Author Topic: The TBG Home Theater PC Build  (Read 51536 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Home Theater PC Build
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2018, 07:49:45 AM »
Hello Ari,

I have been using the home theater build for a couple of months now and it really works great. I am using the system to organize, convert, and burn many years of home movies to blue ray. The system has a 1050 video card and would upgrading to a 1070 video card help to reduce conversion/rendering times? If so which version of video card would you recommend?

I did increase the RAM to 32 GB.

Thanks,
Frank

FrankC - great to hear the build is working out for you!

If you are converting from VHS, you are probably being limited by the read speed of the VHS player itself. That was certainly the case when I did conversions of VHS tapes. To know whether a component within your PC is limiting you, run task manager in the background (accessible by pressing control-alt-delete) and watch the performance tab to see if any of the components are hitting 100% load.

My guess is that this conversion program is not taxing the video card much, if at all. The bottleneck is either in the read speed of the original media, or in the CPU.

FrankC

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2018, 03:09:34 AM »
Hello Ari,

Video encode is 99%, cpu is 43%, memory is 17% , converting from .ts to mp4 H.264 full HD 1080P using Movavi video suite converter. What is cool about the software is that it uses the video card to help convert to different formats. In addition to converting old VHS media to DVD I am using it to edit and convert saved channel master DVR+ recordings.

Would a 1070 card improve the time? does it offer 4K output? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
Frank

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »
Hello Ari,

Video encode is 99%, cpu is 43%, memory is 17% , converting from .ts to mp4 H.264 full HD 1080P using Movavi video suite converter. What is cool about the software is that it uses the video card to help convert to different formats. In addition to converting old VHS media to DVD I am using it to edit and convert saved channel master DVR+ recordings.

Would a 1070 card improve the time? does it offer 4K output? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
Frank

Frank - do you mean that the GPU is listed as running at 100% in Windows Task Manager? You referred to it as "video encode". If so, you could definitely use a more powerful GPU! Be aware that video encoding speed doesn't scale quite as well as gaming speed. So while a GTX 1070 might be 4x faster at gaming and nearly 4x more expensive than a GTX 1050, it won't be 4x faster at video encode. There are definitely some diminishing returns in that regard.

With that said, a few GTX 1070 models have dropped in price recently, and right now, the very best deal is on the Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Mini. It's really the perfect 1070 model for an HTPC because it's compact, yet still has dual fans and a zero-fan mode for quiet operation at idle. Many 1070 models would be too big to fit in your system, and a few will lack that zero-fan mode. They all support HDMI 2.0.

Forceflow

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »
So, I finally did it and built the HTPC. Went with the still cheaper version though, all I really want to do with that thing is to use Kodi/Netflix/BluRays to use my projector. So I don't need the extra storage space (all on my NAS) and don't really need the additional CPU power. All in all it went down for just 450.

I have one question though, I already had an old BluRay drive which I wanted to install. Unfortunately it doesn't fit, now I though the size was normed so I was wondering if the combination of the ML03B  with the SSR-450fm with an optical drive can work at all. Problem is that both the power outlet on the power supply and the power inlet on the drive is too large. If I try to slide the drive all the way in it is blocked by both power blocks and it sticks out by about half a cm. (Which of course means I cannot screw it in) I guess I can get it to work, but in case a newer drive will actually work I might think about getting it after all.

Many thanks for helping me out so much already and besides the little issue with the drive I am so far VERY happy with the HTPC. (Though so far it's still downloading and installing the latest windows updates... so I am guessing it's a few more hours until I can move it to the living room ;) )

[edit]Did some digging, turns out the size is not really fixed and mine is just so old that it's a lot longer than modern drives. Mine is 18.5 cm long were newer drives are most often 17cm or even shorter. So I guess I have to decide if I want to stick with it sticking out a bit or getting a new one.[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:18:15 AM by Forceflow »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
So, I finally did it and built the HTPC. Went with the still cheaper version though, all I really want to do with that thing is to use Kodi/Netflix/BluRays to use my projector. So I don't need the extra storage space (all on my NAS) and don't really need the additional CPU power. All in all it went down for just 450.

I have one question though, I already had an old BluRay drive which I wanted to install. Unfortunately it doesn't fit, now I though the size was normed so I was wondering if the combination of the ML03B  with the SSR-450fm with an optical drive can work at all. Problem is that both the power outlet on the power supply and the power inlet on the drive is too large. If I try to slide the drive all the way in it is blocked by both power blocks and it sticks out by about half a cm. (Which of course means I cannot screw it in) I guess I can get it to work, but in case a newer drive will actually work I might think about getting it after all.

Many thanks for helping me out so much already and besides the little issue with the drive I am so far VERY happy with the HTPC. (Though so far it's still downloading and installing the latest windows updates... so I am guessing it's a few more hours until I can move it to the living room ;) )

[edit]Did some digging, turns out the size is not really fixed and mine is just so old that it's a lot longer than modern drives. Mine is 18.5 cm long were newer drives are most often 17cm or even shorter. So I guess I have to decide if I want to stick with it sticking out a bit or getting a new one.[/edit]

Many Blu-Ray drives are actually much larger than DVD drives, particularly older models. The 450FM power supply is the shortest ATX power supply available, so that's not the issue. The ML03 case is certainly small, but standard DVD drives do indeed fit. You may want to investigate whether there are new Blu-Ray drives available that are smaller than the one you have. Another issue that may be involved is that the ML03 was originally designed to use non-modular power supplies, which created a big cable mess, but had only a single location where all cables exited the PSU's case. This made it easier for case designer's to anticipate versus newer modular designs that have a large array of ports.

Forceflow

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:03 AM »
Well, I got a newer BluRay drive and what do you know it fits nicely. (Still a tight fit, but my old drive was just really long)
So far I am pretty happy, though overall the whole thing could be a bit more quiet.

My thinking as of now is to get a second Arctic F8 Silent and then tune them to both run really slow. (maybe 600 rpm) that should hopefully provide enough airflow into the case. In addition to that I am thinking of getting some insulation mats (not sure if this is the right word) to make sure the case is really tight. I want to close up all holes on the sides doing that. (Minus where the Arctics are of course.) Do you think that is going to work or will that impede airflow too much?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2018, 09:02:58 AM »
Well, I got a newer BluRay drive and what do you know it fits nicely. (Still a tight fit, but my old drive was just really long)
So far I am pretty happy, though overall the whole thing could be a bit more quiet.

My thinking as of now is to get a second Arctic F8 Silent and then tune them to both run really slow. (maybe 600 rpm) that should hopefully provide enough airflow into the case. In addition to that I am thinking of getting some insulation mats (not sure if this is the right word) to make sure the case is really tight. I want to close up all holes on the sides doing that. (Minus where the Arctics are of course.) Do you think that is going to work or will that impede airflow too much?

I'm glad to hear that the new BluRay drive fit. The original ones were indeed very large, perhaps even technically "out of spec" in terms of length.

To help you with noise, I'd like to see a full list of everything you have in the system. You can try turning down the Arctic fan right now to see if that's the source of the noise (or just unplug in temporarily to be sure. My guess is that the issue is the CPU cooler, however, and getting a new one would be more beneficial than adding acoustic padding, especially in a small case that has very little space for such padding.

Forceflow

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »

I'm glad to hear that the new BluRay drive fit. The original ones were indeed very large, perhaps even technically "out of spec" in terms of length.

To help you with noise, I'd like to see a full list of everything you have in the system. You can try turning down the Arctic fan right now to see if that's the source of the noise (or just unplug in temporarily to be sure. My guess is that the issue is the CPU cooler, however, and getting a new one would be more beneficial than adding acoustic padding, especially in a small case that has very little space for such padding.

This is what I got:
SilverStone SST-ML03B
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M AM4
AMD Ryzen TM 3 2200G
Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D26BFSEK 8GB (you link to the wrong RAM on the German Amazon btw. instead of the 2x4GB it links to the 1x8GB, that's why I only have the single module right now)
Seasonic SS ssr-450fm
Crucial MX500 CT250MX500SSD4 250 GB
Arctic F8 Silent
LG CH12NS40 Blu-Ray ROM

Overall it is fairly quiet and the culprit does appear to be the Arctic fan and the CPU fan right now. After tuning the fan control to a lower speed the noise is mostly gone. That's why I figured I could get another Arctic 8 to make sure that there is enough air coming in. Big issue right now is that the while thing is inside my lowboard under the PC and overall it is a tight fit. Right now it's winter time with a nice temperature in the living room. Come summer I see that as being a bigger issue.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »
Thanks for bringing the RAM link issue to my attention. I have fixed it.

Getting a second Arctic F8 fan and running both at low speed is a very good solution, but you may not need it at all if the system temperatures are low enough right now. You can monitor them with the app "HW Monitor."

In the long run, you'll want to upgrade to a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 if you want a truly silent system. The NH-L9a is truly silent under most loads.

Forceflow

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »

Getting a second Arctic F8 fan and running both at low speed is a very good solution, but you may not need it at all if the system temperatures are low enough right now. You can monitor them with the app "HW Monitor."

In the long run, you'll want to upgrade to a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 if you want a truly silent system. The NH-L9a is truly silent under most loads.

Hi, I added the second Artic cooler into the case and it does indeed help. (I also tuned the fan speeds as well, the default caused the fans to spin up way too soon for my taste) Overall I do think I need an upgrade to the CPU fan for sure though. I have the feeling that one is the main culprit for the whining sound I hear.

Do you have an alternative to the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 that does NOT require to disassemble the whole build however? Taking out everything again isn't too much work, but I am really not a fan of how the board needs to be put upside down and on top of the heatsink to assemble everything. Honestly that is a really strange design decision if you ask me.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »

Hi, I added the second Artic cooler into the case and it does indeed help. (I also tuned the fan speeds as well, the default caused the fans to spin up way too soon for my taste) Overall I do think I need an upgrade to the CPU fan for sure though. I have the feeling that one is the main culprit for the whining sound I hear.

Do you have an alternative to the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 that does NOT require to disassemble the whole build however? Taking out everything again isn't too much work, but I am really not a fan of how the board needs to be put upside down and on top of the heatsink to assemble everything. Honestly that is a really strange design decision if you ask me.

Glad you're making progress, Forceflow!

So, with an HTPC case, you do need to remove the motherboard from the case to install many CPU coolers. But if a CPU cooler uses the default AMD bracket, you can avoid that step. Noctua coolers always require the use of a Noctua bracket, but one slim AM4-compatible option that doesn't is the SilverStone KR01. Now, to be clear, just replacing the stock AMD cooler without also tuning the KR01 won't get you lower noise levels. You'll need to set it at low RPMs (it starts at 800RPM and goes up to 3,000RPM) to ensure that it's quieter than the AMD cooler. You can drop the speed of the SilverStone fan (or any fan) by about another 15% using the Noctua NA-SRC7 Low-Noise Adapter. The three-pack linked to here is a great deal, and worth picking up just to have handy for other fans in a PC build.

Forceflow

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2019, 01:11:05 AM »
Mhm... guess I have to think about that then. While I still think the way the Noctua is installed is not optimal it's a one-time thing and I might as well go with the best.

I am kinda curious about the Low-Noise Adapters. What exactly are those? Do they simply just limit the amount of current going through the wire and as such limit the max speed of the fan? That seems kind of counter-productive as long as you can regulate the fan speed electronically. (I mean if the thing does overheat I do want all available power to get the system cooled down as fast as possible)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2019, 06:03:16 AM »
Mhm... guess I have to think about that then. While I still think the way the Noctua is installed is not optimal it's a one-time thing and I might as well go with the best.

I am kinda curious about the Low-Noise Adapters. What exactly are those? Do they simply just limit the amount of current going through the wire and as such limit the max speed of the fan? That seems kind of counter-productive as long as you can regulate the fan speed electronically. (I mean if the thing does overheat I do want all available power to get the system cooled down as fast as possible)

Yes, it's a voltage limiter. The reason it's ok to use in your system is that your CPU will never generate the maximum amount of heat that the cooler was designed to handle. You can just start with the silverstone cooler and see if it's quiet enough without the low noise adapter.