Author Topic: Thoughts on the Carbide Series Air 540 from Corsair  (Read 2387 times)

aenimalus

• View Profile
Thoughts on the Carbide Series Air 540 from Corsair
« on: June 02, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »
Hey Ari,
         I seem to have found a case that I am absolutely certain is the one for me.  Seeming to allow enough room to build a system that will be expandable into the future.  I just wanted to get your take on the case as a functional gaming case.  I'm a little concerned about the only airflow in the back half of the case being the PSU.  Obviously it could be modified to my comfort level should I so choose.  Anyway,  What would you consider to be the biggest pros and cons?  Seeing as you have the knowledge you do in the building department.  Also which of your buyer's guide builds would fit comfortably in this case?  Just in case there is too much going on in some of them to make this a bad choice.

Thanks,
Josh
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:14:42 PM by aenimalus »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Carbide Series Air 540 from Corsair
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
Hey Ari,
         I seem to have found a case that I am absolutely certain is the one for me.  Seeming to allow enough room to build a system that will be expandable into the future.  I just wanted to get your take on the case as a functional gaming case.  I'm a little concerned about the only airflow in the back half of the case being the PSU.  Obviously it could be modified to my comfort level should I so choose.  Anyway,  What would you consider to be the biggest pros and cons?  Seeing as you have the knowledge you do in the building department. 

Thanks,
Josh

Hey there Josh,

Up until March of this year, the Corsair Carbide Air 540 was the recommended case for the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC Build. You can see it listed in the $2,000 Build Archive all the way back to December 2014.

But times change, and the Air 540 is no longer all that cutting edge. I have some experience with it, and I'd say the fit and finish isn't up there with other cases in its price range, and the overall layout has been surpassed by systems that drop the optical drive bays for front-mounted fans. It also has a huge footprint and a lot of under-utilized space inside.

That being said, it's certainly a fine case, and if you like the shape and style or if you need its large number of drive bays, it will perform quite well. I just wouldn't go in thinking it will somehow outperform other newer cases, like the SilverStone PM01 Primera that was just selected as the recommended case for the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC Build for June 2016.

aenimalus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
Fair enough.  I'm usually a function over form guy but something about it just strikes me.  Probably lack of research causing me to have never seen the style.  It's unique to me is all.  I'll do some research and see what I can come up with in that style.  It's interesting.  The footprint doesn't bother me at all.  Space isn't an issue. 

Josh

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »
I don't think you'll find any other cases with that layout. Just go for it if it appeals to you. My one tip: the Air 540 looks best in silver:

aenimalus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »
Color is a whole other argument.  It does look good in silver though.  I appreciate the advice once again.