Author Topic: The TBG $750 Budget Gaming PC Build  (Read 41781 times)

dubritski

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $750 Budget Gaming PC Build
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »
i ordered the MSI H97 PC Mate on amazon, but didn't follow your guide to the Tee, according to amazon that motherboard supported ddr3 2400, so i bought some 2400 memory from newegg, come to find out according to MSI that MB only supports 1600 memory.
Do you have a good alternative to a board that support? all the MB's im looking at says 2400 OC is that ok?
this is what i bought
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587

Edit, should i just buy the Z97 at newegg for 87.99?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130779&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL062315&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062315&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062315-_-EMC-062315-Index-_-IntelMotherboards-_-13130779-S1A4A

Also, today is a good day to buy a slightly more powerful card than the one you suggested
newegg has a sale for 280x for 209 and 20 $ rebate card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL062315&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062315&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062315-_-EMC-062315-Index-_-DesktopGraphicsCards-_-14202137-S1A3A
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:03:40 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
i ordered the MSI H97 PC Mate on amazon, but didn't follow your guide to the Tee, according to amazon that motherboard supported ddr3 2400, so i bought some 2400 memory from newegg, come to find out according to MSI that MB only supports 1600 memory.
Do you have a good alternative to a board that support? all the MB's im looking at says 2400 OC is that ok?
this is what i bought
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587

Edit, should i just buy the Z97 at newegg for 87.99?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130779&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL062315&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062315&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062315-_-EMC-062315-Index-_-IntelMotherboards-_-13130779-S1A4A

Also, today is a good day to buy a slightly more powerful card than the one you suggested
newegg has a sale for 280x for 209 and 20 $ rebate card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL062315&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062315&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062315-_-EMC-062315-Index-_-DesktopGraphicsCards-_-14202137-S1A3A

Hey there dubritski, and welcome to the TBG Forum!

So first things first, the RAM you bought is really good stuff - in fact, you can find a complete benchmark review of it on The Tech Buyer's Guru.

But to answer your questions, we really have to unpack the concerns you have about the system. The problem you're running into has to do with limitations of the H97 chipset. But whether it's a problem worth addressing by replacing parts is a whole other issue. Yes, you could disassemble your PC, return your H97 board, order a Z97 board, rebuild your PC, and you'd be able to run at DDR3-2400. But the truth is that it's probably not the best use of your time. If you're running a Core i5-4590 processor, it's not overclockable, and that's the main advantage of using a Z97 chipset. The extended memory speed range is just another perk, but by far a secondary one.

Plus, there's a way around the problem that I often use when running chipsets other than Intel's overclocker-friendly ones. You can lower the timings on the memory. Lowering timings has a very similar effect to increasing frequency, and it isn't limited by chipset. So try running your memory at DDR3-1600 with 8-8-8-24 timings, and if that works, try 7-7-7-21. This will get you nearly the same speed as DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31, which is what the TridentX kit is rated at.

Truth be told, while I own multiple TridentX kits, I don't run them at DDR3-2400. Not only does it require more voltage (1.65V vs. 1.5V), it also limits CPU overclocking due to the extra stress it puts on the memory controller. I run mine at DDR3-2133, 11-11-11-27.

So, in short, I really wouldn't worry too much about this if I were you. It's not like you paid a lot more for the TridentX than a standard DDR3-1600 kit, and it sure looks a lot cooler!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:14:28 AM by Ari Altman »

dubritski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »
thank you for your quick reply,
the parts haven't actually come in yet, so i was hoping to not waste time and send 1 back and order another and wait for shipping etc, if you think the pc will even work with the h97 and the memory i bought i will leave it at that, my concern was it wouldn't even power on with that memory kit.
my main concern was that the memory wasnt even listed on the msi webpage for compatible memory.

if i do have to throttle it down do you have any guides on how to do so?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:37 AM »
thank you for your quick reply,
the parts haven't actually come in yet, so i was hoping to not waste time and send 1 back and order another and wait for shipping etc, if you think the pc will even work with the h97 and the memory i bought i will leave it at that, my concern was it wouldn't even power on with that memory kit.
my main concern was that the memory wasnt even listed on the msi webpage for compatible memory.

if i do have to throttle it down do you have any guides on how to do so?

OK, if your concern was incompatibility, then you can rest assured that it will work. All RAM over DDR3-1600 is technically overclocked, and therefore the manufacturers build in a standard profile that will work on systems that do not support overclocking.

I've just gone ahead and tested one of my TridentX kits on all "Auto" settings (factory default), and it booted at DDR3-1600, 11-11-11-28, which is designed for maximum compatibility. In other words, it will work without any issues in your system. Once you get it up and running, we can circle back to tighten up the timings. I think 8-8-8-24 would be a safe bet and would add a bit of performance, and it's simple enough to do within the UEFI BIOS of your motherboard.

dubritski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »
Thank you so much!!!

dubritski

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
so all the parts came in today, i put it all together, and the only light that comes on is the power led, nothing happens when i click the power button :( i tried shorting the power button on the MB with a screw driver but nothing, no beeps when trying to power on without memory, not even a quick self test on the fans when i initially power on the pc.
is that a bad board or a bad psu? oh the joy of buying parts.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
so all the parts came in today, i put it all together, and the only light that comes on is the power led, nothing happens when i click the power button :( i tried shorting the power button on the MB with a screw driver but nothing, no beeps when trying to power on without memory, not even a quick self test on the fans when i initially power on the pc.
is that a bad board or a bad psu? oh the joy of buying parts.

Let's take this step by step and we'll get the system working. To be honest, most people who are building their first PC do not get it to boot on the first try. Just comes with the territory, but it definitely does not mean something is broken.

When you say you tried shorting the PSU, did you follow instructions you found elsewhere? I suggest using the paper clip PSU test described on the Corsair website.

If you find that using this test results in no power, then you can conclude you have a bad power supply. That is very rare, but it's possible.

Assuming you have a working power supply, proceed to the following steps:
(1) Pull one of the two RAM sticks out, leaving only the one further away from the CPU. While you're in there, also pull that stick and re-seat it, making sure it's lined up correctly and fully locked in.
(2) Remove the video card from the system, and connect your monitor cable to the motherboard's on-board video port.
(3) Pull and re-seat the two motherboard power cables (24-pin and 4+4-pin).
(4) Make sure that the motherboard is seated on the brass stand-offs that came with the case - if it's touching the bottom of the case, it will short out.

Check back if your system still won't boot after following these steps.

dubritski

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
as emberrased as i am to say it, it was user error, this is not the first pc i put together by far, so maybe i wasn't paying as much attention as i should.

i used the psu tester that came with the power supply, took everything apart and put it back together again
it ended up being the power jumper i put on the wrong pin on the MB.

everything is good now, updating windows :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
as emberrased as i am to say it, it was user error, this is not the first pc i put together by far, so maybe i wasn't paying as much attention as i should.

i used the psu tester that came with the power supply, took everything apart and put it back together again
it ended up being the power jumper i put on the wrong pin on the MB.

everything is good now, updating windows :)

Don't feel bad - about 50% of the time, I can't get my systems to boot on the first try, and I've built dozens. It's always something simple!

Glad you got it working - any other questions, just check back in here.

GatoRaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »
Hello all!

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I built the $750 TBG gaming build over the holidays and I absolutely love it! However, I'm wondering about an upgrade path from here. I have two questions:

1. Will this build support a hackintosh type upgrade if I add a second hard drive?

2. Are the new graphics cards worth purchasing now or is it better to wait in general?

Thank you for any consideration!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
Hello all!

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I built the $750 TBG gaming build over the holidays and I absolutely love it! However, I'm wondering about an upgrade path from here. I have two questions:

1. Will this build support a hackintosh type upgrade if I add a second hard drive?

2. Are the new graphics cards worth purchasing now or is it better to wait in general?

Thank you for any consideration!

Hey there, GatoRaiden, and welcome to the TBG Forum!

Glad to hear that your build is serving you well. As to your questions, here's what I can tell you:
(1) Running a Hackintosh setup is dependent on drivers. I would recommend you look into whether other users have used your particular motherboard to get one running. That's the critical component. Just about everything else is universal (video card needs to work too, of course).

(2) And as for your video card, assuming you have the Radeon R9 270X that was recommended back in December, the only cards at the same pricepoint, like the R9 280 currently recommended for the $750 Build, are about 15% faster. That isn't a big enough upgrade to make it worthwhile. Furthermore, the R9 280 has been discontinued and is starting to go out of stock - the only one at Amazon right now is this XFX model.

Generally speaking, for a video card upgrade to be worth it, a 50% jump in performance is ideal. Because it's only been about 6 months since you bought yours, that kind of upgrade is going to be a bit expensive. If you act fast (and I mean buy in the next few weeks), you can likely get a discontinued Radeon R9 290 4GB for around $270 at Newegg. AMD has replaced these with the $330 R9 390, which isn't what I'd recommend to you. The 290 is a much better deal, offering nearly identical performance. I have both the 270X that I believe you're running and the R9 290 - the 290 is 60-70% faster, a truly significant difference, and one you would definitely feel.

Hope that helps!

GatoRaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply! This totally helps. I forgot to mention that I went for the 280x instead of the recommended graphics card, so im guessing I should just wait to upgrade. Thanks again for the advice! I'll post the results of the hackintosh upgrade for those interested.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:20 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply! This totally helps. I forgot to mention that I went for the 280x instead of the recommended graphics card, so im guessing I should just wait to upgrade. Thanks again for the advice! I'll post the results of the hackintosh upgrade for those interested.

The 280X is a very capable video card. While the 290 is faster, the difference is only about 25%. You'd notice it, but just barely. Probably worth waiting until the next round of cards appears, which will hopefully be in about 6 months. Even then, your build will only be a year old - hardly outdated!

polybus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
Just wanted to drop a thanks.  I built my first PC based on this spec this week and I got it running well right at first try.  Was shocked it all worked on first attempt. 

I went for the 4590 which I found a bit cheaper on EBay but used your links for the other stuff.  Hope you got your credit.  I see you changed your vid card since I built but I guess its just cause the Zotac boyz upped their price.  I went for 8 GB Ram and the 600 w power supply, went for the SSD since I was looking forward to the loading times boost and had my old hard drive to add as a secondary.

Added an LG Blue Ray writer which is working well.  Upgraded to Win 10 without any issues and not any bluescreens in a few days so I think I'll be good to go. 

I played Witcher 3 on Highest settings and noticed the loading screens went away so fast, I can't even read the tips that they give you on on those screens heh.  Looking forward to the new Battlefront game.  I think I am ready.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Just wanted to drop a thanks.  I built my first PC based on this spec this week and I got it running well right at first try.  Was shocked it all worked on first attempt. 

I went for the 4590 which I found a bit cheaper on EBay but used your links for the other stuff.  Hope you got your credit.  I see you changed your vid card since I built but I guess its just cause the Zotac boyz upped their price.  I went for 8 GB Ram and the 600 w power supply, went for the SSD since I was looking forward to the loading times boost and had my old hard drive to add as a secondary.

Added an LG Blue Ray writer which is working well.  Upgraded to Win 10 without any issues and not any bluescreens in a few days so I think I'll be good to go. 

I played Witcher 3 on Highest settings and noticed the loading screens went away so fast, I can't even read the tips that they give you on on those screens heh.  Looking forward to the new Battlefront game.  I think I am ready.

Welcome to the forum, polybus, and thanks for sharing your positive experience with the build.

And yes, you are right, the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB dropped in price while the Zotac model went up since you purchased it, but they are very similar cards and will perform identically.

The SSD was a good choice, since you already had a hard drive. As you've discovered, it makes a huge difference in game loading times.

If you'd like to share photos of the build, I'd be happy to post them up in The Gallery along with a profile of your build.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:10:02 PM by Ari Altman »