Author Topic: TBG's Guide to Assembling a High-End PC (2017)  (Read 1389 times)

rwh03001

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Guide to Assembling a High-End PC (2017)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
I don't think it's the monitor. 

Here's a screenshot of the page using my laptop:
laptop_screenshot" border="0

Here's what it looks like on the new PC's onboard video card:
motherboard_Video_Card" border="0

Here's a shot from the GeForce card:
geforce_card" border="0

As you can see, the laptop picture is far more clear on the same monitor.  The laptop has Windows 7 whereas the PC has the free version of Windows 10.  I don't know if this could make a difference or not, but I am going to try installing 7 and see if anything changes.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
OK, this likely has to do with font scaling and perhaps some limitation on color depth occurring in the free version of Windows 10 that you're using.

Note that Windows 7 is not optimized for use on SSDs, and should not be used long-term with an SSD-based system. You probably should probably pick up a copy of W10 at some point.

rwh03001

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
Crunch time for me...I have to decide whether or not to return this thing before tomorrow's return deadline.  I've purchased the full version of Windows 10, tried this thing on multiple monitors, etc., and nothing improves it in the slightest.  I find it so hard to believe that people are using Windows 10 with these horrible display problems.  I'm also not willing to chalk this up to faulty hardware because I saw a lot of these issues when I installed windows 10 on my old machine (totally different monitor, HDMI cables, etc.).  On that system, I had blurry desktop icons and strange fonts, but not the horrible in-game colors that I'm seeing on this machine. I uninstalled Windows 10 and went back to 7 on my old system months ago.  I tried putting windows 7 on this but it didn't really work; It installs and recognizes my mouse and keyboard but won't allow me to connect to the internet or recognize any USB that I plug in, so I can't do a windows update or install drivers. 

Why won't this system recognize things that are plugged into the motherboard when I'm using W7?  I'm out of ideas.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:31:17 AM by rwh03001 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
Crunch time for me...I have to decide whether or not to return this thing before tomorrow's return deadline.  I've purchased the full version of Windows 10, tried this thing on multiple monitors, etc., and nothing improves it in the slightest.  I find it so hard to believe that people are using Windows 10 with these horrible display problems.  I'm also not willing to chalk this up to faulty hardware because I saw a lot of these issues when I installed windows 10 on my old machine (totally different monitor, HDMI cables, etc.).  On that system, I had blurry desktop icons and strange fonts, but not the horrible in-game colors that I'm seeing on this machine. I uninstalled Windows 10 and went back to 7 on my old system months ago.  I tried putting windows 7 on this but it didn't really work; It installs and recognizes my mouse and keyboard but won't allow me to connect to the internet or recognize any USB that I plug in, so I can't do a windows update or install drivers. 

Why won't this system recognize things that are plugged into the motherboard when I'm using W7?  I'm out of ideas.  What do you think?

I am a bit stumped at your screen rendering issues. Typically things could get out of sorts if you've made adjustments to Windows settings, but by default, you shouldn't have font issues. I run a half-dozen W10 test systems, and don't have them on any of the machines, except for the usual issues on 4K monitors, which don't apply to your situation.

In terms of not getting W7 working, that's an issue of not having motherboard drivers for your system. Your USB ports aren't enabled. Feel free to look for W7 drivers on the Gigabyte site - it's possible that the board still supports W7, but you'd need to install those drivers, including the chipset and USB drivers. Since it won't recognize USB drives, you'd need to get the drivers downloaded directly to the system, and in fact the Ethernet port may not work without a W7 driver. The old-school method for doing all this was via the CD-ROM that motherboards came with. W10 is much better in this regard, and of course most systems don't have optical drives anymore. So the issues you have are due to a system/OS mis-match. W7 just isn't meant to run on this system, and it shouldn't be necessary.

I'd take one more look through the Display control panel in Windows 10, including text rendering size, resolution, and the screen refresh rate under Display adapter properties.

In the end, I'm sure this is definitely frustrating, but this is not a universal problem with Windows 10. There must be another issue if you've seen it on multiple computers over time. Are you directly connecting the HDMI cable without any adapters? Do you have a spare? It really might be worth trying to find a new monitor with a DisplayPort connector, maybe at a friend's house or at work. That's all I can suggest if changing the settings and HDMI cable don't work.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:33:34 PM by Ari Altman »

RemixEdition

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
I am attempting to create the high end build that featured the cooler master lite rgb case. Please please help. How on God's green earth do I connect the fans/ LEDs to the motherboard. I went straight by the guide and purchased a msi z370 sli plus motherboard and I am currently stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
I am attempting to create the high end build that featured the cooler master lite rgb case. Please please help. How on God's green earth do I connect the fans/ LEDs to the motherboard. I went straight by the guide and purchased a msi z370 sli plus motherboard and I am currently stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

OK, here you go: the MSI Z370 SLI Plus board has Mystic Light built in, and you need to find its RGB header labeled JRGB1 in the lower left-hand corner of the board:

The Cooler Master 5 Lite RGB Case includes a 3-to-1 RGB splitter that you use to connect the fans to the RGB controller:

Note that these are just for RGB effects, you still have to attach the fans to motherboard fan headers to power them up.

RemixEdition

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
I have the 3 to 1 cable however unless I am just dense as all get out the end of the cable is male and so is the jrbg1. I had thought that's where it went but the male to male thru me off.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »
I have the 3 to 1 cable however unless I am just dense as all get out the end of the cable is male and so is the jrbg1. I had thought that's where it went but the male to male thru me off.

Straight from the manual:

If Cooler Master included a male-to-male adapter, then you need to contact them. That's simply the wrong part.

RemixEdition

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »
Wanted to get back to you. Seems a converter was already attached out of the box. All I had to do was pull it out and then end of the cable was female. Another question has come up. When I run the msi utility mystic light it only shows my motherboard. The motherboard is all res and everything else is grayed out. I have the fans running and the lights are on and I whatever I tell my motherboard to do the fans sync. I just thought I could control the fans independent of each other and independent of the mother board. Again any help is appreciated

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
Wanted to get back to you. Seems a converter was already attached out of the box. All I had to do was pull it out and then end of the cable was female. Another question has come up. When I run the msi utility mystic light it only shows my motherboard. The motherboard is all res and everything else is grayed out. I have the fans running and the lights are on and I whatever I tell my motherboard to do the fans sync. I just thought I could control the fans independent of each other and independent of the mother board. Again any help is appreciated

Actually, the reason that motherboard RGB controls were developed was to sync all these different components together. So unless you go with an ultra-high-end motherboard, getting light-by-light controls isn't going to be possible. MSI's Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon board has the most full-featured version of Mystic Light, which includes individual controls over the RGB header.

By the way, you might be interested in checking out TBG's hands-on guide to Customizing PCs in RGB Age.