Author Topic: HSF much easier than an AIO for Ncase M1 CPU cooling...  (Read 2683 times)

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
HSF much easier than an AIO for Ncase M1 CPU cooling...
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »
After fiddling/diddling with my Corsair H100i V1 AIO CPU cooler in my Mini-ITX build in an Ncase M1 chassis, I've decided to go with a HSF. It was just too tight a fit, and with the required twisting/turning of the hoses on the AIO, I was concerned with a kink eventually developing, compromising the functional integrity of the AIO.

I ordered the Noctua C14 HSF. It's the older, discontinued model, but has less height than it's replacement. This was important in the Ncase M1.
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HSF much easier than an AIO for Ncase M1 CPU cooling...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:32:08 PM »
After fiddling/diddling with my Corsair H100i V1 AIO CPU cooler in my Mini-ITX build in an Ncase M1 chassis, I've decided to go with a HSF. It was just too tight a fit, and with the required twisting/turning of the hoses on the AIO, I was concerned with a kink eventually developing, compromising the functional integrity of the AIO.

I ordered the Noctua C14 HSF. It's the older, discontinued model, but has less height than it's replacement. This was important in the Ncase M1.

Sorry to hear that the H100i didn't quite work out.

I'm actually in the process of conducting an 8-way shootout among low-profile coolers. The Noctua C14 won't be in it, as it isn't really low profile, but a number of other good models will be. I should note that I recently tested the Noctua NH-C14S and found it to be decent, but not quite up to the standards of similarly-priced tower coolers.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
Re: HSF much easier than an AIO for Ncase M1 CPU cooling...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:01:12 AM »
Yes, the C14-S is the new one, but too tall to fit easily in the Ncase M1.
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde