Author Topic: PSU for Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, nVidia 180-FE, and NCase M1....  (Read 2858 times)

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
Besides the Corsair SF600 and the SF450 PSU's, would this Silverstone SX600G be another possibility for my build?

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:23:18 AM by Jury-Pool-Reject »
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Besides the Corsair SF600 and the SF450 PSU's, would this Silverstone SX600G be another possibility for my build?

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en

The SilverStone SX600-G is based on a very old design, making it much louder than the vastly superior Corsair SF600 at the same price.

So, no, it's not a possibility, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

You do, however, have the option of using the incredible SilverStone SX700-LPT which I reviewed here. It's far better than either of the SFX 600W models. If you're looking to splurge, do it on the SX700.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
Wow, I like it, and esp w/ the larger/quieter fan.

The only problem for my build, AFAIK, is that this is the larger 'L' style of the SFX PSU's... In the NCase M1 chassis, I believe it will limit some of the things I could do w/other components in that case.... hope I'm wrong. I have some more reading to do, both at the Hard Forums' massively long Ncase M1 case thread and at the Ncase site itself.

EDIT.... Here is post #20510 ( Scroll down to that post) by rfarmer w/ a picture: "The power connectors on the SFX-L PSU will push down on larger graphics cards, causing them to sag."
https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase-m1-a-crowdfunded-mini-itx-case-updates-in-first-post.1717132/page-513#post-1042432952
This makes me sad... So I can't use that PSU with a 980Ti or 1080?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:29:30 AM by Jury-Pool-Reject »
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good catch. In other words, despite what Ncase says about SFX-L units possibly fitting, they really don't. Typical ITX marketing...

Stick with the Corsair SF600.

Honestly, the Ncase is cool, but it's not a case that would end up in my guides. Too difficult to work with and way too expensive. If you're dead set on waiting for yours due to the novelty, I understand, but you can get other cases today that will perform better while being easier to use. The Fractal Design Core 500 comes to mind for 1/3 the price.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
Yes, the Corsair PSU it is...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, the Corsair PSU it is...

Sorry to go off on a tangent regarding the Ncase you love so much. It's just that I've been burned many times recommending novel ITX cases to readers only to have components that should have fit according to the specs not work at all. That's why I build up and publish hands-on guides for just about every ITX machine I recommend, especially the small ones.

If Ncase wanted to send me a sample, I'd build it up as well, but something tells me they have all the orders they can handle...