Author Topic: The TBG Home Theater PC Build  (Read 44501 times)

holygeez03

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Home Theater PC Build
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »
My HTPC is still running Windows XP, so I plan to build a new one soon and use a majority of the parts from this article...

If I plan to get the ML03B case, the B360M motherboard, the SilverStone ST55F power-supply, and the Arctic F8 fans... are there any other cables/adapters/etc. that I will need? Especially for the 3.5" HDD since it is a bulk-packaged drive, what power/data cables are needed?

Obviously the CPU, GPU, RAM and M.2 SSD will insert directly into the motherboard.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:26:32 AM by holygeez03 »

holygeez03

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
If I am installing a Core i3-8300 with Intel Integrated Graphics 630 and the GigaByte GT 1030 Silent GPU... do you know of any way to output audio via HDMI on the motherboard (integrated) and video out of the GPU HDMI?

I ask because HD audio formats (DTS-HD/TrueHD) require HDMI, but I prefer to run the video cable straight to my TV and the audio to my HT Receiver. I prefer not to pass the HDMI signal through the audio receiver... my BluRay player has two HDMI outputs and allows me to do this (one for audio/receiver, one for video/TV)... until now, I have been stuck using my GPU HDMI for video and SPDIF from the motherboard for audio... which limits me to DTS and DD/AC-3.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »
My HTPC is still running Windows XP, so I plan to build a new one soon and use a majority of the parts from this article...

If I plan to get the ML03B case, the B360M motherboard, the SilverStone ST55F power-supply, and the Arctic F8 fans... are there any other cables/adapters/etc. that I will need? Especially for the 3.5" HDD since it is a bulk-packaged drive, what power/data cables are needed?

Welcome to the Forum, holygeez03!

The good news is that all the cables you'll need are included with the motherboard and power supply. The motherboard will include two SATA data cables, which you'll use for the 3.5" hard drive and optical drive, and the SSD is an M.2 slot-based model, so it doesn't require any cables. All power cables, including SATA power cables, are included with the power supply. The only things you'll need are a Phillips #1 screwdriver for installing all the big components and a jeweler's-type screwdriver[/url] for the M.2 SSD, both of which come in this handy Stanley Screwdriver Kit.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
If I am installing a Core i3-8300 with Intel Integrated Graphics 630 and the GigaByte GT 1030 Silent GPU... do you know of any way to output audio via HDMI on the motherboard (integrated) and video out of the GPU HDMI?

I ask because HD audio formats (DTS-HD/TrueHD) require HDMI, but I prefer to run the video cable straight to my TV and the audio to my HT Receiver. I prefer not to pass the HDMI signal through the audio receiver... my BluRay player has two HDMI outputs and allows me to do this (one for audio/receiver, one for video/TV)... until now, I have been stuck using my GPU HDMI for video and SPDIF from the motherboard for audio... which limits me to DTS and DD/AC-3.

There are advantages to running the HDMI signal through the HT receiver, including easier switching between sources. Are you concerned about passing a 4K signal? Some pre-2014 HT receivers won't be able to that. Any other reason you're concerned?

With that said, I thought this was a very interesting question, so I went ahead and tested it on my HT setup, using dual HDMI cables, one to my 4K TV and one to my receiver. The short answer is that it didn't work, and while I'm not sure of the reason, it probably has to do with the HDMI port being shut off on the motherboard once video is sent though the video card. There may be some workaround in the motherboard's BIOS for this, but it would take some digging, and I doubt it's possible just due to strict HDMI licensing rules.

holygeez03

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
In general, I always run into issues if I don't run video cables to video components and audio cables to audio components... I have a LOT of things connected within my entertainment center and I use every single modern and legacy input on my TV and Audio Receivers... some HDMI equipment is shared via HDMI Switch... here is a list of connected equipment based off my memory.

Cable Box
HTPC
BluRay Player
MiniDV Deck
DVR/DVD Recorder
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo WiiU
Playstation 3
Nintendo Switch
Roku Stick

The most specific reason is that I often find myself watching one source (PC) while listening to a different source (music)... and perhaps vice-versa if I am, for example, watching a sporting event (Cable Box) and listening to music from the HTPC. This is even more common when playing a Game Console and listening to music from another source.

It's quite possible that more recent Audio Receivers are capable of being programmed to allow this... but I am pretty picky with my audio receivers and once I find one I like sound-wise, I don't replace it until absolutely necessary. Furthermore, equipment being used in this "split" manner cannot run through an HDMI Switch either, so I would run out of HDMI inputs quickly on the Receiver.

I also just don't trust the HDMI pass-through on Audio Receivers to handle signal properly... Audio Receiver manufacturers tend to lag way behind-the-times with regard to signal processing and I know there will be issues going forward as soon as I upgrade a piece of equipment.

HDMI has been revolutionary for simple connectivity (high quality audio AND video guaranteed with one cable!)... but it only works 100% properly for complicated setups like mine if there is an option for HDMI-Audio and HDMI-Video... amazingly, my Panasonic Blu Ray player that I purchased way-back actually has two HDMI outputs that can be used in this manner (it can also output to two separate TVs/Monitors if desired).

So I will probably be stuck using SPDIF with my HTPC... luckily the Mortar Motherboard that you suggested has SPDIF Output.

Maybe there is a USB or Low-Profile Sound Card that will allow me to output HD Audio via HDMI?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:49:52 PM by holygeez03 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
You won't find any sound cards, full size or low profile, that supports hdmi. It's a video standard.

Digital optical is your only option if using a video card for video. Some motherboards have dual HDMI, but they probably won't output when a video card is installed. Perhaps something for you to research.

holygeez03

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »
That's really a shame since, as far as I know, all HD Audio formats require HDMI... there is no other conduit to carry such signals.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »
That's really a shame since, as far as I know, all HD Audio formats require HDMI... there is no other conduit to carry such signals.

That's incorrect. You are referring to audio used in video, like Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio. Those are not audio formats used for music. Lossless audio like FLAC doesn't need HDMI.

With that being said, I think I have a solution for you: two video cards. They'll both pass audio and video, so you can use one for your AV and one for your TV. You could use a low profile GT 710 for audio in the bottom PCIe slot.

holygeez03

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »
Yes, my term "HD Audio" is in reference to the multi-channel audio associated with HD Video... I did not mean all lossless formats.

I have been exploring the idea of a second video card to see if that will output the way I want, without sync or other issues.

Been looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-ZT-71304-20L/dp/B01E9Z2D60/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528832079&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+graphic+card+low

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:00:27 PM by Ari Altman »

holygeez03

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »
I'd also still be curious to see if there is a way to keep the "integrated graphics" on when using a GPU card?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »

I have been exploring the idea of a second video card to see if that will output the way I want, without sync or other issues.

Been looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-ZT-71304-20L/dp/B01E9Z2D60/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528832079&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+graphic+card+low

As mentioned in my previous post, a GT 710 would work, and while most fanless models require two slots, the zotac model you found appears to be one slot.

holygeez03

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
I think I will try it... if nothing else, for science.

Hopefully it will allow me to output proper DTS-HD/TrueHD via HDMI if I can setup software to handle it properly from my MKV files... I currently use KM Player and output via SPDIF... DTS and DD/AC3 work fine... files with DTS-HD are re-encoded into AC-3 (not always properly)... but I'm pretty sure TrueHD would simply not work (don't have any test files).

For my new Win10 HTPC, I will try to get Kodi/XBMC running and see if I like it... KM Player is getting dated, but I love the flexibility and simplicity of configuring the codecs the way I want.

The second video card will also allow me to setup my pinball tables with a separate backglass monitor, if I ever get around to that.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
I think I will try it... if nothing else, for science.

Hopefully it will allow me to output proper DTS-HD/TrueHD via HDMI if I can setup software to handle it properly from my MKV files... I currently use KM Player and output via SPDIF... DTS and DD/AC3 work fine... files with DTS-HD are re-encoded into AC-3 (not always properly)... but I'm pretty sure TrueHD would simply not work (don't have any test files).

For my new Win10 HTPC, I will try to get Kodi/XBMC running and see if I like it... KM Player is getting dated, but I love the flexibility and simplicity of configuring the codecs the way I want.

The second video card will also allow me to setup my pinball tables with a separate backglass monitor, if I ever get around to that.

Definitely report back on what you find!

Sumran

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »
Should be able to start the build this weekend. Waiting for FedEx to deliver the case. I am the 6TB drives for the NAS are still at large. The HTPC will be enough to keep me busy this weekend. My remote control (Logitech HT650) came in damaged. Had to get another one ordered and will return the damaged unit.

Still have several configuration issues to sort out. Havenít been able to find clear answers. Will go as far as I can with available info and then figure out the rest the hard way. 🤓

FrankC

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
Hello, I am building the August 2018 high-end home theater PC and I need help with an issue.

The Crucial SSD was delayed so I built the system and installed windows on the WD 4TB drive. When the SSD arrived I installed it and found that with it installed it does not detect the Blue Ray drive or the WD 4TB hard drive.

When I remove the SSD and reboot with no changes it detects both drives both in the bios and in windows disk management. I also reformatted the hard drive in case it was a boot conflict causing the issue

The SSD is installed in the slot adjacent to the video card slot. Initially I installed it in the other (smaller socket) but could not get the system to recognize it. I found information on the crucial website which suggested using the other longer socket.

Can I install both a Hauppauge Wintv tuner card in addition to the Hauppauge Collossus 2 in the system? I would like the ability to capture video and to record OTA broadcasts.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:24:47 PM by FrankC »