Author Topic: TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build  (Read 13367 times)

slai50

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »
I really like the case of this build. Is it possible to put in an i7-7700k processor and a GTX 1080 graphics card instead? If yes, would I need to change out any other components of this build?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2017, 06:18:46 PM »
I really like the case of this build. Is it possible to put in an i7-7700k processor and a GTX 1080 graphics card instead? If yes, would I need to change out any other components of this build?

I am actually running a system like this in the slim RVZ02 case, and it works, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First, overclocking the 7700K is out of the question.  It will run far too hot. Second, the GTX 1080 will produce a lot of heat, and you're better off getting a GTX 1080 Founders Edition with its blower cooler.

I know lots of folks say all sorts of bad things about blower coolers, which is why TBG actually tests this stuff.  I currently have three GTX 1080 cards (two open-air and one Founders Edition) being put through a cooling test in ATX and ITX cases, single and SLI, to demonstrate the true outcomes of blowers versus open air coolers.  Look for that next week!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:27:43 PM by Ari Altman »

vorno

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »
Hey guys,
Just saw the April 17 update to this guide - curious as to the details behind the changes. So there's a different motherboard and a different SSD.

Is the ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac much better? Or was this change based on price?
I was keen on the Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WiFi as it looks like I can get a hackintosh working on it.

Same for the SSD change. Is the Samsung drive faster somehow? It's more expensive and slightly smaller capacity.

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »
Hey guys,
Just saw the April 17 update to this guide - curious as to the details behind the changes. So there's a different motherboard and a different SSD.

Is the ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac much better? Or was this change based on price?
I was keen on the Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WiFi as it looks like I can get a hackintosh working on it.

Same for the SSD change. Is the Samsung drive faster somehow? It's more expensive and slightly smaller capacity.

Thanks!

All good questions, vorno!

The AsRock Z270 board only recently became available, and it's a better price than the Gigabyte, and I do prefer its layout significantly for this particular system. Front-mounted SSD slot, better USB 3.0 placement.

You got everything right on the SSD selection. The Samsung 850 Evo is faster, more expensive, and lower capacity, making the Crucial MX300 an equally good substitute.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:48:52 PM by Ari Altman »

slai50

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2017, 05:04:51 AM »
if I was to use a ryzen 5 1600 cpu and gtx 1070 graphics card with this build, what other changes to the other components of this build would you recommend, if any?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
if I was to use a ryzen 5 1600 cpu and gtx 1070 graphics card with this build, what other changes to the other components of this build would you recommend, if any?

You'd need to change the motherboard and RAM, and would use the stock cooler, not an aftermarket model. TBG will consider moving this build to Ryzen next month, but for now cannot recommend this move as AM4 ITX boards are not yet available.

PoisonViolet

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
Hey there  :) really enjoyed reading and learning a lot from this and other build's posted on the site, and from your reply's to others.

I have a few questions:
1-From what I could figure out, the RVZ02B model with the plastic windows has no dust filters, and the other one which is all black does have dust filters,is there a difference in air flow between the two ?
2- after some more research I saw some people recommend the Cryorig C7, is there actual difference? or is it just personal preferences?
3- Oh, and another small thing, I'm not much of a gamer but sure like the option to play something if I all of a sudden feel like it and not stress about it,kind of already thought of the 3GB model due to lower budget. Does it still have reasonable performance or should I try and stick with the 6GB?
are there maybe other downgrade options you have in mind, or from the options available today the GeForce GTX 1060 is a pretty safe and reasonably priced item?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:23:48 PM by PoisonViolet »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Hey there  :) really enjoyed reading and learning a lot from this and other build's posted on the site, and from your reply's to others.

I have a few questions:
1-From what I could figure out, the RVZ02B model with the plastic windows has no dust filters, and the other one which is all black does have dust filters,is there a difference in air flow between the two ?
2- after some more research I saw some people recommend the Cryorig C7, is there actual difference? or is it just personal preferences?

Welcome to the forum, PoisonViolet!

Two good questions there.  As to the RVZ02, yes the all-black model has a smaller vent with a mesh filter, while the acrylic version has a much larger vent and no filter. In my experience, filters are only necessary when used with a case fan directly behind them. They otherwise catch very little dust, as little dust is drawn in from general negative pressure in cases. I therefore strongly recommend the acrylic RVZ02. The case attracts very little dust, but certainly needs all the airflow it can get.

The Cryorig C7 is a good alternative, but not one I've tested yet. I did, however, publish a review of the tower-style H7, and it was fantastic, so i expect nothing less from the C7. My only concern would be ITX case and motherboard compatibility, which you cannot take for granted. I believe, however, that Cryorig designed the cooler with this specific use in mind. Just note that it's much smaller than necessary for this build and I highly doubt it will perform as well as the larger Silverstone AR06.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:31:10 PM by Ari Altman »

PoisonViolet

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
Thanks for the super fast reply! 8)
I was a bit late, but I remembered another question I had, and I added it to my original post. sure like your opinion on it too please .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:35:50 PM by PoisonViolet »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »
Thanks for the super fast reply! 8)
I was a bit late, but I remembered another question I had, and I added it to my original post. sure like your opinion on it too please .

Totally understand the desire to save a bit of money on the video card if gaming isn't a priority. As it turns out, I'm really not a big fan of the GTX 1060 3GB. The truth is that it should never have been called a GTX 1060, because it's actually a significantly slower GPU. In other words, Nvidia's naming scheme is misleading. It doesn't help that 3GB is the bare minimum to support 1080p gaming today, and will be insufficient within a year or so.

I would either stick with the GTX 1060 6GB, or if you'd like to save a bit of money, go with the Radeon RX 480 4GB.

vorno

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2017, 04:00:57 AM »
Hi Ari,

So I followed your guide (Feb 2017) and built a nice new PC. I bought the Silverstone ML08B-H Case for a more subtle look.
Also managed to install Mac OS and Windows on the M.2 drive. Very happy with it all.

One question for you. In Windows device manager, I have one component that is seemingly without a driver - the PCI Simple Comms Controller (see screenshot here http://imgur.com/a/dxvkL )

Should I find the driver for this? Is it a big deal? I'm a little reluctant to install a bunch of Intel software to fill up my system tray with not much benefit. Do you know which driver is best (GA-Z270N-Wifi board.)

Also, given I haven't built/installed Windows since Win2000 days (I had dual Celeron CPUs on an Abit BP6 mobo!), are there any performance tweaks I need to make to take full advantage of the hardware? Or is Win 10 pretty good out-of-the-box? I've got latest Nvidia driver installed, but I guess that's about it.

Thanks for wonderful guide!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
Hi Ari,

So I followed your guide (Feb 2017) and built a nice new PC. I bought the Silverstone ML08B-H Case for a more subtle look.
Also managed to install Mac OS and Windows on the M.2 drive. Very happy with it all.

One question for you. In Windows device manager, I have one component that is seemingly without a driver - the PCI Simple Comms Controller (see screenshot here http://imgur.com/a/dxvkL )

Should I find the driver for this? Is it a big deal? I'm a little reluctant to install a bunch of Intel software to fill up my system tray with not much benefit. Do you know which driver is best (GA-Z270N-Wifi board.)

Also, given I haven't built/installed Windows since Win2000 days (I had dual Celeron CPUs on an Abit BP6 mobo!), are there any performance tweaks I need to make to take full advantage of the hardware? Or is Win 10 pretty good out-of-the-box? I've got latest Nvidia driver installed, but I guess that's about it.

Thanks for wonderful guide!

Glad you like the build, vorno!

I totally understand your hesitation to install tons of poorly-described motherboard software, but it turns out that the error you're encountering would be fixed simply by installing the Intel Management Engine driver. You can read about the error here.

IME is always provided by motherboard manufacturers, including Gigabyte. Here's the download location for your motherboard. You'll find IME in the chipset category. I'd strongly recommend you also install the audio and LAN drivers, as these will ensure an error-free experience.

In terms of tweaks, you really don't have to do too much, but make sure you've enabled the XMP profile for your high-end memory (assuming you purchased the DDR4-3000 kit in the guide). Also, given that you have an overclockable processor, you can always try adding a bit of speed to your system. Something like a 42x multiplier on the Core i5-7600K would be easy and trouble-free, with the board taking care of any additional voltage necessary. It will improve performance by about 10%.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:03:09 AM by Ari Altman »

vorno

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Thanks Ari,
I'll try installing the drivers in the next day or two.
Quick q about overclocking. What program(s) do you use to test the stability when you overclock?
Thanks again

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
Thanks Ari,
I'll try installing the drivers in the next day or two.
Quick q about overclocking. What program(s) do you use to test the stability when you overclock?
Thanks again

Keeping in mind that this system is not designed for extreme overclocking due to its limited cooling, I would recommend the following two applications:
(1) CPU-z, which allows you to monitor clock speed and voltage, and has a benchmarking program with a moderate stress test. I find this very good for determining if an overclock has actually taken effect and whether voltages are safe (I never, ever want to see anything above 1.35V for the CPU Vcore, and honestly for your system 1.25V would be the limit).
(2) Intel Burn Test, which will immediately push any CPU cooler to 100% capacity and can easily cause CPUs to throttle by pushing them over 100C. It will report minor crashes and will lock up your system with a major crash. Sound scary? Just get a feel for it by using it at stock settings. It may be too much for the system even at that level.

pixelsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Have you tried using the i7-7700k processor and the Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming motherboard (mostly b/c I need an optical audio out), as is used in the $1500 micro itx build, but in this case? I'm also thinking the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8GB card would be a worthwhile upgrade. The i7's threading capabilities would be a boon for some of the games I'd look to play, which tend to be more CPU bottlenecked than GPU.

I wouldn't be including an optical drive, so there'd be more room for airflow, but it would be put into a spacious media cabinet with a mesh front, not truly open-air, but in a separate compartment from where other heat-producing components like an AVR are kept. I wonder if I should aim for using something more like the RVZ03 case, which has active cooling instead of passive?

Thanks for your insights and experience (and drive to share it)!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:13:19 AM by pixelsguy »