Author Topic: Air-Cooled Silverstone Sugo SG13  (Read 3546 times)

waleh

• View Profile
Air-Cooled Silverstone Sugo SG13
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone here was using a silverstone Sugo SG13 case and could provide some insight as to what coolers they are using for the CPU (specifically, air coolers). I know Ari is working on a low profile CPU cooler article but I wanted to get some other opinions until that article is out. For reference, the case houses an Asus Z70i Pro gaming motherboard and i5 6600k (soon to be 6700k). I currently own a AXP100 cooler and though it functions well, it has issues with motherboard compatibility. Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Air-Cooled Silverstone Sugo SG13
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:14:25 PM »
waleh,

You might want to follow the discussion I've had with forum user bigred13 in this thread:  http://techbuyersguru.com/forum/index.php?topic=165.msg2512#msg2512

He has the SG13 case and has posted information about his experience using the SilverStone AR06 cooler.

And indeed, I'm in the middle of testing nine low-profile coolers. As a matter of fact, I just took a break from running benchmarks on the AR06, which is installed in the system I'm typing on right now. So far it's actually in the lead, but I've got four more coolers to test, so while things are looking good for it, the standings could definitely change soon! With the equivalent of an intense gaming load, the AR06 hit 70C in a case with no case fans running. Pretty impressive!

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
Ah, thanks for the response! I'll have to check out that thread. It would be interesting to see how the Samuel 17 or Scythe Big Shuriken compare to the AR06!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:15:09 PM »
Ah, thanks for the response! I'll have to check out that thread. It would be interesting to see how the Samuel 17 or Scythe Big Shuriken compare to the AR06!

The Prolimatech Samuel 17 is a very interesting cooler, featuring an extreme heatsink offset designed specifically for ITX systems. That gives it great RAM clearance. Keep in mind, however, that it does not include a fan, and adding one of Prolimatech's 120mm fans brings the total cost to $65, which is extremely high for a heatsink of this size. While it features 6 heatpipes, which is a lot for an ultra-compact cooler, it just doesn't have a whole lot of metal. It's really a 92mm cooler with an extended frame to accommodate 120mm fans.

The Scythe Big Shuriken is a much better deal. But its ultra-thin fan is going to be fairly loud. That's just the nature of such fans - to get any airflow going, they have to run fast. I also have some doubts about whether its heatpipes, which run on the outside surface of the fin array, are an efficient design. Half of the heat transported isn't allowed to dissipate that way. But if you'd like to learn more about it, Tom's Hardware included it in a comprehensive low-profile cooler review three years ago and it did quite well. But as is typical of such reviews, it was tested on a full-size ATX board, which really isn't ideal for testing a cooler intended for small form factor system. You can't get a good sense of component clearance when using a big board like that.

I'm testing several heatsinks, including the Reeven Steropes, that I believe improve upon these designs. Unfortunately, the Steropes requires the use of ultra-low-profile DDR4 RAM when used with an ITX board, which makes it far from the clearcut winner.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:30 PM »
These are all interesting points. Mind you, if I got a cooler like the Samuel or Big Shuriken I could always use the fan on my AXP100 as I think it's a pretty good fan with reasonable acoustics.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 02:34:04 AM »
The AXP-100 uses a 100mm fan, while the other models use a 120mm fan. They may not have mounting holes for the smaller fan size.

waleh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:23:28 AM »
Ah! For some reason I thought it was a 120 mm fan