Author Topic: TBG's $1,250 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build  (Read 29937 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's $1,250 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »
Have questions about TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build? Post them here!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:35:00 PM by Ari Altman »

hariscordelli

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,200 Slim Gaming Mini-ITX Build
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »
Hi,
I'm looking to build this exact PC, but over here in the UK the SilverStone RVZ01B-E isn't available unless I order from the USA on Amazon (which can take several weeks, and I need to build it within a week or two).
Is there any places in the UK that anyone knows of that sells this particular case?
If not, what other mini atx cases do you recommend that would fit every component listed in the $1200 slim gaming rig? (I know the PSU listed is an ATX fit, so for a case that doesn't support this which SFX PSU should I get instead of the ATX one listed?)
Many Thanks!!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
Hi,
I'm looking to build this exact PC, but over here in the UK the SilverStone RVZ01B-E isn't available unless I order from the USA on Amazon (which can take several weeks, and I need to build it within a week or two).
Is there any places in the UK that anyone knows of that sells this particular case?
If not, what other mini atx cases do you recommend that would fit every component listed in the $1200 slim gaming rig? (I know the PSU listed is an ATX fit, so for a case that doesn't support this which SFX PSU should I get instead of the ATX one listed?)
Many Thanks!!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, hariscordelli!

The Slim Gaming PC is brand-new this month, but in fact there have been many other ITX builds on TBG over the past few years that are just as slim, using similar SilverStone cases. I'd strongly urge you to check out the original SilverStone RVZ01, which has been available in the UK for quite some time. Its major limitation is that it requires an SFX or SFX-L power supply, and I recommend that you choose either the Corsair SF450 Power Supply if using a video card like the GTX 970, or the Corsair SF600 if you'd like to drop in an ultra-high-end video card. While SilverStone makes its own SFX units, they aren't as good, and its stellar new SX700-LPT SFX-L unit, which was just reviewed on The Tech Buyer's Guru, isn't yet available in the UK it seems.

The original RVZ01 will fit every other component listed in the Slim Gaming PC buyer's guide, and can even use a slot-loading optical drive, if that interests you.

michaelsammler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:30:09 AM »
How much clearance is needed around this case for proper air flow?
I'm thinking of a shelf under the tv lying it down. It's a pretty spacious shelf.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:41:24 AM by michaelsammler »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:29 AM »
How much clearance is needed around this case for proper air flow?
I'm thinking of a shelf under the tv lying it down. It's a pretty spacious shelf.

Good question! Because this case has plenty of interior space for airflow, it can handle itself pretty well even in low-airflow environments. If you lay it down, one side will obviously be against a shelf and get little airflow. I would make that the CPU side. The video card intake will be on the other side, and I'd suggest at least 1" of clearance above that intake to allow air to be pulled in and exhausted adequately.

greyhail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:52:13 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for the amazing and informative guide.
I'm looking to build something like this in Ireland!
This is what I have come up with so far: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HR6r7h

My only worry is that the new MSI GTX 1070 will not fit into the case.
Another thing, is this probably the best case or the only case around this size?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 05:00:20 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for the amazing and informative guide.
I'm looking to build something like this in Ireland!
This is what I have come up with so far: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HR6r7h

My only worry is that the new MSI GTX 1070 will not fit into the case.
Another thing, is this probably the best case or the only case around this size?

Hello greyhail from Ireland!

You'll have no problem fitting the GTX 1070 on this case, however rather than the extra-tall MSI model you're looking at, I'd strongly suggest the EVGA GTX 1070 SC, which is smaller, faster, and the same price (but out of stock right now). I'm currently testing this card in preparation for a review, and it's great!

Note that you have the RVZ01 on your list, rather than the newer RVZ01-E, which is in short supply. Both are the same size, with the "E" model updated for use with standard ATX power slots supplies.

There is no other case this size that can perform at this level.

jpd511

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
Hi everyone,
I finished my build yesterday. Besides the SSD, I did not change anything from the recommended setup and even got a RVZ01-E. Additionally I installed some red LED stripes :)
The wiring and the CPU cooler setup can be a bit tricky, but overall there were no major problems. The PC boots and the BIOS system information (temperatures and frequencies) looks good. By the end of this week I will have Windows and Linux installed and tested and then I can deliver some benchmarks if desired.
Have fun building this Mini-ITX :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:27:30 AM »
Hi everyone,
I finished my build yesterday. Besides the SSD, I did not change anything from the recommended setup and even got a RVZ01-E. Additionally I installed some red LED stripes :)
The wiring and the CPU cooler setup can be a bit tricky, but overall there were no major problems. The PC boots and the BIOS system information (temperatures and frequencies) looks good. By the end of this week I will have Windows and Linux installed and tested and then I can deliver some benchmarks if desired.
Have fun building this Mini-ITX :)

This is great feedback, jpd511. Which SSD did you go with?

Was the issue with the cooler related to its large size or the mounting mechanism?

jpd511

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
First of all I want to say thank you for the build proposal! :) It was fun to build and I really like the small size, my 8-year old gaming PC was twice the size.

I installed two SSDs: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB and Crucial MX300 750GB, the Samsung was already installed in my old PC. I just bought the Crucial, since it was on offer in a shop nearby.

The issues were mostly related to the small size. The mounting mechanism of the cooler is fine. You just have to get your wiring clean and get all the wires out of the way. The PC cooler was the last thing I installed (before the graphics card) and it was not so easy to install the final mounting bracket of the cooler. But finally I did it somehow :)

I have another question: in the BIOS, my RAM is set at 2199MHz instead of 3000MHz. In the article you said this can be easily fixed in the BIOS, however, the value is greyed-out (read-only). Does anybody of you know how I can fix this?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
First of all I want to say thank you for the build proposal! :) It was fun to build and I really like the small size, my 8-year old gaming PC was twice the size.

I installed two SSDs: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB and Crucial MX300 750GB, the Samsung was already installed in my old PC. I just bought the Crucial, since it was on offer in a shop nearby.

The issues were mostly related to the small size. The mounting mechanism of the cooler is fine. You just have to get your wiring clean and get all the wires out of the way. The PC cooler was the last thing I installed (before the graphics card) and it was not so easy to install the final mounting bracket of the cooler. But finally I did it somehow :)

I have another question: in the BIOS, my RAM is set at 2199MHz instead of 3000MHz. In the article you said this can be easily fixed in the BIOS, however, the value is greyed-out (read-only). Does anybody of you know how I can fix this?

Ah yes, installing the cooler when the motherboard is in the case would not be easy, but I'm glad you figured out a way to do it! I've done this in my Raven case when I've switched coolers, and it's very tight indeed.

Your RAM is likely defaulting to 2133MHz, which is the standard for Skylake processors. To enable the XMP profile on your RAM (which is 3000MHz if you chose the RAM recommended in the guide), you need to go into the Gigabyte M.I.T. menu in the UEFI, and near the bottom of the list you'll see an option for the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.), which you can enable (it is disabled by default). If you have 3000MHz-rated RAM, enabling it will simply set it at 3000MHz, there is no other option for you to select for XMP. You can adjust speeds manually, but I do not recommend this approach.

jpd511

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 04:30:45 AM »
Your RAM is likely defaulting to 2133MHz, which is the standard for Skylake processors. To enable the XMP profile on your RAM (which is 3000MHz if you chose the RAM recommended in the guide), you need to go into the Gigabyte M.I.T. menu in the UEFI, and near the bottom of the list you'll see an option for the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.), which you can enable (it is disabled by default). If you have 3000MHz-rated RAM, enabling it will simply set it at 3000MHz, there is no other option for you to select for XMP. You can adjust speeds manually, but I do not recommend this approach.

Thank you, that did the trick. I had to set it from "Default" to "Profile 1". The task manager now shows 3000MHz. I think the next step would be to increase the CPU multiplicator about 20% and test the result with Prime95.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 07:19:37 AM »

Thank you, that did the trick. I had to set it from "Default" to "Profile 1". The task manager now shows 3000MHz. I think the next step would be to increase the CPU multiplicator about 20% and test the result with Prime95.

Good to hear that worked out.

20% on the processor would take you to 4.3GHz or so. The motherboard will automatically increase voltage to compensate, but if it's unstable, you may need to start tweaking voltage. On my test sample, 4.4GHz was the limit before manual tweaking became necessary.

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »
Would there be any issues dropping in a 6700k  instead of a 6600k?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
Would there be any issues dropping in a 6700k  instead of a 6600k?

No, you can definitely use a 6700K, but keep in mind that at equal clocks, the 6700K runs hotter than the 6600K, so you have to be careful about extreme overclocking, given the low-profile cooler required for this case.