Author Topic: TBG's $5,000 Ultra-Extreme Gaming/Productivity Build  (Read 4121 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's $5,000 Ultra-Extreme Gaming/Productivity Build
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's $5,000 Ultra-Extreme Gaming/Productivity Build
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
With the release of Intel's Skylake-E platform, this build has now been upgraded to the Core i7-7900X deca-core CPU!

Panzerbjrn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Hi, new here, just wanted to say that this looks amazing, but how quiet when idling is it likely to be?

I don't really care when it is in heavy use, that's fine, but if it is just idling while I'm watching something, I'd rather that it be quiet...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
Hi, new here, just wanted to say that this looks amazing, but how quiet when idling is it likely to be?

I don't really care when it is in heavy use, that's fine, but if it is just idling while I'm watching something, I'd rather that it be quiet...

Welcome to the forum, Panzerbjrn!

How quiet this system is largely comes down to the CPU cooler and video cards you choose. Note that this system now features AMD's Threadripper, which essentially requires a liquid cooler. The issue with liquid cooling is that there's always going to be some pump noise, even at idle.

To get a better sense of what happens on the GPU side when you go to liquid cooling, check out the article just published on TBG comparing the GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition to the GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid.

In short, if you just want the quietest idle possible out of a beast of a system like this one, you'd want dual air-cooled GPUs with enormous heatsinks, like the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3.

D2F

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
Hi, i知 wondering if this build will work with the cooler master H500P Mesh? I知 relatively new to pc building and I知 not sure.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »
Hi, i知 wondering if this build will work with the cooler master H500P Mesh? I知 relatively new to pc building and I知 not sure.

Welcome to the Forum, D2F!

The Cooler Master H500P Mesh is a great case - in fact, TBG reviewed it right here. It also appeared in TBG's monthly build guides for most of 2018, and would still be in the guides if it hadn't sold out during the holidays and remained out of stock for 3 months!

I actually noticed it had come back in stock a few days ago, so it's been on my mind. And the good news is that while it isn't the typical style for the $5,000 Gaming/Productivity Build, it will work with one minor change. The big issue for that build is the size of the cooler. The 360mm cooler won't fit in the H500P (at least not in the proper location, which is the roof of the case). So instead of that cooler, I recommend the Themaltake Floe 280mm, which is nearly as powerful and will fit perfectly. Thanks to the tremendous airflow of the case, you really don't need the bigger cooler anyway.

Forwards

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 10:09:16 PM »
So i just ordered this build off of amazon. I am a novice when it comes to building pc's. Will I need to do anything in the bios to ensure the pc and all of its parts are operating properly or is this a general plug and play? Also I have not received the components yet but I am wondering if the aio cooler covers the thread ripper and if it does not, is there much of a worry here?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
So i just ordered this build off of amazon. I am a novice when it comes to building pc's. Will I need to do anything in the bios to ensure the pc and all of its parts are operating properly or is this a general plug and play? Also I have not received the components yet but I am wondering if the aio cooler covers the thread ripper and if it does not, is there much of a worry here?

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Forwards!

There's nothing you'll need to do in the BIOS/UEFI before booting your system, although you'll eventually want to go in there and set your RAM speed. But the building process itself isn't affected by this.

As for the cooler, while there have been a couple of coolers released recently with larger surface areas designed specifically around the Threadripper heat spreader, the issue is that most of these coolers just aren't that great, so the bigger transfer surface isn't enough of a benefit. You'll be fine with the Thermaltake cooler listed in the guide. Yes, the Threadripper heat spreader is larger than the surface of the cooler, but because the cooler is so effective, it will still pull all the heat away from the CPU.

Once you have your components on hand, feel free to post back with questions.