Author Topic: The TBG $750 Budget Gaming PC Build  (Read 24292 times)

Mailmanmo

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $750 Budget Gaming PC Build
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2016, 04:27:34 AM »
Hello, if I have an i7 6700k (a mate no longer needs) and an r9 270x (a total mismatch i know  :D) can I adapt this build to include both of them?
 Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2016, 07:43:48 AM »
Hello, if I have an i7 6700k (a mate no longer needs) and an r9 270x (a total mismatch i know  :D) can I adapt this build to include both of them?
 Thanks!

Always nice to get a spare high-end CPU!

Both it and the video card will work fine with the build as configured, but you won't have overclocking support for the 6700K, and unless your friend gave you a cpu cooler as well,  you'll need to add one to the build. For the best low cost overclocking motherboard and aftermarket cooler, see the $1,250 Gaming Build.

By the way, TBG recently benched a 270X in an article looking at Battlefield 1 performance. For comparison,  the R9 290 in this article performs identically to the RX 480 4GB recommended for the $750 Budget Gaming Build. That will give you an idea of the improvement in store if you eventually upgrade!

Mailmanmo

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2016, 11:34:40 AM »
Thanks a mill! Not interested in over clocking at this stage,so the original board might do me.
 Can you recommend a cooler that'll fit in this case?
I will update the GPU at some stage, just nt now as strapped for cash, and looking for quickfix as my current PC is beyond repair :(
Edit: sorry I just followed link, thanks I will get them instead! Thanks a mill!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:46:18 PM by Mailmanmo »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
Thanks a mill! Not interested in over clocking at this stage,so the original board might do me.
 Can you recommend a cooler that'll fit in this case?
I will update the GPU at some stage, just nt now as strapped for cash, and looking for quickfix as my current PC is beyond repair :(

The Arctic i32 is an amazing cooler for the price. Far superior to the more "popular" Hyper 212 Evo, which I no longer recommend.

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »
Hello, I'm new to TBG and this forum, I've been researching building an affordable gaming tower, and came across TBG $750 Budget gaming PC build, and decided this was for me! So hope I'm in the correct thread? I've already ordered the Zalman z1 Neo case. And I went with the TBG Tech tip, and upgraded the power supply, to the 600W. Unfortunately I have to buy my components as I can afford them, but should not be to long, as I always get a return on my taxes.

I do have a question concerning audio. I plan on connecting this build to my Samsung 46" LCD Flatscreen. Will the HDMI Carry the Audio to the Flatscreen and my Samsung sound bar and wireless woofer. Or do I have to hook up audio speakers through the motherboard? I also have an Asus 26" monitor. (Same question). And does any one make an A-B switch, switching box for HDMI so I could switch between the Samsung LCD Flatscreen or the Asus monitor. Thanks in advance.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Hello, I'm new to TBG and this forum, I've been researching building an affordable gaming tower, and came across TBG $750 Budget gaming PC build, and decided this was for me! So hope I'm in the correct thread? I've already ordered the Zalman z1 Neo case. And I went with the TBG Tech tip, and upgraded the power supply, to the 600W. Unfortunately I have to buy my components as I can afford them, but should not be to long, as I always get a return on my taxes.

I do have a question concerning audio. I plan on connecting this build to my Samsung 46" LCD Flatscreen. Will the HDMI Carry the Audio to the Flatscreen and my Samsung sound bar and wireless woofer. Or do I have to hook up audio speakers through the motherboard? I also have an Asus 26" monitor. (Same question). And does any one make an A-B switch, switching box for HDMI so I could switch between the Samsung LCD Flatscreen or the Asus monitor. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the  TBG Forum, zhills! Sounds like you have a good approach to buying the Budget Gaming PC in stages. If you wanted to get a jump-start on the building process, the next product I'd purchase would be the motherboard, as you could then install it and the power supply in the case and hook up the majority of the cables. That's basically half the build right there!

So, to answer your question regarding HDMI audio, yes, the HDMI cable will carry both audio and video to your flatscreen, and assuming your sound bar is plugged directly into your TV, the sound will be ported through it. The TV will operate just like it does with other sources, for example a cable box or a game console.

In terms of driving two output devices, you actually don't need a switch at all. You can plug your TV in via HDMI, and you can plug your 26" monitor in via one of the other outputs on the Radeon RX 480 video card. In fact, the Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB is unique in having two HDMI outputs, where most cards just have one. It also has DVI, in case that's what your monitor uses. The computer will correctly identify whichever screen is turned on and send video to it. If you have both screens on, you'll need to enter the Radeon control panel to tell the card what you want (screen mirroring, stretch across two screens, etc.).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:47:51 AM by Ari Altman »

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
Thank you for your quick response. This forum and builds seemed made to order for me. Yes the motherboard was going to be my next purchase! Great news about the HDMI Carrying the sound to the Samsung LCD, and the Asus monitor. I do not have the model # for the Asus monitor, but I'm pretty sure it has speakers also. It's a very nice HDMI Monitor. Also great news that I can run the two HDMI Cables. I'm sure I'll be asking more question. I use to swap out lots of computer parts. But never actually installed a processor and processor cooling fan. So that's the only part of this build I'm a little nerves about. Again Thank You!

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2017, 03:34:42 AM »
I had another quick question. I wanted to use an older Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm not worried about going over the $750.00 price point, as I already planned on several upgrades like I did with the power supply 600W. Over a period of time. I sure I will need to install a wireless card? Will this motherboard take a wireless card? And if so, could you recommend a good wireless card for this build? Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
I had another quick question. I wanted to use an older Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm not worried about going over the $750.00 price point, as I already planned on several upgrades like I did with the power supply 600W. Over a period of time. I sure I will need to install a wireless card? Will this motherboard take a wireless card? And if so, could you recommend a good wireless card for this build? Thanks!

In the current  $750 build, there is one free PCIe slot after installing the video card. I recommend the TP-Link Archer T6E at $50. While there are plenty of cheaper options available, this is the minimum I recommend as a long-term purchase. If you have slower DSL Internet or an old router, you can use TP-Link's older 802.11n model. I can't truly recommend it because I think it's best to invest in new standards when buying networking gear so you don't get held back in the future. And please avoid the thumbnail size 802.11ac USB adapters that sell for $20 or so.  They are top sellers because they are cheap, not because they work.

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2017, 04:13:32 AM »
I may have asked the wrong question here. I really have no plans connecting this build wirelessly through my router. As I will be connected to my router by hard wire. My Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse has the little wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port. Is that all I need to have my wireless keyboard and mouse work with this build. I did hear your warning on adapters, but my only plans for wireless connectivity is the mouse and keyboard?

Also in your opinion, what would be the best upgrade for that one PCIe slot?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:38:12 AM by zhills »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2017, 06:43:39 AM »
I may have asked the wrong question here. I really have no plans connecting this build wirelessly through my router. As I will be connected to my router by hard wire. My Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse has the little wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port. Is that all I need to have my wireless keyboard and mouse work with this build. I did hear your warning on adapters, but my only plans for wireless connectivity is the mouse and keyboard?

Also in your opinion, what would be the best upgrade for that one PCIe slot?

Ok, you're just referring to Logitech's USB receiver. Nothing changes when you move these devices to a new computer. As long as you have the adapter, everything will work just like it did before.

As for upgrades, i don't think you need anything in the PCIe slot at this point.

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2017, 03:52:45 AM »
I received my Zalman Z1 Neo case Wednesday, and the upgraded 600W power supply yesterday. I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of these two components. And wow, Amazon Prime is awesome, I'm just taking advantage of their 30 day free trial. Free two day shipping! How do you beat that. I went ahead and ordered the motherboard this morning. It's been a long time since I've installed any electronic components into a case, technology has change some since my old Dell computers. But basically the same. I have been reading the builders guide when I can. But has anyone here created a video or documentation on this particular build? I would really like more information on all the wiring connections and tips on keeping everything organized in the case. Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »
I received my Zalman Z1 Neo case Wednesday, and the upgraded 600W power supply yesterday. I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of these two components. And wow, Amazon Prime is awesome, I'm just taking advantage of their 30 day free trial. Free two day shipping! How do you beat that. I went ahead and ordered the motherboard this morning. It's been a long time since I've installed any electronic components into a case, technology has change some since my old Dell computers. But basically the same. I have been reading the builders guide when I can. But has anyone here created a video or documentation on this particular build? I would really like more information on all the wiring connections and tips on keeping everything organized in the case. Thanks!

Glad to hear your new components came in quickly and that the quality impresses you. These are really nice products for the price.

As for a video or documentation, the best I can do is refer you to TBG's Guide to Assembling a Basic PC, which walked through every step of building a simple PC in another Zalman case, the ZM-T2.

Several readers have asked for videos, and it's something I'm considering doing. It's a little hard to set something like this up and make it helpful to readers (as you really need to do a lot of closeup work, which means shifting the camera constantly), but I'll think about it for the next how-to-guide.

I know a lot of readers would like hands-on tutorials for every build on TBG, but the truth is, doing this would be both cost-prohibitive and extremely time-intensive. To keep up with the latest trends and changes, TBG publishes about 3 or 4 assembly guides every year representing builds at different price points. Each of these takes about a week to complete in terms of getting parts together, assembly, photography, editing, writing, and layout. You could imagine doing that for 20 builds a year would be complicated, and given that TBG still pays for most of its test gear out of pocket, it would also bankrupt us!

Just FYI, here are the four assembly guides to be published over the next 6 months on TBG:
(1) A mid-range PC Builder's guide using components similar to the $1,250 Buyer's Guide
(2) A high-end PC Builder's guide using components similar to the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC Buyer's Guide
(3) A high-end ITX PC Builder's guide using components similar to the $1,500 VR-Ready Mini-ITX PC Buyer's Guide
(4) An ultra-compact STX PC Builder's Guide using a brand-new form factor, that will become the basis for a new $400 Home Office PC Buyer's Guide

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »
I for one would like to say thank you. I did a lot of research, started by typing into search engine "Building a Gaming Tower" followed a bunch of links. But when I came across (TBG) I was hooked. Found it very informative and helpful. And when I saw the $750.00 budget gaming PC. I. new that's the one I wanted to build. As it was close to other retail computers I was looking at with similar components but at extremely higher cost.

I have been reading through your building basic PC tutorial. But have to try following it step by step.
And also appreciate your patience with these newbie questions, as this will be my first build. I'm fairly computer literate, and have changed out graphics cards, wireless cards, drives, and familiar with working in bios. But neve installed a motherboard or processor before. Thanks again you help is very reassuring to someone trying a build for the first time.

zhills

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »
Is the Motherboard displayed in the February update different from the one I ordered in January, I don't remember the plus being on the one I ordered? And if so! What is the differences?