Author Topic: modifications to '$500 Home Office Build' dated june 28,2016  (Read 1888 times)

jpheingr

• View Profile
I want to make some changes to the build referenced.  I want 2 optical drives in addition to a HD and SSD.  I also want USB 3 plugs on or near the front panel.

1) how do I add another power cable for the additional optical drive?  If I use some kind of adaptor, or additional cables, I don't know enough to buy something that is compatible with the Corsair CXM450M cables and plugs.

2)  Is the Silverstone PS09 mentioned as an alternative to the Zalman ZM-T2 still a recommended case for my use?  Size doesn't matter but the amount of noise the computer makes does.  I want something with a fairly plain face, no 'cool-looking' lighting.
I am not a gamer but I do photo editing, so plan to use the Core i5-6500quad-core cpu.

thanks, Jim

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: modifications to '$500 Home Office Build' dated june 28,2016
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »
I want to make some changes to the build referenced.  I want 2 optical drives in addition to a HD and SSD.  I also want USB 3 plugs on or near the front panel.

1) how do I add another power cable for the additional optical drive?  If I use some kind of adaptor, or additional cables, I don't know enough to buy something that is compatible with the Corsair CXM450M cables and plugs.

2)  Is the Silverstone PS09 mentioned as an alternative to the Zalman ZM-T2 still a recommended case for my use?  Size doesn't matter but the amount of noise the computer makes does.  I want something with a fairly plain face, no 'cool-looking' lighting.
I am not a gamer but I do photo editing, so plan to use the Core i5-6500quad-core cpu.

thanks, Jim

Welcome to The TBG Forum, Jim!

The SilverStone PS09 is a perfect choice for you. Not only does it have a very conservative appearance, but it has room for two DVD drives, which the Zalman ZM-T2 does not, and includes dual USB 3.0 ports on the front panel. It's also very quiet running due to its solid front face.

The Corsair CX450M has plenty of power connectors included in the box - in fact, its single SATA power cable has a total of four connectors, enough for two DVD drives, an SSD, and a hard drive. The only trick is that the drives need to be in close proximity, and the PS09's SSD mount is on the floor of the case, which will be too far of a stretch for the single cable to reach up to the top of the case for the DVD drives. I recommend you simply tuck the SSD above the hard drive (which should be placed in the highest hard drive mount). So you'll have DVD, DVD, SSD, HD, from top to bottom.

While you don't need extra power cables, you will need two extra SATA data cables, as the motherboard only includes two, and you'll have four drives in this system.

And just in case you were wondering, the Core i5-6500 will work perfectly in this system.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:47:36 PM by Ari Altman »

jpheingr

• View Profile
Re: modifications to '$500 Home Office Build' dated june 28,2016
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  You've answered my questions well.         ...Jim