Author Topic: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build  (Read 70791 times)

ScottyGunn

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:15 AM »
Hello. New to the site. I've read a few of your guides and articles, and I am enjoying the information. I am interested in building the $1.5k High End Gaming as of the Apr 19 update. I am not very up to date on modern PC components, so relying on you a lot!

My question right now is on PSU. Will 550W be sufficient after all peripherals are connected and with possible upgrades in mind for the future? Would upgrading to the same make 750W impact this build in any way other than price?

Thanks for your help

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
Hello. New to the site. I've read a few of your guides and articles, and I am enjoying the information. I am interested in building the $1.5k High End Gaming as of the Apr 19 update. I am not very up to date on modern PC components, so relying on you a lot!

My question right now is on PSU. Will 550W be sufficient after all peripherals are connected and with possible upgrades in mind for the future? Would upgrading to the same make 750W impact this build in any way other than price?

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the Forum, ScottyGunn!

The 550W recommendation is designed to fully support the two major power users in the system: the CPU and GPU. None of the other components or peripherals you add to a PC will significantly affect the power use. With a Core i7-class CPU and an RTX 2070 (the current recommendations), the total power use at maximum gaming load will be around 350W. That means a 550W power supply is more than adequate.

Now, if you wanted to upgrade to a much more powerful GPU later, like an RTX 2080 Ti (which costs nearly as much as this entire system, mind you!), 550W would be cutting it close. It would still work, but the system would draw closer to 450W, which means the PSU would not be in its peak efficiency range, and would therefore run a bit hotter and louder.

With that said, looking at current prices, the Seasonic 750FM is around $92, making it just $17 more than the 550FM and therefore a very tempting upgrade. The thing is that with the $1,500 build as spec'd, it won't actually provide you a dollar worth of additional performance. It's just insurance for upgrading your GPU later on. Again, to really press the limits of a 550W PSU you'd have to use a $1,200+ GPU, which would make this a very different PC in terms of both performance and price.

To summarize, the TBG guides are designed to provide the very best balance of performance and quality at each pricepoint. If I had an extra $17 to throw at this system, I'd jump up to some Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM, which I think adds a cool aesthetic benefit.

Ultimately, the great thing is that the choice is totally yours, which is why building your own PC is so awesome!

HPzota

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been busy gaming on my still-going-strong build from 2015  :o can't believe it's been that long!!

I love the additions to the site and all the great information you have been adding. I came back to check on a build for my nephew, he wants to build his own rig and is very excited about it (he even told his dad he doesn't want a PS5, he would rather build a PC, which made us all gasp lol). I definitely told him about this great site to gain some knowledge and guidance, but I ran into a curious trend that I was unaware:

TL;DR - would this work on my July 2015 build TP-LINK Archer T6E AC1300 ? I would love the flexibility to move the pc anywhere in the house. Do you think is always better to be connected to the router via cable?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:05:37 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been busy gaming on my still-going-strong build from 2015  :o can't believe it's been that long!!

I love the additions to the site and all the great information you have been adding. I came back to check on a build for my nephew, he wants to build his own rig and is very excited about it (he even told his dad he doesn't want a PS5, he would rather build a PC, which made us all gasp lol). I definitely told him about this great site to gain some knowledge and guidance, but I ran into a curious trend that I was unaware:

TL;DR - would this work on my July 2015 build TP-LINK Archer T6E AC1300 ? I would love the flexibility to move the pc anywhere in the house. Do you think is always better to be connected to the router via cable?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome back, HPzota! Awesome to hear that your 2015 build is still meeting your needs. According to the TBG Archives, the $1,500 Gaming PC from 2015 used Z97 motherboard and either a 4690K or 4790K processor.  Z97 motherboards typically had either 5 or 6 PCIe slots, plus either 1 or 2 legacy PCI slots. The good news is that you can drop the TP-Link Archer T6E right into one of your board's free PCIe slots - just don't try to fit it into a PCI slot, which looks different (it's offset to the left). A wired connection is definitely the most stable, but as long as you aren't too far from your router, wireless is just as good. One word of caution: if your router doesn't offer the modern 802.11ac standard, you should probably upgrade, and I suggest a mesh system to most people, like the excellent TP-Link Deco M5.

And please report back if your nephew ends up building one of the rigs listed in the current TBG guides!

ScottyGunn

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »
Question on the power supply: The Seasonic Focus 650W Gold is $0.09 less right now on amazon than the 550W. Is 650W better looking forward to possible upgrades down the line?

Basically, would there be any reason not to get a power supply with more Wattage when were talking about same manufacturer and style ie Seasonic Focus/Focus+ etc.? Is load efficiency something to really look at? Does the physical size of the power supply change much or at all when upping the wattage?

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 24, 2019, 02:22:31 PM »
Question on the power supply: The Seasonic Focus 650W Gold is $0.09 less right now on amazon than the 550W. Is 650W better looking forward to possible upgrades down the line?

Basically, would there be any reason not to get a power supply with more Wattage when were talking about same manufacturer and style ie Seasonic Focus/Focus+ etc.? Is load efficiency something to really look at? Does the physical size of the power supply change much or at all when upping the wattage?

Thanks!

I'm seeing a $10 price difference, but absolutely, go for the higher wattage unit if it's the same price. Sometimes there can be an issue where up-specing the psu would lead to it being too large, but that's more in the small form factor market, and the seasonic 650w is actually the same size as the 550w.

ScottyGunn

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 23, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
Hey Ari - I'm back! I built the machine about a month ago, and it's running great. I haven't had a chance to really test it, but I've ran Elite Dangerous, TW: Warhammer and APEX and they're beautiful.

The build is almost exactly the same as the October build (I got my hands on a Zotac 2070 super twin fan last month!). Only exceptions are the PSU is the Seasonic semi-mod 650W and the Intel 1Tb SSD from August's build.

Only issue I'm having is with the WiFi speed <10Mbps. I have the Gigabyte CNVi WiFi Wireless-AC Upgrade kit in it. I'm 99% sure it's due to the distance from the router in my basement ceiling (for reasons). I have the Fios Quantum Gateway router https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/. I'm not sure the impact that may be having on performance.

Any suggestions on improving it? I'm pretty locked into the space for my PC and the router. WiFi extender?

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
Hey Ari - I'm back! I built the machine about a month ago, and it's running great. I haven't had a chance to really test it, but I've ran Elite Dangerous, TW: Warhammer and APEX and they're beautiful.

The build is almost exactly the same as the October build (I got my hands on a Zotac 2070 super twin fan last month!). Only exceptions are the PSU is the Seasonic semi-mod 650W and the Intel 1Tb SSD from August's build.

Only issue I'm having is with the WiFi speed <10Mbps. I have the Gigabyte CNVi WiFi Wireless-AC Upgrade kit in it. I'm 99% sure it's due to the distance from the router in my basement ceiling (for reasons). I have the Fios Quantum Gateway router https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/. I'm not sure the impact that may be having on performance.

Any suggestions on improving it? I'm pretty locked into the space for my PC and the router. WiFi extender?

Thanks!

I do have quite a few tips when it comes to WiFi, but the first thing we need to try to pin down what the root cause is. Can you take your computer down to your basement near your router? I realize you might have to haul a monitor down there too, but it will be worth it if you can do it.

The best option if the router signal isn't reaching you will be too install a mesh system in your house - but you say your router is in the ceiling, so I wonder if you can install additional equipment connected to it via ethernet cable. That's what I do with my ISP-provided Gateway - I just plug the router of my choice into it.

So in terms of a WiFi extender, I don't actually recommend them anymore unless you're more concerned about range than speed. But it may be your only option. When you reply back, also tell me how far the PC is from the Gateway in terms of floors and feet as well.