Author Topic: Ordered the very small NCase M1 Mini-ITX case....  (Read 3103 times)

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
Ordered the very small NCase M1 Mini-ITX case....
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
After much gnashing of teeth over the last month or so, I ordered the NCase M1 (v5) Mini-ITX case(silver, with optical slot). It was a very tough decision, as each day it seemed I changed my mind, usually between the M1 and the Phanteks Evolv. It's shipping @ July 27th, and will take 1-2 weeks to arrive. (Lian Li, Taiwan)

The Phanteks is more practical (more room) and would be surely an easier assembly of the components. But dang, that small M1 just seduced me with modernity, smallness, and funkiness/coolness. I can put it, if I choose, right on my desktop with no problem. And it's just super-attractive.

I have not yet ordered my other components, but I'm leaning to:
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, Corsair AIO, EVGA FE 1080 I think is the one I need to get (blows out), Corsair LPX DDR4 (2x8GB), and the Corsair SF600 (debating getting the custom shorter cables).

I am concerned with the build, as over the years I have assembled 5-6 large case rigs with lots of room to work in. I'll just have to be patient and take my time.

Ari, I will order the other components through your links on this site.
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered the very small NCase M1 Mini-ITX case....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
After much gnashing of teeth over the last month or so, I ordered the NCase M1 (v5) Mini-ITX case(silver, with optical slot). It was a very tough decision, as each day it seemed I changed my mind, usually between the M1 and the Phanteks Evolv. It's shipping @ July 27th, and will take 1-2 weeks to arrive. (Lian Li, Taiwan)

The Phanteks is more practical (more room) and would be surely an easier assembly of the components. But dang, that small M1 just seduced me with modernity, smallness, and funkiness/coolness. I can put it, if I choose, right on my desktop with no problem. And it's just super-attractive.

I have not yet ordered my other components, but I'm leaning to:
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, Corsair AIO, EVGA FE 1080 I think is the one I need to get (blows out), Corsair LPX DDR4 (2x8GB), and the Corsair SF600 (debating getting the custom shorter cables).

I am concerned with the build, as over the years I have assembled 5-6 large case rigs with lots of room to work in. I'll just have to be patient and take my time.

Ari, I will order the other components through your links on this site.

I don't blame you at all - the NCase M1 is very slick. It's not cheap, and it's not necessarily going to be easy to use, but it looks really, really cool!

You are right on the money regarding parts:
(1) CPU: Core i7-6700K - clearly the only choice for a high-end ITX rig!
(2) Motherboard: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming - the best choice for a high-end system without going overboard.
(3) Video Card: GeForce GTX 980 Founders Edition - any brand is fine, although Zotac has been the easiest to find in stock over the past few weeks (and even then, it's not actually easy!). Definitely go FE here. Not only will open-air models fill the chassis with heat, they are unlikely to fit due to both their height and length.
(4) Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 - note that 280mm models like the H115i will not fit!
(5) RAM: Corsair 2x8GB DDR4-3200 - note that due to price hikes at fabs in South Korea, RAM prices are on the rise!
(6) Power Supply: Corsair SF600 - this is a good choice, but take note that you really only need the 450W model, as the 6700K and GTX 1080 will only use 300W at maximum overclocks. Then again, a 600W unit will be at its absolute sweet spot running at 50% load with this system.

Too bad you have to wait until mid-August to get this all together. That takes some patience!!!

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »
Thanks for advice...always appreciated. Oh, I'm getting the EVGA 1080-FE.

Shorter, custom cables help cut down on the clutter inside the M1... might do that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:25:26 PM by Jury-Pool-Reject »
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:26 PM »
Someone at HardForums suggested getting the Corsair AIO H100i v1 (original one) for the NCase M1 over the newer Corsair v2 model, because "...it has swivel barbs on the block, v2 doesn't. Makes it much easier to route your tubing..."

What do you think?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »
Someone at HardForums suggested getting the Corsair AIO H100i v1 (original one) for the NCase M1 over the newer Corsair v2 model, because "...it has swivel barbs on the block, v2 doesn't. Makes it much easier to route your tubing..."

What do you think?

I've reviewed both, and there's no doubt the H100i v2's tubes are much harder to position. It's not just the barbs, it's also the lack of pliability of the hoses. If you're concerned, I'd go with one of Ncase's recommended brands. They don't list corsair on the website, but do mention Swiftech's H220 and Cooler Master's Glacer 240L, both of which are discontinued. I'd suggest you reach out to the company for recommendations on this, as it's a very unusual case and they must know which coolers work best. The answer is definitely not going to be all 240mm coolers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:46:45 PM by Ari Altman »