Author Topic: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build  (Read 30484 times)

DavinPro

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,500 High-End Gaming PC Build
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2017, 03:17:20 AM »
Ok. Thanks a bunch for all your help :)

senorpatches

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
Hey Sri, I was wondering if I destroy my Intel Optane Memory volume due accidently installing the Windows O.S onto it, but now I have erase everything on ot. If I am still able to use.ot, my next question would.be how would I be able to.accerlate my Seagate hdd, because I've been lost in bios and I have updated.its f6

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
You didn't destroy the Optane module, don't worry. But what you want to do is install Windows to your Seagate drive. You'll start using it just like a normal computer with a hard drive, and then you'll enable the Optane cache.

This Intel instructional video will help you get the Optane set up.

Specifically, in the BIOS, you need UEFI enabled, CSM disabled, Intel RST enabled, and M.2 Port Remaping enabled.

Then you need to run Intel's SetupOptane.exe application to setup the caching system.

nzkfc

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
Why the intel optane in the build by the way? I know it's new tech and supposed to work, but it's still horrible.

why not just take the plunge into an SSD.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
Why the intel optane in the build by the way? I know it's new tech and supposed to work, but it's still horrible.

why not just take the plunge into an SSD.

The dramatic increase in GPU prices meant that something big had to give way for this build. But at this point, the Optane has been pulled in favor of a Seagate Hybrid drive.

There's simply no way to build a gaming PC for $1,500 with an SSD right now due to the absence of all video cards between $300 and $500.

DavinPro

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
I completed the $1500 build around 2 weeks ago but didn't understand that i was supposed to set up Inte Optane before installing Windows 10. I already have Windows 10 installed on my computer with Intel Optane installed on my motherboard but not set up ( did not know what i was doing at the time ) I am now trying to get the Optane working and still have no idea what im doing. Is there any way for me to get Optane set up from where I'm at without wiping my HDD and starting from the beginning?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
I completed the $1500 build around 2 weeks ago but didn't understand that i was supposed to set up Inte Optane before installing Windows 10. I already have Windows 10 installed on my computer with Intel Optane installed on my motherboard but not set up ( did not know what i was doing at the time ) I am now trying to get the Optane working and still have no idea what im doing. Is there any way for me to get Optane set up from where I'm at without wiping my HDD and starting from the beginning?

Actually, you're OK - Windows 10 does not install on the Optane module, and you do not need Optane in your system when you install Windows 10 on the hard drive.

This Intel installation video will show you how to enable your Optane cache module from within Windows 10.

The truth is that this has confused a lot of readers, which is the reason Intel Optane has been pulled from the latest buyer's guide. Optane works great once it's installed, but it really takes too many steps to get working.

DavinPro

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
I don't know how much you know about setting up Optane, but i have had nothing but problems. I did everything i was supposed to do ( updated BIOS to intel optane supported f6 (i had f3 installed on my motherboard), downloaded the optane startup app) but when i go to run the startup app it says i have an unsupported BIOS. So i did some troubleshooting and found that that message is displayed when BIOS is unsupported OR when SATA controller mode isn't set to RST premium mode. Mine wasn't set to RST premium mode. After i set it to said mode windows 10 won't work, and requires a reinstallation. If i switch the SATA controller mode back to what it was originally Windows 10 works just fine and i can use my computer as i have been. Im stuck and don't know what to do, if you can't help in this area i will try Intels support.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
I really can't help you any further. Either try Intel's support, or better yet return the Optane module. Intel clearly released it before it was ready. It's caused a lot of problems for a lot of people.

You'll be better off at this point buying a Crucial MX300 275GB and reinstalling your OS on it.

DavinPro

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
Thanks for all your help and support, i totally understand why you cant help further. I will look into it a little deeper before i decide return mine, but if thats what it comes to i will do so.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2017, 04:42:42 PM »
Thanks for all your help and support, i totally understand why you cant help further. I will look into it a little deeper before i decide return mine, but if thats what it comes to i will do so.

Thanks for understanding. I'm really sorry it worked out this way, because in concept Optane could have been a game-changer.

DsevenO

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2017, 01:05:13 AM »
Looking at the build as of the date of this post, there are a few things I need help with. I'm in Canada, and the Canadian links for the case and the power supply go to a different make and model than the ones recommenced in the build. Is this intentional? Also just as an fyi, the video card listed is no longer in stock at Amazon.ca.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:07:50 AM by DsevenO »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
Looking at the build as of the date of this post, there are a few things I need help with. I'm in Canada, and the Canadian links for the case and the power supply go to a different make and model than the ones recommenced in the build. Is this intentional? Also just as an fyi, the video card listed is no longer in stock at Amazon.ca.

Welcome to the Forum, DsevenO!

Really good question there - as it turns out, neither SilverStone nor Seasonic have a retail presence in Canada, and so alternative products have been linked in the guide for Canadian readers that are of equal or better quality. I've actually spoken to SilverStone about this, and they told me SilverStone was going establish an official relationship with Amazon Canada, but apparently this hasn't happened yet. While a few products are available at reasonable prices, most are not.

As for the video card, this is a common problem with GTX 1070 cards - they are ALL out of stock all around the world. Right now, the Zotac GTX 1070 Mini is available for backorder in Canada, shipping on Sept. 22nd, which is actually really, really good. Most GTX 1070 models are backordered for longer.

DsevenO

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »

Really good question there - as it turns out, neither SilverStone nor Seasonic have a retail presence in Canada, and so alternative products have been linked in the guide for Canadian readers that are of equal or better quality. I've actually spoken to SilverStone about this, and they told me SilverStone was going establish an official relationship with Amazon Canada, but apparently this hasn't happened yet. While a few products are available at reasonable prices, most are not.

As for the video card, this is a common problem with GTX 1070 cards - they are ALL out of stock all around the world. Right now, the Zotac GTX 1070 Mini is available for backorder in Canada, shipping on Sept. 22nd, which is actually really, really good. Most GTX 1070 models are backordered for longer.

Thanks so much for the reply! I assumed this was the case with regard to the components, but I wanted to be sure. I prefer the alternative computer case that was linked, so it works out great.

The video card is available at NewEgg.ca still, so I'll be purchasing from there. Thanks again for the welcome and the reply. This site is truly amazing.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »

Thanks so much for the reply! I assumed this was the case with regard to the components, but I wanted to be sure. I prefer the alternative computer case that was linked, so it works out great.

The video card is available at NewEgg.ca still, so I'll be purchasing from there. Thanks again for the welcome and the reply. This site is truly amazing.

Happy to help! If you haven't ordered your GTX 1070 from Newegg.ca yet, please consider using this link to the Zotac 1070 Mini, which will help support this site. Thanks!

Newegg.ca also has the Enthoo Pro M in stock at a very good price. Unfortunately, it's out of stock not only at Amazon.ca, but Amazon.com as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:56:27 PM by Ari Altman »