Author Topic: TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build  (Read 25599 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2017, 11:03:53 PM »
Hello again!
I'm almost finished collecting all the components for this great build, but I have another small question.

I am not from the U.S, so i'm finding it a bit hard to get the ASRock
can you please recommend of any possible substitutions?

thanks for your help :)

My favorite board is the Asus Z270I, but it's a lot more expensive. In the same price range as the Asrock the only option would be a Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi.

sbi85

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »
Hey guys,

I love the upgrade of this system to the 8th gen now available.

The specs seem well adjusted. However I like the case of this one (https://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-build) much better.
Do you see any issues if I would swap the cases? Should everything fit and work properly?

I was considering the i5-8600K CPU a bit but I would not overclock it and without that the difference seems marginal while the price gap is massive. Would you agree?

PS. I hope by the end of the month the ingredients will actually be available and not always out of stock (and in europe)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
Hey guys,

I love the upgrade of this system to the 8th gen now available.

The specs seem well adjusted. However I like the case of this one (https://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-build) much better.
Do you see any issues if I would swap the cases? Should everything fit and work properly?

I was considering the i5-8600K CPU a bit but I would not overclock it and without that the difference seems marginal while the price gap is massive. Would you agree?

PS. I hope by the end of the month the ingredients will actually be available and not always out of stock (and in europe)

Welcome to the TBG Forum, sbi85!

You're not alone in hoping that these Intel parts actually become easier to buy. Even the Core i5-8400 is selling out here in the US, while the 8600K has not yet shipped, and the Core i7-8700K seems unlikely to even be released until November. A bit disappointing, but this is what companies do in the face of competition - they announce products early, before they are ready.

So, in terms of your interest in building the $1,200 system in the SilverStone SG13 case used in the $1,500 build, it can definitely be done, but you have to make a few adjustments. Because the SG13 has an ATX power supply mount, you need the SilverStone PP08 adapter to use the smaller STX PSU standard. You also need to remember that you cannot use an optical drive in the SG13 case. As long as you're OK with these changes, the build will drop right in.

sbi85

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Ari :)

Yeah, I don't really need an optical drive nowadays. Very rarely would I use it, it would just be a waste of space and this little case looks so nicely compact.

I saw the Adapter and also the additional fan for the case itself. Awesome. It should be a nice upgrade to my Sandy Bridge PC.

Thanks for the help. I'll see if there is any sort of good deal I can actually snatch with Black Friday coming up and all.

sbi85

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2017, 04:26:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I've seen that the build page changed to i7 7700 from the 8400. Understandable, but for my planning I'd stick to the 8400. I think parts will be available before Xmas when I am buying it (though you might have updated the build again by then).
Can you please list the parts that were with the 8400 processor? I think the change probably only affects the motherboard. Or CPU cooler also? Can't remember.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:29:21 AM by sbi85 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »
Hey guys,

I've seen that the build page changed to i7 7700 from the 8400. Understandable, but for my planning I'd stick to the 8400. I think parts will be available before Xmas when I am buying it (though you might have updated the build again by then).
Can you please list the parts that were with the 8400 processor? I think the change probably only affects the motherboard. Or CPU cooler also? Can't remember.

Agreed that the Core i5-8400 will likely be available before Xmas, but it's unclear whether it will be here before the big Black Friday shopping week. As for the motherboard that was previously recommended, it's the ASRock Z370M-ItX/ac, which is the only moderately-priced ITX board available. Remember, a chip like the 8400 cannot be overclocked, and should really be paired with an H-series motherboard, but Intel decided to only launch high-priced motherboards for this chip release.

MaxmoDK

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2017, 04:03:54 AM »
Hi Ari

I have been following this site for some month now and I'm finally ready to build my own mini-itx system, thanks to your amazing work. I'm trying to find some good offers on black friday and then get started.
I love the slim design of the Silverstone ML08B, but I my budget bigger than $1,200, therefor I wan't to upgrade some of the parts.
I play games like PUBG and battlefield 1 and the plan is to get a 144 MHz (2560x1440 resolution) monitor. I haven't been overclocking my computer, but maybe I would do so in the future, if the temperature would allow it in such a small case?
I have been looking to go with the following items based on your guides. Would you say that this build would be a great fit for the slim case?

Case: SilverStone ML08B
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING (or MSI Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC)
CPU: i5-8600K
RAM Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 Black (or DDR4-3200 which is cheaper right now).
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Mini 8GB (I own that already)
PSU: Corsair SF450 (or maybe the new SilverStone SST-SX500-G?)
CPU cooler: SilverStone AR06 (Can the new Noctua NH-L12S be used instead?)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E500BW 500 GB (or WD Black PCIe WDS512G1X0C 512 GB or WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD WDS100T2B0B 1 TB)
Second HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB Hybrid Hard Drive (alternative my old 512 GB Samsung evo SSD)

I took the ASUS ROG motherboard because it has 2 x M.2 and 7 USB ports. The ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac, don't have an optical output, so that is out of the question.
I'm in doubt about the SSD's, if I should go with lover speed and choose 1TB instead. I'm also skipping the dvd drive.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:45:03 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
Hi Ari

I have been following this site for some month now and I'm finally ready to build my own mini-itx system, thanks to your amazing work. I'm trying to find some good offers on black friday and then get started.
I love the slim design of the Silverstone ML08B, but I my budget bigger than $1,200, therefor I wan't to upgrade some of the parts.
I play games like PUBG and battlefield 1 and the plan is to get a 144 MHz (2560x1440 resolution) monitor. I haven't been overclocking my computer, but maybe I would do so in the future, if the temperature would allow it in such a small case?
I have been looking to go with the following items based on your guides. Would you say that this build would be a great fit for the slim case?

Case: SilverStone ML08B
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING (or MSI Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC)
CPU: i5-8600K
RAM Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 Black (or DDR4-3200 which is cheaper right now).
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Mini 8GB (I own that already)
PSU: Corsair SF450 (or maybe the new SilverStone SST-SX500-G?)
CPU cooler: SilverStone AR06 (Can the new Noctua NH-L12S be used instead?)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E500BW 500 GB (or WD Black PCIe WDS512G1X0C 512 GB or WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD WDS100T2B0B 1 TB)
Second HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB Hybrid Hard Drive (alternative my old 512 GB Samsung evo SSD)

I took the ASUS ROG motherboard because it has 2 x M.2 and 7 USB ports. The ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac, don't have an optical output, so that is out of the question.
I'm in doubt about the SSD's, if I should go with lover speed and choose 1TB instead. I'm also skipping the dvd drive.

Thanks in advance

Hello MaxmoDK, and welcome to the Forum? Can I assume you're in Denmark?!?

That's a very nice parts list you have there. A few thoughts for you:

(1) overclocking in this case is going to be quite limited, and no, the Noctua NH-L12S will not fit. I'd stick to stock speeds or a very small overclock (10%) with the Core i5-8600K. It won't help much for gaming paired with the 1070 Ti, which will be the limiting factor at 1440p in most games.
(2) The new SilverStone SX500-G has a bit more headroom than the SF450, and with your parts selections, I would recommend it.
(3) In the US, Corsair's DDR4-3000 is on Black Friday special, making it much cheaper than DDR4-3200 right now, but you should just get whatever is cheaper when you're ready to buy.
(4) Skip the WD Black PCIe drive. It's too slow. I'd go for the 960 Evo 500GB paired with the FireCuda for a very nice combination of fast OS and games performance and a decent storage drive. I've tested the FireCuda 2TB, and it's pretty good with often-used applications that it keeps in cache. Alternatively, if you only wanted one drive and didn't need 2TB of capacity, then yes, I'd go with the WD Blue 3D 1TB. Most people really don't need more than 1TB of capacity, and having it all on a single fast SSD makes things simple and lag-free.

MaxmoDK

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »
Hi Ari

Thank you and yes I'm from and in Denmark.

I just have a few questions left.

1) I don't need to overclock. But would the i5-8600k still be the CPU to choose or should I pick the i7-8700?
2) I have a lot of data (2 TB on a second HDD right now), but the next step will be to buy the NAS Synologi DS218+, so I think I'm gonna pick the Samsung 960 EVO and buy the Seagate FireCuda until I'm ready and have a budget to try the NAS server.
3) I found out that I might have a problem with buying the SilverStone SST-SX500-G. It's not arrived to in Denmark yet, but maybe Amazon.co.uk is my friend. Is the SilverStone SST-SX500-G also quiet compared to the Corsair SF450?

Thank you for your fast reply and help. I will make sure to post some pictures when I'm building the case (probably mid december).

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »
Hi Ari

Thank you and yes I'm from and in Denmark.

I just have a few questions left.

1) I don't need to overclock. But would the i5-8600k still be the CPU to choose or should I pick the i7-8700?
2) I have a lot of data (2 TB on a second HDD right now), but the next step will be to buy the NAS Synologi DS218+, so I think I'm gonna pick the Samsung 960 EVO and buy the Seagate FireCuda until I'm ready and have a budget to try the NAS server.
3) I found out that I might have a problem with buying the SilverStone SST-SX500-G. It's not arrived to in Denmark yet, but maybe Amazon.co.uk is my friend. Is the SilverStone SST-SX500-G also quiet compared to the Corsair SF450?

Thank you for your fast reply and help. I will make sure to post some pictures when I'm building the case (probably mid december).

The Core i7-8700 is a different class of processor than the Core i5-8600K. For gaming, I'd choose the 8600K, because even with mild overclocking it will outperform the 8700.

Sounds like your SSD choice has been made, makes sense given your heavy data storage needs.

The SilverStone SX500-G is actually louder than the Corsair SF450 at idle, but likely quieter at load, particularly because it has more overall capacity and the SF450 will be running pretty hard with the upgrades you're looking at.

MaxmoDK

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2017, 01:02:28 AM »
Hi Ari

Perfect, now everything is in place except the PSU. I just found out that it would be cheaper for me to buy the Corsair SF600 (around $10-15), since the SX500-G isn't available in Denmark yet. I guess it should be a no brainer to choose the SF600 instead? But I also don't mind spending $30-40 more on another PSU, if it would get me some lower temperatures and/or lower noise level.

Edit: I've seen on some forums and reviews that the SF600 is a bit loud. Have you had any problems with it? If that's the case, then I think that the SX500-G or even the SX650-G would be a better choise, if I can find some offers on Amazon.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:15:02 AM by MaxmoDK »

sbi85

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2017, 06:45:11 AM »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to check the RAM.
There is the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz in the guide. Which I can get for around 165.58.
However things like a HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) CL15 3000MHz DDR4 is available at 109.99.

Is there such a difference in performance?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to check the RAM.
There is the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz in the guide. Which I can get for around 165.58.
However things like a HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) CL15 3000MHz DDR4 is available at 109.99.

Is there such a difference in performance?

Hey there sbi85, and welcome to the Forum!

Right now, RAM prices are increasing at a very fast pace, due to a massive chip shortage. The price you found for the Predator RAM seems very unlikely to be correct. Is it actually in stock at that price? If so, get it while you can. The Corsair RAM is closer to the worldwide average right now for DDR4-3000. The one thing I don't like about it for this build is that its extremely high profile, and will limit cooler upgrade options in the future, although the cooler recommended in the guide will work just fine.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
Hi Ari

Perfect, now everything is in place except the PSU. I just found out that it would be cheaper for me to buy the Corsair SF600 (around $10-15), since the SX500-G isn't available in Denmark yet. I guess it should be a no brainer to choose the SF600 instead? But I also don't mind spending $30-40 more on another PSU, if it would get me some lower temperatures and/or lower noise level.

Edit: I've seen on some forums and reviews that the SF600 is a bit loud. Have you had any problems with it? If that's the case, then I think that the SX500-G or even the SX650-G would be a better choise, if I can find some offers on Amazon.

MaxmoDK - I haven't personally used the SF600, but I do think it's pushing the limits for the cooling system Corsair is using. One of the issues is that Corsair uses a zero-fan mode, so it's silent at idle, but it can heat up during this time and then require a much faster fan once it hits high load. Keep in mind that these small PSUs do tend to be a bit louder at load than other models. I've tested a variety of SFX and SFX-L models, and if you'd like the ultimate setup, go with SilverStone's SFX-L unit. This is a truly phenomenal PSU, and will fit fine in the slim gaming build. It's far over-spec'd for the build as set forth in the guide, but you're making some upgrades that make it worthwhile. And it is amazingly quiet. Far, far better than either the SX650-G or Corsair SF600. It's a truly premium PSU.

MaxmoDK

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
Ari - The PSU looks great, but it also looks like it uses some kind of zero-fan mode, so would it also give me some problems?

But I think this PSU might be the right choise, even though I've seen that others had some problems with the fan controller.

I just hope that the temps won't get too high in this small case. You're sure that ML08 can handle it or should I find an alternative case with a bit more room in it? I still want's a slim like the ML08 or FTZ01, but I don't see many other alternatives.