Author Topic: New SSD, moving windows with recovery disk?  (Read 4632 times)

Secret

• View Profile
New SSD, moving windows with recovery disk?
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:12:15 AM »
I've setup that new Dell i7559 and so far I'm really liking it, once everything is transferred and proper I'll post some pics and thoughts about it for sure.  It came with the 1TB hdd and 8GB of "flash memory"; I'm not sure where that last part is, on the HDD or something soldered to the board?

I ordered a 240GB OCZ SSD that I'll be putting in the second m2 slot.  What I want to do is have windows loaded on that, along with most of my apps.  I see how to make a recovery disk in windows with a usb drive, but I'm not sure how this is going to work if I wipe the HDD clean and install on the ssd.  There wasn't much bloatware on it but there is 4 partitions.  I'm worried that if I wipe that drive the recovery usb won't work.  Will it put a full install of windows on the usb?  There's no serial number that came with the computer so I'm guessing windows tracks it another way.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New SSD, moving windows with recovery disk?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:00:28 AM »
Glad to hear you're liking your new laptop!

With Windows 10, OEMs no longer include a disc or even a sticker with your Windows license on it. The 25-character product ID is now stored onboard the PC itself. This is so the key can't be easily stolen and re-used. As long as you've connected to the Internet on your PC once, it will have "phoned home" to Microsoft to authenticate the license. Under the control panel Settings/Update & Recovery/Activation, confirm that your copy of Windows 10 is activated.

While backup and recovery is one way to move an OS installation, it's only ideal if you have lots of files and apps that you want to keep. In this case, you actually just want the OS, I'm assuming, so I wouldn't bother with it. It's slow and moves bloatware you may not want.

What you can instead do is download the Windows 10 ISO to a flash drive, and boot your laptop off of it. You will then have the option to do a clean install. It will be able to detect your product key automatically. Just skip the step where it asks you to type it in (select "I don't have a product key").

The hard drive you have in your laptop is very likely the Seagate 1TB solid-state hybrid drive, which I reviewed here.It has 8GB of onboard solid-state cache, and it's actually a pretty effective setup for boosting hard drive speeds. That being said, it is not the same as using a pure SSD. By the way, the four partitions on the drive are totally normal - Windows 10 will always create those four partitions on any OS drive.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
Ok so when I boot with that iso file will there be a way to access a disk utility that will allow me to clear the hdd?  I thought it used to be f8 during startup where you could enter disk utility/boot from the bios.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:51:01 AM »
Ok so when I boot with that iso file will there be a way to access a disk utility that will allow me to clear the hdd?  I thought it used to be f8 during startup where you could enter disk utility/boot from the bios.

Actually, the Windows install doesn't format the hard drive unless you ask it to, and I'd hold off on that step for now as a precaution. F8 is the boot menu, it will allow you to select which drive you want to boot from, and you'll choose the USB drive to get to the installer.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
But will it be ok to install windows on the ssd when there's already a copy of windows on the hdd?  If so, what you're saying is to download the iso, install it on the ssd, and then once it's installed and running using disk utility to wipe the hdd?

I really appreciate the help, trying to track down a straight answer through google is like trying to find jaws in a sharknado.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:34:14 AM by Secret »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
But will it be ok to install windows on the ssd when there's already a copy of windows on the hdd?  If so, what you're saying is to download the iso, install it on the ssd, and then once it's installed and running using disk utility to wipe the hdd?

I really appreciate the help, trying to track down a straight answer through google is like trying to find jaws in a sharknado.

Yes, you can have two drives with Windows on them, and yes, you'd format the hard drive once you have the new SSD fully operational. The laptop is the product that is licensed, not the drive, so Microsoft won't care that another drive on the system has the same license (if it even detects it, which it probably cannot unless you boot from it).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:58:21 PM by Ari Altman »

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
So I did all that, got ready to put the new ssd in, opened the back, realized it's a M2 slot and not a sata port...  Guess I'll be sending that Toshiba drive back; do you have any recommendations on M2 drives?

I ordered a Crucial m300 m.2, same price as the OCZ with a little more storage.  Guess I'll get the ball rolling on Monday
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:18:07 PM by Secret »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
The Crucial MX300 275GB is a great value. The other good options would have been the Samsung 850 Evo and the SanDisk X400. The Samsung is definitely the fastest. The MX300 is surprisingly affordable.

If you originally got an mSATA drive, then yes, that wouldn't work. It's not a current standard. All new PCs will use M.2.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:28:20 PM by Ari Altman »

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:40 PM »
I installed that crucial ssd today, haven't done any work with this yet but when I do I'll have to compare it to the OWC ssds I was using.  Boot was noticeably quicker, it's hard to compare coming from OSX, not really apples to apples.

Getting a mail client was a pita.  My emails hosted through my private domains so Windows Mail was useless; trying to specify what folders I wanted certain messages to go to was impossible.  Spent most of the day trying emclient, clawsmail, mailbird, couldn't even get windows live to work, luckily Opera is still around so that solved my problems.

BTW that hard drive was a Toshiba MQ02ABD100H, it'll be nice having that extra TB of space to take with.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »
Great to hear you're up and running. How did your accomplish the reinstall of Windows on the SSD? Was the Windows license automatically identified once you logged on? Just want to make sure I gave you good advice.

Unfortunately, I can't help much with email clients, other than to say I've always had a lot of trouble migrating them to new PCs.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 09:06:55 AM »
Yes I used the iso from the link you provided and it automatically registered.  During startup it automatically came up asking which hard drive I wanted to boot from.  Once booted off the ssd I just reformatted the other drive.  One cool thing was it kept the efi system and recovery partitions on the hdd where they were originally.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
Yes I used the iso from the link you provided and it automatically registered.  During startup it automatically came up asking which hard drive I wanted to boot from.  Once booted off the ssd I just reformatted the other drive.  One cool thing was it kept the efi system and recovery partitions on the hdd where they were originally.

Awesome! As much as it's slightly annoying that we no longer get physical media or even a Windows license code, this new system is actually a lot more user friendly. No DVD or code to lose, plus easy upgrades of drives, which has always been a #1 priority for OEM buyers.