Author Topic: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build  (Read 49418 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »
Just out of curiosity. What would a faster CPU do for gaming? Would it just help the games load faster basically? I see the i7-7700K is 17% off on Amazon ;D.

As a pure gaming CPU, you still can't really beat the Core i7-7700K, which makes its current Black Friday $290 price a great deal. There actually is no "faster" processor. There are, however, CPUs with more cores, and in some games, they may slightly outperform the 7700K once overclocked to the same speed (the 7700K is higher-clocked out of the box). For productivity, the six-core Core i5-8600K is overall superior, but it's been selling for $300 and is essentially sold out worldwide. Plus it's slower in games due to its much lower clock speed.

Romeo16

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
If I were to buy the Core i7-7700K, I would need to buy a new motherboard, wouldn't I? ::)

Any recommendations for a good motherboard that's is on sale? lol

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »
If I were to buy the Core i7-7700K, I would need to buy a new motherboard, wouldn't I? ::)

Any recommendations for a good motherboard that's is on sale? lol

Yes and yes. The Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI, which is $105 right now for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

But remember, you'll need new RAM too, and even 8GB, which is what you have on your DDR3 board, would cost $100. That's the bare minimum for gaming today, and it's about $200 to get 16GB right now.

Do you already have Destiny 2? If not, a better upgrade for you would be to spend all that money on a GTX 1080 with Destiny 2 included. Your R9 390X actually has a lot of value to miners, so you could sell it, unlike your CPU, motherboard, and old RAM.

Romeo16

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2017, 05:14:40 AM »
So full disclosure... In my excitement I’ve already purchased the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB GDDR5 GPU, Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz RAM, and the Acer XFA240. However they’ve been taking a while to ship.

When I saw the i7-7700K CPU for sale I didnt wait long to purchase that too. I only realized after that the CPU won’t work on my old GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard. So now technically I have to buy another motherboard. I know I could have spent the money more efficiently but here I am.

I already have Destiny 2. Would the DDR3 RAM I purchased work in the GA-Z270XP-SLI?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2017, 06:29:07 AM »
So full disclosure... In my excitement I’ve already purchased the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB GDDR5 GPU, Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz RAM, and the Acer XFA240. However they’ve been taking a while to ship.

When I saw the i7-7700K CPU for sale I didnt wait long to purchase that too. I only realized after that the CPU won’t work on my old GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard. So now technically I have to buy another motherboard. I know I could have spent the money more efficiently but here I am.

I already have Destiny 2. Would the DDR3 RAM I purchased work in the GA-Z270XP-SLI?

Your RAM won't work. I'd honestly return the 7700K. It's not a good upgrade for you, especially given that you just bought new RAM that won't work with it or the motherboards it requires.

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
This site has been an invaluable resource as I take the plunge into my first PC build. It really is great!

I've been acquiring the various build components over the past few weeks, and noticed that the recommended CPU has changed from the Intel Core i7-7700K to the Intel Core i5 8600K. I purchased the Intel Core i7-7700K but haven't opened the box yet, and I am wondering if I should send it back and order the Intel Core i5 8600K instead.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
This site has been an invaluable resource as I take the plunge into my first PC build. It really is great!

I've been acquiring the various build components over the past few weeks, and noticed that the recommended CPU has changed from the Intel Core i7-7700K to the Intel Core i5 8600K. I purchased the Intel Core i7-7700K but haven't opened the box yet, and I am wondering if I should send it back and order the Intel Core i5 8600K instead.

Welcome to the Forum, petemoss!

The 7700K was on sale during Black Friday, and included two free games. The 8600K is currently selling for more than the 7700K's BF price, has no free games, and requires more expensive Z370 motherboards, so you'd have to return that too. Plus, the 7700K is actually faster out of the box.

So, in short, no!!!

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »

The 7700K was on sale during Black Friday, and included two free games. The 8600K is currently selling for more than the 7700K's BF price, has no free games, and requires more expensive Z370 motherboards, so you'd have to return that too. Plus, the 7700K is actually faster out of the box.

So, in short, no!!!

Thanks for the tip!

One thing that may be useful to include on the parts list is a note that some CPUs (e.g. 7700K) will only work with certain motherboards (e.g. the Z270). I noticed that the recommended motherboard and CPU have changed a couple of times recently, and if a reader isn't careful he or she may buy the Z370 on a Sunday, go back to the guide and see the 7700K on a Monday, and buy that chip. The 7700K chip will physically fit into the Z370, but will fail to boot. This could create some serious frustration for someone who isn't familiar with how to troubleshoot a new PC build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »

So, in short, no!!!

Thanks for the tip!

One thing that may be useful to include on the parts list is a note that some CPUs (e.g. 7700K) will only work with certain motherboards (e.g. the Z270). I noticed that the recommended motherboard and CPU have changed a couple of times recently, and if a reader isn't careful he or she may buy the Z370 on a Sunday, go back to the guide and see the 7700K on a Monday, and buy that chip. The 7700K chip will physically fit into the Z370, but will fail to boot. This could create some serious frustration for someone who isn't familiar with how to troubleshoot a new PC build.

Thanks for checking in on this. As the 7700K's BF price just expired, it's now been put out to pasture, with the 8600K headlining the December 2017 build (published today). I've added some very explicit warnings under the motherboard selection so people understand that these CPUs are not interchangeable.

ThatGamerGuy67

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 29, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
Hello,

I am currently looking to get the $1500 build and was wondering if its worth it getting the i5-8600 over the i5-8600K if I'm not planning on overclocking the system, also anything else that I might want to change if I'm not overclocking. I am also wondering if there is a  case that I would be able to add a Blu-ray drive to and if so any recommendations on a Blu-ray drive? Finally I'm wondering if there are any recommendations on a wireless cards for the build?

-ThatGamerGuy67

-P.S. items available in Canada would best, thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 29, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
Hello,

I am currently looking to get the $1500 build and was wondering if its worth it getting the i5-8600 over the i5-8600K if I'm not planning on overclocking the system, also anything else that I might want to change if I'm not overclocking. I am also wondering if there is a  case that I would be able to add a Blu-ray drive to and if so any recommendations on a Blu-ray drive? Finally I'm wondering if there are any recommendations on a wireless cards for the build?

-ThatGamerGuy67

ThatGamerGuy67,

I can definitely give you some recommendations based on your specific needs:

(1) CPU: the Core i5-8600 is a perfect choice if you're not overclocking. It will perform nearly identically to the 8600K. You can buy it for CAD$290 at Newegg.ca.
(2) Cooler: While the Core i5-8600 comes with a cooler, it's really inadequate for such a powerful six-core processor. I'd stick with the cooler recommended in the guide (the Cryorig H7), which is CAD$40 shipped. It will be much, much quieter.
(3) Case: If you want a great case that can fit an optical drive, go with SilverStone's RL05, which is a fantastic mid-range case. You can get it for CAD$96 from Amazon.ca.
(4) Blu-Ray: I'd recommend the LG 16x Blu-Ray Burner, which you can get for CAD$73 from Newegg.ca. Remember, you need playback software for commercial Blu-ray movies, so get it with the Cyberlink option if you want that capability.
(5) WiFi: this one's easy - the TP-Link Archer T6E for CAD$60 at Amazon.ca.

ThatGamerGuy67

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
Hello,

-ThatGamerGuy67

ThatGamerGuy67,

(1) CPU: the Core i5-8600 is a perfect choice if you're not overclocking. It will perform nearly identically to the 8600K. You can buy it for CAD$290 at Newegg.ca.
(2) Cooler: While the Core i5-8600 comes with a cooler, it's really inadequate for such a powerful six-core processor. I'd stick with the cooler recommended in the guide (the Cryorig H7), which is CAD$40 shipped. It will be much, much quieter.
(3) Case: If you want a great case that can fit an optical drive, go with SilverStone's RL05, which is a fantastic mid-range case. You can get it for CAD$96 from Amazon.ca.
(4) Blu-Ray: I'd recommend the LG 16x Blu-Ray Burner, which you can get for CAD$73 from Newegg.ca. Remember, you need playback software for commercial Blu-ray movies, so get it with the Cyberlink option if you want that capability.

Hey Ari Altman,

thanks for the help and sorry for never replying to your post earlier, I ended up waiting on buying the parts until cyber Monday. In the end I decided that I don't use a CD tray drive enough to justify buying it and a case to fit it. For my build I decided to increased the ram to 2×16gb sticks and the gigabyte 2070, though depending on sales I might go to the gigabyte 1070ti. Here's the current build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RWYnCb , if there is anything in the build that might not work well please let me know.

-thanks again for the help, ThatGamerGuy67.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:53:27 AM by ThatGamerGuy67 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
Hello,

-ThatGamerGuy67

ThatGamerGuy67,

Hey Ari Altman,

thanks for the help and sorry for never replying to your post earlier, I ended up waiting on buying the parts until cyber Monday. In the end I decided that I don't use a CD tray drive enough to justify buying it and a case to fit it. For my build I decided to increased the ram to 2×16gb sticks and the gigabyte 2070, though depending on sales I might go to the gigabyte 1070ti. Here's the current build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RWYnCb , if there is anything in the build that might not work well please let me know.

Hey, ThatGamerGuy67, that build looks good. The one thing I'd change is that Seasonic power supply. You selected an old model. Much better to get the newer, better, cheaper Seasonic Focus 550.

Just as an FYI, if you'd like to support the Forum, consider using the Amazon Canada links in the TBG guide if you purchase any products there, rather than the links on PCPartPicker.

ThatGamerGuy67

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
Hello,

-ThatGamerGuy67

ThatGamerGuy67,

Hey Ari Altman,

Hey, ThatGamerGuy67, that build looks good. The one thing I'd change is that Seasonic power supply. You selected an old model. Much better to get the newer, better, cheaper Seasonic Focus 550.

Just as an FYI, if you'd like to support the Forum, consider using the Amazon Canada links in the TBG guide if you purchase any products there, rather than the links on PCPartPicker.

Thanks Ari Altman, just wondering but would you recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 that's currently in your build over the Seasonic Focus 550?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »

Thanks Ari Altman, just wondering but would you recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 that's currently in your build over the Seasonic Focus 550?

Not at the price in Canada. The switch to the 650 G3 was made strictly based on US pricing, where the Seasonic units have lost their pricing advantage due to tariffs.