Author Topic: TBG's Low-Profile CPU Cooler Shootout  (Read 7575 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's Low-Profile CPU Cooler Shootout
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
Comments or questions about TBG's Low-Profile CPU Cooler Shootout? Post them here!

waleh

• View Profile
6600k OC/cooler
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:52:50 AM »
Hello everyone,

Ari recently posted an article talking about low profile CPU coolers. I want to switch my AXP-100 to a Big Shuriken B2 or AR06 since it touches my wifi port. I saw that the AR06 had pretty good performance but can anyone comment on the shuriken? Also, I have a SG13 case and I want to flip the CPU fan so that it pulls air up in my PSU which is located right above my cooler. This provides good temps on my AXP100 so I wanted to try it out with the new cooler.

Second,
I would like to OC my 6600k to around 4.4 like Ari did in the CPU cooler review. Do I just have to change the multiplier (sync all cores) to 44 and change the voltage to 1.24ish? Do I need to play around with any other settings? Also, by doing this am I just changing the boost clock or will my CPU idle at 4.4? Thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:49:02 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 6600k OC/cooler
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
waleh - flipping the CPU fan on your cooler is a great idea. It then works in tandem with your power supply exhaust fan.

Just so you know, the Reeven Steropes, which was tested in the TBG Low-Profile Shootout, is an upgraded Scythe Big Shuriken, despite the lower price. They use the exact same fan (Reeven has borrowed this from Scythe), which unfortunately is slightly compromised in terms of sound quality due to the slim bearing it requires. The main difference is that the Steropes has a much larger, heavier heatsink. The Big Shuriken will likely perform right in between the Steropes and the Reeven Brontes, which was also in the roundup. Frankly, the Big Shuriken needs an update. It's popular because it's old and everyone's familiar with it. I have nothing against Scythe (I still use their 120mm fans in many builds), but their coolers are long in the tooth.

The problem with the Steropes is that Reeven made it too low-profile. It interferes with any RAM heatsinks that extend beyond the standard RAM module. It also extends beyond the motherboard's top edge, which may cause it to run into the side panel of your case.

I'd seriously recommend the SilverStone AR06. It outperforms the Thermalright AXP-100 you have for less money, while presenting none of the motherboard compatibility issues.

In terms of overclocking, if you have a good chip (i.e., you won the silicon lottery), then you can just set the multipler to sync all cores to 44 and the motherboard will select a stable voltage for you. If it's not stable, you'll have to manually increase it using the offset or adaptive function. Either way it will drop down to a lower voltage at idle. If you use an offset, it will affect this voltage as well, but it will still use much lower power than at load.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Ari. The reveen is interesting but like you said, I'll likely run into compatibility issues with the RAM as I'm using corsair venegence LPX. So, you prefer the AR06 over the shuriken? I feel like the shuriken is a better performer though, no? If you could replace the fan on the shuriken what would it be with? Second, if I got the AR06, can I flip the fan around? Finally, the shuriken is actually cheaper on Amazon than the AR06!

One final point, is it even worth OC'ing my CPU? As you know, it boosts to 3.9 so will there we a noticeable difference between 3.9 and let's say 4.2-4.4 ghz? Again, I'm specifically talking about a 1070 and BF1 in terms of what I'm using the CPU for. I've been reading that OC'ing the GPU might be more beneficial. What do you think? I game on a 1080p 144 hz panel.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:39:21 PM by waleh »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:19:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Ari. The reveen is interesting but like you said, I'll likely run into compatibility issues with the RAM as I'm using corsair venegence LPX. So, you prefer the AR06 over the shuriken? I feel like the shuriken is a better performer though, no? If you could replace the fan on the shuriken what would it be with? Second, if I got the AR06, can I flip the fan around? Finally, the shuriken is actually cheaper on Amazon than the AR06!

One final point, is it even worth OC'ing my CPU? As you know, it boosts to 3.9 so will there we a noticeable difference between 3.9 and let's say 4.2-4.4 ghz? Again, I'm specifically talking about a 1070 and BF1 in terms of what I'm using the CPU for. I've been reading that OC'ing the GPU might be more beneficial. What do you think? I game on a 1080p 144 hz panel.

Good point - I forgot that Amazon carried Scythe, and indeed the Scythe Big Shuriken is just $38 on Amazon. As for whether it will significantly outperform the SilverStone AR06? I highly doubt it. It's just not equipped to. Its ultra-thin fan may look "big," but it doesn't move that much air. And it's definitely louder than the AR06's. A standard 25mm-thick 120mm fan would be much better than the 12mm-thick fan on the Scythe, but you don't have the headroom with your SG13, which can only fit 61mm coolers, and the Scythe is 58mm, the same height as the AR06.

The reason I like the AR06 is that it's quiet, more than powerful enough for the 6600K, and will easily fit. And yes, you can easily flip the orientation of the fan on the AR06. It's held on with four screws, rather than clips, but flipping it would be no problem.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:11:30 PM by Ari Altman »

pakmon22

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Low-Profile CPU Cooler Shootout
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »
Ari,

We repeated the same frustrating mis-step with the Silverstone nt06 Pro! I installed it once, then had to take the bracket back off and put the fan on. It was horrible. I even cut my fingers on the radiator a few times trying to finagle the bracket back on. Their directions were hardly passable. I had to watch a youtuber in order to figure out the illustration.

And it didn't even score the best?...wow.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
Ari,

We repeated the same frustrating mis-step with the Silverstone nt06 Pro! I installed it once, then had to take the bracket back off and put the fan on. It was horrible. I even cut my fingers on the radiator a few times trying to finagle the bracket back on. Their directions were hardly passable. I had to watch a youtuber in order to figure out the illustration.

And it didn't even score the best?...wow.

Well, I'm just sorry I didn't have this review up in time too save you that pain (literally).

It's actually a great heatsink, but the install process is just terrible. SilverStone is considering releasing an update, but there's not much demand for this cooler form factor, so I doubt it will make it to market.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »
waleh - because some good points came up about the various cooler options out there for small form factor PCs, I'm going to merge this thread with the discussion on the Low-Profile Cooler Shootout.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:50:12 PM by Ari Altman »

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
Just a little update. I got my GTX 1070 FE. I OC'd it to 210 Mhz on the core clock and 600 Mhz on the memory without touching voltage but I did max out power limit (112%). I also decided to just stick with my AXP-100 because I didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the cooler since it is tedious in a tiny case like the SG13. So, I just let the cooler make slight contact with the WiFi I/O port. It's been running like that for a year so far. Also, I decided to OC my 6600k for the first time and I got it to 4.3 Ghz on auto voltage. I tested it overnight using x264 (A modified version from overclock.net) and it was stable! I averaged around 68 degrees in this stress heavy application but during gaming it's usually high 50's or low 60's.

So far, everything is running great but I do see that my GPU utilization is not 99% many times probably because of the 6600k, even though it has been overclocked. A 6700k would probably alleviate this bottleneck at lower resolutions or jumping up to a higher resolution like 1440p (I game at 1080p 144 hz). Nonetheless, the 1070 is a great GPU and newer titles that stress the GPU more should result in higher GPU usage.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:00:36 PM by waleh »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »
That's great news, waleh. Seems like your heatsink is making good contact with the CPU, because otherwise your temperature would be much higher.

What games are you seeing significantly less than 99% utilization? I agree that at 1080p/144Hz, you're going to see cpu bottlenecks, because you basically have too much GPU power. But look at that as a good thing, not a bad thing. People get worked up about CPU bottlenecks, but that's a lot better than a GPU bottleneck, which is the only other possibility. Something must always be the limiting factor!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:08:26 PM by Ari Altman »

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »
Yeah I agree with you. I've seen it in Bf4 and GTA5. Basically, CPU heavy games. I mainly upgraded for BF1 as I want to try and maintain a 100 minimum FPS. Now, even though the GPU isn't benign fully utilized, the FPS Is still fairly high (above 100). Do you know where to get the standard edition of BF1 for the best price?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »
I wish I knew where you could get BF1 at a discount. I think EA is pretty confident that it will sell well, so all pre-orders I've seen have been at full price.

By the way, I think you'll be more than happy with the performance of the game with your setup.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 09:01:32 AM »
Haha okay! Just a question for you. How does your fan curve look for your 1070 FE? I'm trying to find the best fan curve so that it's quiet on idle and ramps up during gaming. I hear that 1 degrees = 1% fan speed is common for FE so 50 degrees = 50% fan speed. How does yours look? My GPU clock remains at 1500 on idle so the temperatures are higher (44ish) resulting in a higher fan speed. Is there a way to keep idle clocks low? I have it set to maximum performance in the nvidia control panel.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
Haha okay! Just a question for you. How does your fan curve look for your 1070 FE? I'm trying to find the best fan curve so that it's quiet on idle and ramps up during gaming. I hear that 1 degrees = 1% fan speed is common for FE so 50 degrees = 50% fan speed. How does yours look? My GPU clock remains at 1500 on idle so the temperatures are higher (44ish) resulting in a higher fan speed. Is there a way to keep idle clocks low? I have it set to maximum performance in the nvidia control panel.

I actually do not recommend that fan profile. It's extremely aggressive. It might make sense once the GPU temperature is above 70C, but not below that. It would just be far too loud, and entirely unnecessary. I have my Asus GeForce GTX 1070 FE set at the minimum fan through 60C, and then slowly ramp it up until it hits 75C (going from minimum to 50%), and then have a straight line from 75C to 85C, at which point it would be at 100%.

Another tip: to eliminate constant acceleration and deceleration of the fan at lower temps, use a stepwise graph, not a straight line. So bump it up 10% at 60C, another 10% at 65C, and another 10% at 70C.

By the way, I recommend the same thing for CPUs coolers: minimum until about 55C (as CPUs have a lower heat tolerance), and then ramp it up with a very similar profile as the one described above.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 10:27:56 AM »
Do you have a picture of this fan curve? It would be easier for me to see it visually. If you had one for the CPU too that would be great.