Author Topic: TBG's $1,250 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build  (Read 45739 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
Do you have to worry about the SSD overheating?

Under sustained writes, a PCIe drive can definitely experience thermal throttling in a compact case like the RVZ01 or RVZ02, with the RVZ01 and cases built on the platform more susceptible to it.

Homitu

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,250 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #166 on: July 15, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
Hey all,

I'm a first time builder and looking to do this exact build.  The only thing I'm really not crazy about is the aesthetic of the case.  I was looking at this one instead: https://www.newegg.com/white-nzxt-h200-mini-itx-tower/p/N82E16811146302?reviews=all&item=N82E16811146302&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+%28computer+cases+-+atx+form%29-_-N82E16811146302&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKiGhfC34wIVB5-fCh1vXwzpEAQYAyABEgK-O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My basic question is would I have any issues with any of the parts for this build fitting into this case?  Overall, I imagine this case is somewhat larger, but it also appears to be more compartmentalized for each component.  I heard one reviewer say they couldn't fit a particular graphics card, for example. 

My secondary question is, would you recommend a water cooling system for this setup?  If so, what would you recommend?  I was leaning toward water A) for the aesthetic with the glass sliding cover, B) for the noise reduction, C) for the effectiveness.  My fear with the case was that due to its compartmentalization, certain sections may get hot, but I suppose I should trust in the design of the case that it's built to keep each section cool? 

All thoughts are welcome!  I'm debating pulling the trigger within the next 9 hours due to the sale window (which appears to be its all time lowest price.)

Thanks in advance! 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
Hey all,

I'm a first time builder and looking to do this exact build.  The only thing I'm really not crazy about is the aesthetic of the case.  I was looking at this one instead: https://www.newegg.com/white-nzxt-h200-mini-itx-tower/p/N82E16811146302?reviews=all&item=N82E16811146302&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+%28computer+cases+-+atx+form%29-_-N82E16811146302&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKiGhfC34wIVB5-fCh1vXwzpEAQYAyABEgK-O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My basic question is would I have any issues with any of the parts for this build fitting into this case?  Overall, I imagine this case is somewhat larger, but it also appears to be more compartmentalized for each component.  I heard one reviewer say they couldn't fit a particular graphics card, for example. 

My secondary question is, would you recommend a water cooling system for this setup?  If so, what would you recommend?  I was leaning toward water A) for the aesthetic with the glass sliding cover, B) for the noise reduction, C) for the effectiveness.  My fear with the case was that due to its compartmentalization, certain sections may get hot, but I suppose I should trust in the design of the case that it's built to keep each section cool? 

All thoughts are welcome!  I'm debating pulling the trigger within the next 9 hours due to the sale window (which appears to be its all time lowest price.)

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the case would work, and just so you know, it's cheaper at Amazon - this is really an Amazon Prime day special that Newegg is trying to match.

Keep in mind that this case is twice the size of the slim case in this build, so you're talking about a very different product class. But if you don't mind that, it would be a good choice, and easier to build in as well. I really don't think you need any liquid cooling for the level of components spec'd in the build. The only reason I'd consider liquid cooling is if you were using an RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GPU, which costs as much as this entire build, so I'm assuming you're not making that upgrade.

Just so you know, liquid cooling is not actually quieter than air cooling when all things are equal. In fact, liquid is always much louder at idle than a high-end air cooler, and it will be louder at load too when used on a low-wattage CPU like the one in this system. If you were concerned about noise, I would strongly suggest you upgrade to the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, which is currently on sale for $45 at Amazon and is among the quietest coolers I've ever tested.

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »
Hey all,

I'm a first time builder and looking to do this exact build.  The only thing I'm really not crazy about is the aesthetic of the case.  I was looking at https://www.newegg.com/white-nzxt-h200-mini-itx-tower/p/N82E16811146302?reviews=all&item=N82E16811146302&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+%28computer+cases+-+atx+form%29-_-N82E16811146302&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKiGhfC34wIVB5-fCh1vXwzpEAQYAyABEgK-O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds]this one instead:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the case would work, and just so you know, it's cheaper at Amazon - this is really an Amazon Prime day special that Newegg is trying to match.

Keep in mind that this case is twice the size of the slim case in this build, so you're talking about a very different product class. But if you don't mind that, it would be a good choice, and easier to build in as well. I really don't think you need any liquid cooling for the level of components spec'd in the build. The only reason I'd consider liquid cooling is if you were using an RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GPU, which costs as much as this entire build, so I'm assuming you're not making that upgrade.

Just so you know, liquid cooling is not actually quieter than air cooling when all things are equal. In fact, liquid is always much louder at idle than a high-end air cooler, and it will be louder at load too when used on a low-wattage CPU like the one in this system. If you were concerned about noise, I would strongly suggest you upgrade to the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, which is currently on sale for $45 at Amazon and is among the quietest coolers I've ever tested.

So much fantastic advice already!  Thank you so much. 

It looks like it's basically the same price on both Amazon and Newegg right now, and Newegg's deal lasts a little while longer, giving me more time to make my decision.  But since I'll be buying most everything else through Amazon, I might just go ahead and do that.  So thanks for the link!

Am I missing something with the dimensions?  The case I linked is 14.64 x 13.74 x 8.27 in = 1,750 cubic inches.  13 lbs.  The recommended case for this build is 5.7 x 18.2 x 13 in = 1,348 cubic inches.  So about a 22.4% increase in overall size.  I guess the big dimension is the increase in width, which is a 45% increase and might be an issue.  So little time to think about this..

Thanks for all of the advice about the cooling system.  Honestly, I've always dreamed of a liquid cooling system and a super visually cool build, but maybe that'll just be something for the future if I ever go all-out for a build.  I'll stick to the fans per your advice, and probably purchase that optional CPU cooler.

One last question now: while I'm not interested in absolute top of the line, I am wondering just how good of a gaming PC this will be, given the budget.  With the low wattage CPU, as you said, and this particular GPU, will it actually be able to play games at max settings for the coming few years?  I don't plan on streaming or recording or doing any heavy multitasking.  Just playing games (Guild Wars 2, Witcher 3 to start). 

I ask this last bit wondering if there would be any recommended affordable upgrades that would be a better given any increased room in my case. 

Thanks for everything!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:52:59 PM by Homitu »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2019, 06:06:47 PM »
Hey all,

I'm a first time builder and looking to do this exact build.  The only thing I'm really not crazy about is the aesthetic of the case.  I was looking at https://www.newegg.com/white-nzxt-h200-mini-itx-tower/p/N82E16811146302?reviews=all&item=N82E16811146302&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+%28computer+cases+-+atx+form%29-_-N82E16811146302&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKiGhfC34wIVB5-fCh1vXwzpEAQYAyABEgK-O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds]this one instead:

Thanks in advance!

So much fantastic advice already!  Thank you so much. 

It looks like it's basically the same price on both Amazon and Newegg right now, and Newegg's deal lasts a little while longer, giving me more time to make my decision.  But since I'll be buying most everything else through Amazon, I might just go ahead and do that.  So thanks for the link!

Am I missing something with the dimensions?  The case I linked is 14.64 x 13.74 x 8.27 in = 1,750 cubic inches.  13 lbs.  The recommended case for this build is 5.7 x 18.2 x 13 in = 1,348 cubic inches.  So about a 22.4% increase in overall size.  I guess the big dimension is the increase in width, which is a 45% increase and might be an issue.  So little time to think about this..

Thanks for all of the advice about the cooling system.  Honestly, I've always dreamed of a liquid cooling system and a super visually cool build, but maybe that'll just be something for the future if I ever go all-out for a build.  I'll stick to the fans per your advice, and probably purchase that optional CPU cooler.

One last question now: while I'm not interested in absolute top of the line, I am wondering just how good of a gaming PC this will be, given the budget.  With the low wattage CPU, as you said, and this particular GPU, will it actually be able to play games at max settings for the coming few years?  I don't plan on streaming or recording or doing any heavy multitasking.  Just playing games (Guild Wars 2, Witcher 3 to start). 

I ask this last bit wondering if there would be any recommended affordable upgrades that would be a better given any increased room in my case. 

Thanks for everything!

You are looking at the wrong dimensions. Those are for the shipping containers. The Fractal Node 202 is 11 liters, the NZXT H200 is 27 liters. Absolutely huge difference, not even close to the same product category.

As for the CPU and GPU, remember what you're trying to do - build a balanced system. The Core i7-8700 is a fantastic choice to be paired with the RX 5700 XT. It will max out that GPU. Do you need a Core i9-9900K for another $200? No, you'll get absolutely nothing out of it unless you also double your budget for the GPU. That's what balance is all about. So if you'd like an upgrade, let me know what your total budget is and I can suggest something, but randomly choosing one or the upgrade could end up netting you nothing at all in terms of performance.

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »

You are looking at the wrong dimensions. Those are for the shipping containers. The Fractal Node 202 is 11 liters, the NZXT H200 is 27 liters. Absolutely huge difference, not even close to the same product category.

As for the CPU and GPU, remember what you're trying to do - build a balanced system. The Core i7-8700 is a fantastic choice to be paired with the RX 5700 XT. It will max out that GPU. Do you need a Core i9-9900K for another $200? No, you'll get absolutely nothing out of it unless you also double your budget for the GPU. That's what balance is all about. So if you'd like an upgrade, let me know what your total budget is and I can suggest something, but randomly choosing one or the upgrade could end up netting you nothing at all in terms of performance.

Oh wow, where can I see the actual dimensions (HxLxW)?  Really good call then, and glad I asked. 

Noted on the other components.  I think maybe I'll just stick to the pure recommended build then, after all. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »

Oh wow, where can I see the actual dimensions (HxLxW)?  Really good call then, and glad I asked. 

Noted on the other components.  I think maybe I'll just stick to the pure recommended build then, after all.

I always suggest going to the manufacturer's website, but dimensions are also listed for all builds on TBG's main DIY PC page. That wouldn't help you with the H200i, as it's not currently among the recommended cases, but it's been on my mind for a while as a possible substitute in an existing buyer's guide, so I happened to know the volume off the top of my head. ;)

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2019, 01:44:34 PM »
I always suggest going to the manufacturer's website, but dimensions are also listed for all builds on TBG's main DIY PC page. That wouldn't help you with the H200i, as it's not currently among the recommended cases, but it's been on my mind for a while as a possible substitute in an existing buyer's guide, so I happened to know the volume off the top of my head. ;)

Gotcha, must be nice to have that wealth of knowledge stored in there ;)

So I just placed orders for all of these parts, including the CPU cooler you recommended in your other post.  We'll see how it goes!  I do have a few general prep questions:

1) Is there a type of twist-tie you recommend I purchase (from maybe a hardware store?) before my parts come in to help tie loose chords and keep them organized?  Will anything do? 

2) Will all of the cables be long enough to reach the power supply & MOBO, or will I potentially need any extensions? 

3) Installing the Windows OS: will it be as simple as plugging the flash drive into any USB port before booting for the first time?  This is literally my first go at a build completely from scratch.  I've upgraded individual parts before, but that's about it.

Thank you again so much for the assistance and feedback!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »

So I just placed orders for all of these parts, including the CPU cooler you recommended in your other post.  We'll see how it goes!  I do have a few general prep questions:

1) Is there a type of twist-tie you recommend I purchase (from maybe a hardware store?) before my parts come in to help tie loose chords and keep them organized?  Will anything do? 

2) Will all of the cables be long enough to reach the power supply & MOBO, or will I potentially need any extensions? 

3) Installing the Windows OS: will it be as simple as plugging the flash drive into any USB port before booting for the first time?  This is literally my first go at a build completely from scratch.  I've upgraded individual parts before, but that's about it.

Thank you again so much for the assistance and feedback!

Congrats on the PC purchase - you'll enjoy building it! And your experience upgrading parts in the past means you at least know what each of the components is that you're looking at and where they generally go in the PC. That's a great start!

In terms of ties, I'd use plastic zip ties - they're tighter and not conductive. All your cables will be long enough - in fact you may decide they're too long, but that's the nature of building a mini-ITX system - everything is very close together!

Windows should begin loading as soon as you plug the USB stick in and power on the system, but if you have any issues with that, I can help you trouble-shoot them.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »

Uh, oh, hold on a minute - you purchased the Scythe Mugen cooler? That is a great option, but it won't fit in the slim case - it was an upgrade option for the NZXT H200 case, which is much larger. In the Fractal Node 202 case, your only option is the Noctua NH-L9i. Sorry for any confusion!

Homitu

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »

Uh, oh, hold on a minute - you purchased the Scythe Mugen cooler? That is a great option, but it won't fit in the slim case - it was an upgrade option for the NZXT H200 case, which is much larger. In the Fractal Node 202 case, your only option is the Noctua NH-L9i. Sorry for any confusion!

You know what?  I was so close to asking you to confirm that would fit before purchasing for exactly this reason.  Oh well, I'll have to see if I can return it or resell it (or cancel the order if it's not too late.)  I'll go ahead and purchase the other one included in this guide. 

Man, I'd truly have been lost with trying to find the right parts to fit this case on my own, and I am in need of an extremely tiny case at the moment (sharing a desk with my girlfriend in a relatively tiny 1BR apartment in a big city).  So I'm extremely grateful to have found your all inclusive guide!  Thanks so much again!

Stan Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2019, 06:39:47 AM »
First time PC builder here, I'm looking at building something along the lines of the $1000 e-sports build (or at least, that price range, mainly for gaming, with occasional productivity) and I have a couple of questions:

1. My first question is about the GPU - the July update is the first one I've noticed to use the blower type card, and you mention this is better for the SFF case. Have you done some testing on this for any similar cases? Most reviews seem to suggest that blowers cooled GPUs are hotter and louder, which makes sense looking at the tiny slots they're trying to blow the air out of the back. I'm wondering if it's worth holding off until August when the AiB twin fan versions of the RX 5700 come out. (I'm also using the Silverstone FTZ01 case, which I bought almost on impulse when I saw it for 50, if this makes any difference cooling-wise, with its larger dimensions and case fans).

2. CPU - I'm considering getting a replacement cooler for the CPU if it will make a significant difference to temperature and noise. But I've also heard that AMDs stock coolers are pretty good - in which case I could go for the Ryzen 5 2600X, which is about the same at the i5-9400f on Amazon right now, and save myself the cost of the cooler.

3. Would there be any benefit to going to a more efficient PSU (e.g. the gold/platinum Corsair 450W model) in terms of system noise, or do you not really notice them with all the other fans going?

4. I wasn't going to get an internal optical drive, but my case has a slot. As much to catch any disk that an unsuspecting friend/family member might post in, do you have any recommendations here? Doesn't need to be anything special, I'll only use it for copying CDs, and very occasional DVD watching.

Many thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »
First time PC builder here, I'm looking at building something along the lines of the $1000 e-sports build (or at least, that price range, mainly for gaming, with occasional productivity) and I have a couple of questions:

1. My first question is about the GPU - the July update is the first one I've noticed to use the blower type card, and you mention this is better for the SFF case. Have you done some testing on this for any similar cases? Most reviews seem to suggest that blowers cooled GPUs are hotter and louder, which makes sense looking at the tiny slots they're trying to blow the air out of the back. I'm wondering if it's worth holding off until August when the AiB twin fan versions of the RX 5700 come out. (I'm also using the Silverstone FTZ01 case, which I bought almost on impulse when I saw it for 50, if this makes any difference cooling-wise, with its larger dimensions and case fans).

2. CPU - I'm considering getting a replacement cooler for the CPU if it will make a significant difference to temperature and noise. But I've also heard that AMDs stock coolers are pretty good - in which case I could go for the Ryzen 5 2600X, which is about the same at the i5-9400f on Amazon right now, and save myself the cost of the cooler.

3. Would there be any benefit to going to a more efficient PSU (e.g. the gold/platinum Corsair 450W model) in terms of system noise, or do you not really notice them with all the other fans going?

4. I wasn't going to get an internal optical drive, but my case has a slot. As much to catch any disk that an unsuspecting friend/family member might post in, do you have any recommendations here? Doesn't need to be anything special, I'll only use it for copying CDs, and very occasional DVD watching.

Many thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, Stan Hope!

You're off to a good start with the SilverStone FTZ01, that's a beautiful case! Let me get to your questions straight away:

(1) GPU - I actually did do this testing, and you can see it right here! I can almost guarantee you that's the only published review in the entire world that actually tested open-air versus blower-style GPUs in this case! The other concern I have about open-air coolers is that almost all models are now 2.5 slots wide, which wouldn't work in the RVZ02 (but would in the FTZ01). So it's a combination of factors, really, and by the way, the chances of open-air RX 5700 models hitting the market in August is slim to none. Much more likely September.

(2) Coolers - Be careful about dimensions - you suggested the 2600X, which uses a 72mm-tall cooler that wouldn't fit in the RVZ02, but would in the FTZ01. So it's a good choice for you, but not for others who might be following this thread and using the RVZ02! By the way, if you have the budget for it, yes, get an aftermarket cooler. The Wraith Spire cooler that comes with the 2600X is very effective, but it's still not what I'd call quiet. I'd drop a 70mm-tall Noctua NH-L12S in there for absolute silence. Again, this is only an option in the FTZ01, not the RVZ02. And it's totally optional with either the 9400F or 2600X, as they both come with coolers.

(3) PSU - you'll definitely notice more heat and fan noise from a cheaper PSU, and you'll be using about 10% more electricity too. Also, modular cables are a huge benefit in small cases, and the lower-end SFX PSUs don't have them. So again, if you have the budget for it, grab one of the models recommended in TBG's higher-end ITX buyer's guides. Typically Corsair or SilverStone, but EVGA is attempting to steal market share away from both of them with its new Supernova 550 GM, which offers more power for less money (at least in the US).

(4) Optical drive - you'll need to go with an expensive slot-loading model, unfortunately, but if you're willing to stick with a DVD rather than Blu-Ray drive, at least it won't cost a fortune. Here's SilverStone's SOD04 for 61, more than you paid for the case, but that's only because you found such a hot deal on the FTZ01!

Stan Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2019, 06:21:13 AM »
Perfect, thank you. That GPU cooler review is just what I was looking for. So as I read it, the open air coolers are better, even in a sff case like the RV02 (and by extension the better cooled FTZ01) if you're not oveclocking (unless I missed something about CPU temps). Given the reported noise of the RX5700, I'd be better spending my 40 of cooler money on a Nvidia RTX 2060 super to get a marginal performance improvement and much quieter operation. I can't see any on Amazon UK, but if you can benefit from links elsewhere, ebuyer has a good deal: https://www.ebuyer.com/900783-msi-geforce-rtx-2060-super-ventus-oc-8gb-graphics-card-rtx-2060-super-ventus-oc

That Silverstone drive is pretty expensive, would this one work? LG GS40N 9.5 mm Slim Slot Loading Internal DVD-W for Notebooks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z7HPQ50/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9fhmDb0B9ZKAV
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:10:16 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Perfect, thank you. That GPU cooler review is just what I was looking for. So as I read it, the open air coolers are better, even in a sff case like the RV02 (and by extension the better cooled FTZ01) if you're not oveclocking (unless I missed something about CPU temps). Given the reported noise of the RX5700, I'd be better spending my 40 of cooler money on a Nvidia RTX 2060 super to get a marginal performance improvement and much quieter operation. I can't see any on Amazon UK, but if you can benefit from links elsewhere, ebuyer has a good deal: https://www.ebuyer.com/900783-msi-geforce-rtx-2060-super-ventus-oc-8gb-graphics-card-rtx-2060-super-ventus-oc

That Silverstone drive is pretty expensive, would this one work? LG GS40N 9.5 mm Slim Slot Loading Internal DVD-W for Notebooks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z7HPQ50/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9fhmDb0B9ZKAV

The issue with an open-air cooler in a slim case is that once you start pushing it, it affects everything else in the system. That's what the TBG testing shows. So people can talk about how great an open-air cooler is because all they're monitoring is the GPU, but they aren't considering what's going on in an actual slim system.

Luckily, the RTX 2060 Super is a bit more efficient than the GTX 1080 that was tested. The RTX 2060 Super was paper-launched at the beginning of July, and the MSI Armor version you found just hit stores in the past few days. It's the only RTX 2060 Super available on Amazon.com, and I see it's not on Amazon UK yet. You can go ahead and buy it from ebuyer, I've confirmed that it isn't too large to fit in the SilverStone case. I don't have an affiliate link, but go ahead and grab it there if you'd like. I may switch the guides to this card in August, assuming availability picks up.

And yes, you can use the LG drive, although it seems availability is quite limited (optical drive production has essentially ceased, especially for these specialty drives). You can use the link here if you'd like to buy it from Amazon UK.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:32:48 PM by Ari Altman »