Author Topic: TBG's Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling an Extreme Gaming ITX PC  (Read 6506 times)

Engali

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling an Extreme Gaming ITX PC
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
Hello Ari,

I just noticed that the stick of RAM in the A slot is not being recognized. I will try to re-seat it and see if it works, but if not, which cooler would you recommend for this mobo? The builds after the 9/2016 one I based my build on recommend the Silverstone AR03 or the Noctua NH-U14S. Thanks!

Vincent

EDIT: Never mind, I just pushed it down more and it clicked into place. Tight, but it works.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:59:18 AM by Engali »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »
Hello Ari,

I just noticed that the stick of RAM in the A slot is not being recognized. I will try to re-seat it and see if it works, but if not, which cooler would you recommend for this mobo? The builds after the 9/2016 one I based my build on recommend the Silverstone AR03 or the Noctua NH-U14S. Thanks!

Vincent

EDIT: Never mind, I just pushed it down more and it clicked into place. Tight, but it works.

Glad you got it working. This is a common problem with DDR4 memory - it is much harder to install than DDR3, and in my experience it routinely isn't recognized unless it's 100% inserted. 99% is not enough!

Whitman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice.  I am looking to build the ultimate gaming but with a 1080 (EVGA 1080 SC2) instead of the Ti, and no optical drive.  I am wondering if the Seasonic focus series 550W would be good, it is 10mm shorter and a bit cheaper then the 650W EVGA G3.  I am also planning to use an AIO liquid cooler.  I will move the PC quite often and worry about the air cooler cantilevered off the motherboard.  The Fractal S24 has quiet reviews and looks like it would fit well wi th tfront bracket removed.  Will that work well in this case or should I look for a larger case like the Nano S?  I would like to overclock a bit and like small, but cool and quiet are more important to me as I expect to be sitting next to it.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:40 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice.  I am looking to build the ultimate gaming but with a 1080 (EVGA 1080 SC2) instead of the Ti, and no optical drive.  I am wondering if the Seasonic focus series 550W would be good, it is 10mm shorter and a bit cheaper then the 650W EVGA G3.  I am also planning to use an AIO liquid cooler.  I will move the PC quite often and worry about the air cooler cantilevered off the motherboard.  The Fractal S24 has quiet reviews and looks like it would fit well wi th tfront bracket removed.  Will that work well in this case or should I look for a larger case like the Nano S?  I would like to overclock a bit and like small, but cool and quiet are more important to me as I expect to be sitting next to it.

When it comes to PSUs in the Fractal Design Core 500 case, the shorter the better. The Seasonic Focus 550W is a brand-new model, and I had not looked at its specs closely, but it is indeed 10mm shorter than the EVGA Supernova G3 550W. Having seen a few reviews of the Focus series, I'm also pretty confident that the quality is right up there, if not quite at the same level as the Superflower-based Supernova. It's certainly a fine choice for this build, and 550W is just plenty for a Core i7-7700K and the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2, which together will draw about 300W under load.

As for your cooler question, I agree that a liquid cooler is a better choice if the system is going to be transported regularly, as a large tower cooler can strain the motherboard if jostled. That being said, fitting a 240mm liquid cooler into this case would require an extreme amount of patience, and frankly I don't think it would be worth the effort. Go with a 120mm model instead. You'll really be up and running much faster. The best 120mm cooler on the market is the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120. It's a fantastic value, and while you may not be able to use both of its fans, it will work fine with just one. You'll just need to experiment with the space available in the case with everything mounted. Just one caveat: if by "move the PC" you mean just move it around your home, there's no need to worry about damaging it with an air cooler installed. If you mean transporting it by car or plane, then yes, it's a concern. I personally like air coolers in this build because they allow for an ultra-quiet system.

And no, I wouldn't go with the Fractal Nano S. It's not portable and not really all that compact, and getting it just to fit a big liquid cooler wouldn't be the right approach in my opinion. It would be like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:46:24 AM by Ari Altman »

Whitman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »
Thanks Ari, The moving will be mostly by car between home, school and internships so it is good to know the liquid makes sense for me.  I'll go with the Seasonic Focus, Arctic Liquid Freeze 120 and pass on the sledgehammer.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
Thanks Ari, The moving will be mostly by car between home, school and internships so it is good to know the liquid makes sense for me.  I'll go with the Seasonic Focus, Arctic Liquid Freeze 120 and pass on the sledgehammer.

Sounds like a plan!