Author Topic: TBG's $1,250 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build  (Read 47624 times)

Homitu

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,250 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:33 AM »

Sounds like you figured it out! Yes, indeed, you need all the PCIe cables attached. In general, you want to fill all the power receptacles in a PC. There's just one exception, which makes things confusing: some motherboards have two similar receptacles, an 8-pin and a 4-pin or an 8-pin, sort of like your video card, and most of the time you do not need to plug a power cable into both. But yes, for your video card, you do.

As for those random crashes, can you tell me if you changed any settings in the UEFI, like the RAM profile, overclocking, or power management? It sounds like your system has an instability related to a hardware setting. By the way, because the $1,250 buyer's guide is always changing, if you are still having trouble and want additional guidance, also list all the components in your build.

Is the UEFI separate from the BIOS?  If so, I've never even gone into it.  As for the BIOS, I don't believe I toggled everything.  Early on, I moved some sliders on MSI Afterburner just to mess around, but it immediately seemed to grow unstable, so I just reverted to default settings and left it at that since. 

My parts are below:

CPU   Intel Core-i7 8700
GPU   Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
RAM   Ballistix 2x8GB Sport LT DDR4-2666 SR
Motherboard   ASRock H370M-ITX/AC
SSD Hard Drive   Crucial P1 1TB NVMe
Power Supply   EVGA Supernova 550 GM
Case   Fractal Design Node 202
OS   Microsoft Windows 10 Flash Drive
CPU Cooler   Noctua NH-L9i

There is nothing in that build that would trigger crashes, as you can't overclock anything but the video card. Definitely make sure you've returned that to default. If it crashes again while gaming, check back in and I'll come up with some potential troubleshooting steps.

Morning Ari,

Sadly, I'm still experiencing crashes.  I'll be in the middle of a game, and the screen + mouse will freeze.  Interestingly, sound will continue for about 5 seconds before it begins to stutter/skip and freeze as well.  Then I'll receive a Windows blue screen that does a scan and reboot of my system.  See the below errors in my Event Viewer I receive each time this happens.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2019, 07:05:57 AM »
Homitu, are these errors always in the same game?  This doesn't look like a hardware-generated error. Can you list the game or games? Also, download the latest AMD Adrenaline driver just in case.

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:50 AM »
Ari, they appear to always be the same series of errors each time I crash.  It has occurred during 2 games thus far: Classic WoW and League of Legends.  Other active programs at the time are Chrome, Discord, Battle.net launcher, and Rainmeter + Wallpaper Engine. 

I'll try the driver when I get home.  What's that intended to do?  Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:03 PM »
Ari, they appear to always be the same series of errors each time I crash.  It has occurred during 2 games thus far: Classic WoW and League of Legends.  Other active programs at the time are Chrome, Discord, Battle.net launcher, and Rainmeter + Wallpaper Engine. 

You want the latest driver in order to run the RX 5700 XT at peak levels. It could be that you are using a generic driver right now that is causing crashes. You can find the driver download page here.

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »

You want the latest driver in order to run the RX 5700 XT at peak levels. It could be that you are using a generic driver right now that is causing crashes. You can find the driver download page here.

Oh, I thought maybe this was something different.  My Radeon drivers were all up to date as of last week.  That was one of the first things I did after finally getting my card up and running properly. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »

Oh, I thought maybe this was something different.  My Radeon drivers were all up to date as of last week.  That was one of the first things I did after finally getting my card up and running properly.

One thing toy could try, given the less demanding games you're playing, is running the system without a video card, just using Intel graphics. You'd be able to play the games at low quality levels to determine if they still crash. If they don't, then you may have an issue with the AMD video card, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It's likely barely running with those games, making an overheating issue nearly impossible.

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2019, 07:06:33 AM »

One thing toy could try, given the less demanding games you're playing, is running the system without a video card, just using Intel graphics. You'd be able to play the games at low quality levels to determine if they still crash. If they don't, then you may have an issue with the AMD video card, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It's likely barely running with those games, making an overheating issue nearly impossible.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Playing the games on high, even though not very demanding in the grand scheme, does seem to still be using the card a fair amount, if not quite pushing it.  At least as far as temps go, they linger around 78-82 degrees Celsius.  I sometimes load Afterburner to monitor temps, but otherwise haven't touched anything in it. 

Like I said, I haven't noticed a pattern to the crashes, which have happened maybe 4 times over 4 weeks?  I can go days without an issue; then, suddenly, during what I would have thought to be a rather innocuous moment of standard, light usage, it crashes.  Always while in the games, sometimes shortly after alt+tabbing back in. 

My only reservation with testing on the integrated graphics is that it might take a full week, or even two, of moderate play on poor settings before I can conclusively conclude it must have had something to do with my GPU.  Is there any other way that you know of to run a diagnostic on a GPU post-crash?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Playing the games on high, even though not very demanding in the grand scheme, does seem to still be using the card a fair amount, if not quite pushing it.  At least as far as temps go, they linger around 78-82 degrees Celsius.  I sometimes load Afterburner to monitor temps, but otherwise haven't touched anything in it. 

Like I said, I haven't noticed a pattern to the crashes, which have happened maybe 4 times over 4 weeks?  I can go days without an issue; then, suddenly, during what I would have thought to be a rather innocuous moment of standard, light usage, it crashes.  Always while in the games, sometimes shortly after alt+tabbing back in. 

My only reservation with testing on the integrated graphics is that it might take a full week, or even two, of moderate play on poor settings before I can conclusively conclude it must have had something to do with my GPU.  Is there any other way that you know of to run a diagnostic on a GPU post-crash?

There's really not much you can do post-crash. What you need to do is determine what is causing the crash, and I'm not convinced it's the GPU.

You should download a GPU benchmarking application and apply a stress test. MSI Afterburner has an add-on called Kombuster that would work. Try it out - it's available on the Afterburner download page.

Also, the alt-tabbing connection suggests that this may actually be an instability in the application. You might try that numerous times in a row while in one of your games that has crashed.

hyte

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Today at 09:36:41 AM »
Hi, first post and thanks for all of the information that is put together here, very helpful.

I'm looking at building the current iteration of the $1250 mini ATX gaming build. I've picked out the parts at PCPartPicker, and everything looks all set.
However i wanted to asked about the assembly guide, which appears to be based on a slightly earlier version of the build with different parts. The guide seems to suggest some minor difficulties in assembly and fitment, and I wanted to check and see if I'll run into any issues with the current iteration of the build? Note, I've been building my own pcs since 2000 (4-5 in that time each time I needed to rebuild), so I'm not entirely new at this. Definitely my first time doing a mini ATX though, so not really used to space being an issue.

Also, I'll likely be holding onto this and buying at Black Friday, as I'm not wedded to the particular brand on the video card, ram, etc. So i'll try and look for deals. Any thoughts as to how to keep track of where they might pop up?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card 
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  
Power Supply: Silverstone 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
« Last Edit: Today at 04:34:02 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Today at 04:39:55 PM »
Hi, first post and thanks for all of the information that is put together here, very helpful.

I'm looking at building the current iteration of the $1250 mini ATX gaming build. I've picked out the parts at PCPartPicker, and everything looks all set.
However i wanted to asked about the assembly guide, which appears to be based on a slightly earlier version of the build with different parts. The guide seems to suggest some minor difficulties in assembly and fitment, and I wanted to check and see if I'll run into any issues with the current iteration of the build? Note, I've been building my own pcs since 2000 (4-5 in that time each time I needed to rebuild), so I'm not entirely new at this. Definitely my first time doing a mini ATX though, so not really used to space being an issue.

Also, I'll likely be holding onto this and buying at Black Friday, as I'm not wedded to the particular brand on the video card, ram, etc. So i'll try and look for deals. Any thoughts as to how to keep track of where they might pop up?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card 
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  
Power Supply: Silverstone 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Welcome to the Forum, Hyte!

In terms of the difficulty of the build, small form factor PCs will always be more difficult than tower desktops. That just comes with the territory. The good news is that the move to an M.2 solid-state drive vastly decreases the amount of cabling required, and the SFX power supply also takes up less space than the SFX-L power supply used in the assembly guide. These are two tweaks made to the buyer's guide based on the experience building the system, as well as changes in the industry.

One thing I'd note is that the memory choice you have listed above really isn't optimal. The speed is way too slow, and the price isn't that good either when purchased as two separate sticks. Instead, you'd be much better off spending the same amount of money on the much faster Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 Kit.

Another thing I'll note is that all of the RX 5700 XT reference cards designed by AMD are identical, regardless of manufacturer, so I've substituted in one above that's currently available. Be careful not to be convinced by anyone to buy an RX 5700 XT with a custom cooler, as none of them will fit in this system.

One friendly reminder: PCPartPicker is actually a competitor of TBG's, so I've removed the PCPP links above. To the extent possible, please use the Amazon links provided above or in the $1,250 Slim Gaming PC Guide to purchase your products, as this will support TBG's work preparing these monthly guides and maintaining this Forum. Thanks for your consideration!

hyte

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Today at 07:40:24 PM »
Thank you for the help! I am of course happy to use your links, I'd like you to get some benefit from the work you put in!
Thanks for the edit on the RAM, I definitely didn't catch that.

I'll let you know how it goes!