Author Topic: TBG's Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling a Gaming/HTPC Mini-ITX PC  (Read 9385 times)

opticoptions

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling a Gaming/HTPC Mini-ITX PC
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
And yes, of course the system can be used as an HTPC. I confirmed with SilverStone that there is a design flaw in the SX500 power supply that causes it to make a very noticeable rattling sound, so I hope you got the Corsair unit. Noise is one thing that can make a powerful PC less than optimal for HTPC use.

Hi Ari. I'm following the build and buyer's guide for the March '17 $1,500 VR-Ready build in the sg13b case and was wondering if I should follow the guide with the SX500 power supply or if I should get the Corsair unit you mention above? I'm using this as an htpc as well as gaming pc, primarily as an htpc, so sound will be an issue. Will the corsair fit in this build? When I add it to pc part picker it says it won't fit.

Thanks for the guides, as a first-time builder  it's been very helpful achieving what I'd like to have in my living room.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling a Gaming/HTPC Mini-ITX PC
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
And yes, of course the system can be used as an HTPC. I confirmed with SilverStone that there is a design flaw in the SX500 power supply that causes it to make a very noticeable rattling sound, so I hope you got the Corsair unit. Noise is one thing that can make a powerful PC less than optimal for HTPC use.

Hi Ari. I'm following the build and buyer's guide for the March '17 $1,500 VR-Ready build in the sg13b case and was wondering if I should follow the guide with the SX500 power supply or if I should get the Corsair unit you mention above? I'm using this as an htpc as well as gaming pc, primarily as an htpc, so sound will be an issue. Will the corsair fit in this build? When I add it to pc part picker it says it won't fit.

Thanks for the guides, as a first-time builder  it's been very helpful achieving what I'd like to have in my living room.

Glad to hear you've found this site helpful, opticoptions!

If you're interested in the SG13, I'd advise you use the current May 2017 $1,500 Buyer's Guide featuring that case. It will provide you all the parts you'll need. By the way, PCPartPicker has its place, but they don't actually build systems, and use simple specifications and algorithms to say what works and what doesn't. Therefore, they won't tell you how to actually do what you want. The Corsair SF450 would work if you purchased the SFX adapter listed in TBG's guide.

Also note that the quote you pulled regarding the SX500 is quite old, and SilverStone has in fact released the SX500 v2 that no longer has the problem. I've confirmed with them that all SX500 models currently available at retail are v2. You can certainly use the SF450, but the SX500 is a slightly higher-performance unit and quieter at load.