you tried booting from the Windows USB drive and getting to the drive installation step? That would definitely show whether the system can see the drive.

dlott

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
Hey Ari,

Yes, I mean the drive does not show up in UEFI.  I've fiddled with all the options that I can to get it to show up.  I have a magnetic drive as well that does show up - and it was the only drive Windows could see, which clued me in that something was amiss.

On the SSD, the LED DOES come on, here's a marked up version that sometimes loads.  If it doesn't, it's the main picture on Amazon, on the left edge the third dot thing, just above the screw cut out.  Though the Amazon picture looks like a green LED and mine is yellow.
http://tinypic.com/r/16bmr77/9

I poked around more on https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370N-WIFI-rev-10#support-doc and they list the MX200 and MX300.  Maybe they just don't support the MX500?  Another weird thing I noticed is there are 6 SATA plugs on the motherboard, but in UEFI it lists SATA2 (my magnetic drive), and SATA3/4/5 as Not Installed.  What about 1 and 6?

Maybe it's a problem with the motherboard?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2018, 06:15:48 PM »
The MX500 is supported by the motherboard - it's just newer than the board, which is why it isn't listed. The board will actually support any SATA M.2 drive.

OK, if a light is turning on, it clearly has power. What I'd suggest is unplugging the hard drive and seeing if the system will recognize the M.2 drive at that point. There could be an overlap between the SATA port you're using and the M.2 slot. There are limited SATA resources available on the chipset. If this works, just move the hard drive to another port.

If this doesn't work, you could have either a motherboard or SSD issue, and it will be pretty hard to tell which one it is. Replacing the SSD is obviously easier.

RalphP

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had tried this Mini-ITX PC with Linux, particularly one of the debian distributions like Mint or Ubuntu?  I am thinking about using this to replace a 5 year old acer aspire laptop that is used as a desktop almost all of the time.

There should be absolutely no problem, as I have run Linux Mint on a number of different laptops and desktops including ones by HP, Acer, Asus, and even an old Chromebook.  BUT, I thought that I would check before I spent $500 on parts. 

In particular, I will run LM 19 (see
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-linux-mint-desktop-continues-to-lead-the-rest/ )

save about $120, and be able to do almost anything that one can do with windows 10.

Thanks,
Ralph
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:16:22 PM by RalphP »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had tried this Mini-ITX PC with Linux, particularly one of the debian distributions like Mint or Ubuntu?  I am thinking about using this to replace a 5 year old acer aspire laptop that is used as a desktop almost all of the time.

There should be absolutely no problem, as I have run Linux Mint on a number of different laptops and desktops including ones by HP, Acer, Asus, and even an old Chromebook.  BUT, I thought that I would check before I spent $500 on parts. 

In particular, I will run LM 19 (see
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-linux-mint-desktop-continues-to-lead-the-rest/ )

save about $120, and be able to do almost anything that one can do with windows 10.

Thanks,
Ralph

Hello Ralph, and welcome to the forum!

I tried running Ubuntu on a similar build, and the one issue I had was getting the onboard WiFi to be recognized. That may require a specific driver from the motherboard vendor that isn't available for Linux. A potential workaround would be to purchase an external WiFi adapter with known usable Linux drivers. Everything else should work fine under Linux.

RalphP

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. 

A few questions about the wifi problem.

Was this try recent?  What version of ubuntu?  The reason that I ask is that later linux kernels may have the appropriate driver for your wifi.  I think that LM19 has the Linux kernel 4.15.0-20.  Drivers are packaged with the kernel.  You can "add" drivers but it is rarely needed.

BTW, you can get the latest Linux Mint at https://linuxmint.com/.  Download time for me is ~~10 minutes, then write to a 4GB or larger USB stick, and try it WITHOUT affecting your current install.  It might be an interesting project for you (or not)
See:
https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084                        to write to USB stick
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-linux-mint-desktop-continues-to-lead-the-rest/        general info

It looks like Intel linux drivers are available for wifi
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Do you know what the chipset is for the wifi that you were using in your ubuntu test?  I have not figured it out from amazon for your "base"  motherboard. It may be an Intel AC 9560?

This is probably not a problem, and probably not worth your time "putzing around" with it, but it might be interesting?

Thanks!
Ralph

NOTE: I was able to get everything working (including wifI) on all of these laptops and desktops using Linux Mint.  They may not have been "bleeding edge" tech, though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:20:13 PM by RalphP »