Author Topic: "The horror, the horror"....  (Read 3568 times)

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
"The horror, the horror"....
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:54:11 AM »
Have Asus Pro Gaming MB, Corsair SF600, Corsair H100i V1 AIO, and 1080-FE...

Should I set up AIO's 2 fans to exhaust air, as the 1080 is doing? And if I do that, then do I need any/which case fans, location, and orientation...

Late for work....quick poorly worded post....bye.
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "The horror, the horror"....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:02:47 AM »
Have Asus Pro Gaming MB, Corsair SF600, Corsair H100i V1 AIO, and 1080-FE...

Should I set up AIO's 2 fans to exhaust air, as the 1080 is doing? And if I do that, then do I need any/which case fans, location, and orientation...

Late for work....quick poorly worded post....bye.

Sounds like your long-awaited NCase M1 has arrived, huh? Congrats!

For that case, you absolutely, positively must set up your AIO to exhaust the hot air rather than push it through the case. Your cooler comes disassembled, so it will be up to you to mount the radiator and fans, with the radiator bolted to the case panel and the fans pushing through it from inside. Choose your fan orientation wisely or your mini system may descend into the "heart of darkness."

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
Thanks.

Most parts not even out of boxes yet...busy.

I was thinking of a case fan for the back (rear) of the case, ...haven't checked the case details yet... This Noctua seems to be liked by quite a few folks... have to check if it will fit... Noctua NF-A9x14, (92x92x14mm), PWM, 4-pin, 2200/1700.
http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9x14-pwm

EDIT... Ncase M1 site says "1x80/92mm fan mount rear..."    :)            Set up to exit the air?

Maybe a better fan out there instead of the above?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:12:31 PM by Jury-Pool-Reject »
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 07:26:07 PM »
With 92mm fans, which tend to be a bit buzzy, don't take any chances. Go with Noctua. But be prepared to reduce RPMs from maximum. A low-noise adapter should be included with the fan if you buy retail.

The 92x92x14 would be fine, assuming the 92x92x25 can't fit.

And yes, exhaust would typically be right, but I don't know that case. If it has no intake fans, you'll need one.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
Case description says "2 120 mm fan mounts on side bracket, 2 120 mm fan mounts on bottom, 1 80/92 mm fan mount bottom, and 1 92 mm fan mount rear."
https://www.ncases.com/

The side case bracket for Corsair AIO rad and Corsair fans blowing out/thru rad, and then I'm not sure what to put where.

I'm hoping the 92x92x14 Noctua fan will fit the rear/backside of case but I'm wondering if the AIO's hoses will be in the way...

I believe (could be wrong) any fans on the bottom would be partially blocked by the 1080-FE that will be down there.

Tomm morning I'll have some time to start physically figuring out what is going to fit where, rather than just writing about it.

If I didn't already have a working desktop comp, I would have had the new one built by now.....

What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:50:38 AM by Jury-Pool-Reject »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »
Case description says "2 120 mm fan mounts on side bracket, 2 120 mm fan mounts on bottom, 1 80/92 mm fan mount bottom, and 1 92 mm fan mount rear."
https://www.ncases.com/

The side case bracket for Corsair AIO rad and Corsair fans blowing out/thru rad, and then I'm not sure what to put where.

I'm hoping the 92x92x14 Noctua fan will fit the rear/backside of case but I'm wondering if the AIO's hoses will be in the way...

I believe (could be wrong) any fans on the bottom would be partially blocked by the 1080-FE that will be down there.

Tomm morning I'll have some time to start physically figuring out what is going to fit where, rather than just writing about it.

If I didn't already have a working desktop comp, I would have had the new one built by now.....

What do you think?

I honestly think you're going to have to build this system up and then decide where fans are going to go. Ideally you'd put two 120mm fans at the bottom as intakes, and the 92x92x25mm fan in the rear (the 92x92x14mm fan is practically useless as an exhaust for a system this powerful), but I have no idea whether they'll conflict with other components. The way this case is designed, it's an either/or thing, not an and/or thing in terms of what can fit. Some manufacturers state specs like this once in a while, with the Ncase, basically every single feature is an either/or situation.

In short: build your system, take measurements, and then buy your fans.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »
Thanks.

I was thinking I just have to do it, then adjust...

bigred13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
Hey jury pool - I'm considering building a similar system with the ncase. How was your experience? Were you able to build the system? Did everything fit? How is the Boise/heat situation if you were able to get it working?

Thanks!

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
A bit ashamed to say I've hardly done anything to this point...

My current rig is running fast and fine... that's one rationalization. The real reason is, I see all these components on the dining room table with this little case, and I say to myself as I walk by, how in the hell am I going to fit all this stuff in that little, rectangular box...without getting OCD/anxiety...

Tomm (Monday) is a day off for me...     SO, 7am to Panera Bread for bagel/coffee, then home and I WILL get to it....

I've only mounted the SSD to outside/front of case frame. (all panels removed), and put the H100i V1 AIO block on the CPU w/ the MB outside the case to be sure it fit correctly. (it actually didn't fit because the V1 AIO did NOT have the right motherboard mounting bracket (had to take it from the V2 AIO, which I had purchased as well).

Tomm, will disconnect AIO from MB, put MB in the case just to judge the fit, etc. Then with the MB in the case, I'll mount the Corsair SF600 and it's cables in the case (think this will be the biggest horror, and I may possibly replace the Corsair cables w/ custom...not sure yet). Then, try to mount the AIO radiator to the side panel w/ stock fans (exhaust out) just to see how it fits. (but I will replace those prob with 2 Vardar 120 mm fans.) . I will also get 2 Noctua 120 mm fans as (intake) on the bottom of case. (I need to order these 4 fans tomm). I'm not getting a 92 mm fan for rear of case.... I don't think the Noctua 92x92x25 will fit there and Ari says the slimmer...x14 Noctua would be useless as exhaust.

I'll be drinking lots of coffee tomm and swearing I'm quite sure... but it will be fun, I keep telling myself....

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:04:50 PM by Jury-Pool-Reject »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »
Hey Jury-Pool,

Sorry to hear that the system hasn't quite gotten off the ground, but I definitely feel your pain. One of the luxuries of building in a big case is that you really don't have to "figure things out" before building the PC. The smaller the case, the more you have to plan your attack. Even then, sometimes things just don't go as planned when building an ITX system, and you end up with something like this:

Been there, done that! And the NCase M1 is a classic example of optimizing to the extreme, which sure looks cool in promo photos, but is really hard to put together.

I'm frankly quite surprised that NCase hasn't included a few sample builds on its website. It's charging a huge premium for the case, and in my opinion owes it to all the buyers who put down big money to pre-order the case to provide at least a little build help.

In the end, it's clear that Ncase continues to operate with a crowd-funded mentality: promise the world, deliver just slightly less. ;)

By the way, bigred13 decided to go with a SilverStone case since they aren't filled with quite as many pitfalls!

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »
 :o

Well, no side-window for that!  I agree about the lack of significant guidance for customers of the M1.

That Ncase M1 thread at Hard Forums has been very helpful to me.

Funny, I bought the Ncase M1 with the same mindset that I had when I purchased my 2013 Mini Cooper S. Life is short, and as Warren Zevon said, "Enjoy every sandwich."   :)